Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Google for dummies
  • Kryton57

So, Android phone arrives tomorrow. Am I right in the Google is now basically iCloud, in that I can add gmail, google calendar, maps, photos etc all to my phone and when I access via the web I can see it all – basically an online central resource paired with my phone?

What else is useful / clever?

DickBarton

Yes

Standby for a multitude of suggestions and then a flood of people saying it isn’t as good as X…

fifeandy
    Free Member

Yes, you’re right.
    I hardly use a fraction of what it can do, but calendar tied up between phone and tablet is handy sometimes.

Kryton57

Right, a good start then. now to work out how my Sky email account can be reflected in Gmail…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

BURN THE HERETIC!

😉

ThePinkster

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    BURN THE HERETIC!

Is there an app for that?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

iPyre

jairaj

now to work out how my Sky email account can be reflected in Gmail…

You have two options:

1) You should be able to configure the phone’s email app to add your Sky email account to it as well as gmail or work or any other email accounts you have.

2) You should be able to setup email forwarding on your sky account. So when ever an email is received on your sky account it will auto forward it to anther account e.g. gmail account.

matt_outandabout

Yes – all the Google apps ‘talk’ to each other really well, but really improved if you download the Google Now launcher on your phone instead of whatever app the manufacturer supplies. Give the Launcher and apps like calendar and maps permission to use location data etc – then it all works seamlessly…. 😀 usually 😉

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.launcher&hl=en_GB

matt_outandabout

now to work out how my Sky email account can be reflected in Gmail…

Open Gmail
    *add account*
    done.

aracer
    Free Member

You have two options:

Option 3, get your Gmail account to retrieve emails from your sky account using pop3 or imap (and if you want to send via it using smtp)

That’s what I do with my legacy yahoo email account

CraigW
    Free Member

You don’t need to use the official Google apps for everything. There are some alternatives, which may be nicer.
    eg for email, I like K9-Mail. You can set it to use your Gmail account, or any other email accounts.
    For a calendar, I prefer aCalendar+. It still uses the Google Calendar service, so it can sync with other devices, or view in your browser etc.
    For maps, I like Maps.Me. It is based on OpenStreetMap, and lets you download offline maps for the whole country.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Keep is a very good, simple note taking app.

bikebouy
    Free Member

iWishI’dboughtsomethingwhichjustdoesthejob

aracer
    Free Member

Not happy with your iPhone bikebouy?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nope, ecstatic 😀

It just works.

matt_outandabout

Keep is a very good

+1

I’ve had my first ‘poor’ Google app recently. I tried out Trip. Just didn’t work automatically as promised from inbox.

Kryton57

Thanks Moab.

Google now looks promising if not a bit too proactive for me. I’m likely to use calendar, mail and photo storage mainly.

BigJohn

I’ve had my first ‘poor’ Google app recently. I tried out Trip

Did it keep falling over?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Where’s Whoppit ??

matt_outandabout

Did it keep falling over?

matt_outandabout

looks promising if not a bit too proactive for me

It’s disconcerting when your phone beeps and tells you to leave early as the Train is delayed or traffic jam…

cp

Am I right in the Google is now basically iCloud, in that I can add gmail, google calendar, maps, photos etc all to my phone and when I access via the web I can see it all – basically an online central resource paired with my phone?

Aye, has been for many many years.

It’s disconcerting when your phone beeps and tells you to leave early as the Train is delayed or traffic jam…

Useful as this is, you can always switch off/not use as you want.

sniff
    Free Member

Embrace the Inbox app for your email. Snoozing stuff til later and alerts based on content are some of the most useful tricks.

Kryton57

Inbox app? Well I don’t have the phone yet so I guess I have this all to discover…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Google for dummies’ is closed to new replies.