Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Google Drive and backed up photos
  • nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve got a load of photos on my PC, about 160Gb. They are all backed up on various USB and network drives so pretty happy for that point of view but just thinking about an online back-up, partly for extra backupness and partly for access on the move. My phone pics back up to Google drive and I see I can store them compressed which takes up a load less space and makes them easy to access. A smaller, compressed copy is fine for what I want but I can I do this for all my pics on the PC? If I put them into my ‘google drive’ folder I guess it’ll upload the lot as is and quickly fill my 17Gb allowance or can I set it to shrink as it goes? Really struggling to find much in the way of settings. Is there another solution? I’d basically all my photos in the cloud and accessible from my phone over, ideally free and shrunk if it makes things quicker (not a lot of point to me to have them in the cloud if each one is 5Gb and takes 10 mins to download).

dooosuk
    Free Member

Use Google Photos instead? Unlimited storage for max 16MP images.

woody2000

Google photos offers unlimited storage for your photos at reduced quality. There’s a Windows client you can install that will back them up for you automatically. Job jobbed.

Or pay ~£4 a month for something like Backblaze

nickjb
    Free Member

Pretty sure that is what I am trying to do. Google Photos is part of Google Drive. I have now found a desktop app which claims to do upload everyth to google photos although not much is happening at the moment.

EDIT more pictures appearing in my google drive pictures folder so I think its working

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Google Drive and backed up photos’ is closed to new replies.