• This topic has 11 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by IA.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Google calender sync going… what now?
  • gravitysucks
    Free Member

Had been using google calender sync to sync desktop outlook to various devices.
    It appears I won;t be able to this for long….

what options are there out there?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

What? Why not?

househusband

Ah, bollocks. Not sure if this will affect the calender synch I currently use between my Nexus 7 and Blackberry…

http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en-uk&hlrm=en-uk&hlrm=en&answer=2716936

Starting January 30, 2013, users, other than paid Google Apps users, won’t be able to set up new devices using Google Sync and should see our sync site for instructions. You can also consult with your device carrier or manufacturer for how they recommend to sync with Gmail, Google Calendar, and Contacts. Google Apps for Business, Education, and Government customers can continue to set up new devices with Google Sync after this date.

andyl
    Free Member

crap. I kept meaning to install the sync tool for outlook but you can’t download it anymore.

IA

You can still sync with google, you just need to use caldav etc rather than exchange activesync. On any reasonably modern apps etc this shouldn’t be too much og an issue.

And it’s just new devices, current devices setup already should be ok.

Cougar

Gosh, that’s a bit of a surprise. Cheers for the info.

I’m not directly affected as I use a third party sync tool, but it’s good to know.

andyl
    Free Member

any suggestions of some alterantive 3rd party stuff to use?

Did spot this: http://www.syncmycal.com/compare_feature.htm

spooky_b329

I was to be a new user, and only got around to trying to set it up about 3 days after they removed the download link 🙁

Cougar

any suggestions of some alterantive 3rd party stuff to use?

I use gSyncit. Not free but works well.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

haha i’m not the only one who had a surprise then!

Annoyingly its for work and we now have new comps and devices to add into the mix so looks like I’ll have to find an alternative to keep everything in harmony.

I’m just going to cut out the middle (bottom) man and just run an online diary direct on google calenders for the offices now.
    bye bye outlook calender, its been nice knowing ya

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I kept meaning to install the sync tool for outlook but you can’t download it anymore.

Not being the techy sort can someone please explain weather it’ll continue to work with my Mac/iPhone/iPad please? I don’t have to download anything. It just works…..

IA

Your apple kit will be fine*

* and here’s the science bit! It uses caldav etc which are the more modern free/open standards rather than the closed ms exchange one they’re retiring.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Google calender sync going… what now?’ is closed to new replies.