Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Goodwood FOS camping/accomodation advice..
  • nickewen
    Free Member

Me and a friend are heading down to FOS this year for the weekend. As there’s only two of us the on-site camping is rather steep… £65 a night for up to 4 people on a pitch.

We don’t really want to have to drive in each day as we fancy consuming rather a lot of alcohol.

It looks like there is a shuttle bus from Chichester train station so we’re thinking of maybe getting a campsite along the train line somewhere..

Does anyone have any suggestions or experiences of campsites (or B&B’s) in that neck of the woods?

Thanks

surfer
    Free Member

How much is the alternative campsite? IME everywhere within miles is booked up so you will likely pay inflated prices.
    4 of us went a couple of years ago and being able to walk in and out to the campsite was great.

nickewen
    Free Member

Thanks Surfer – I’ve taken your advice and booked onto the Goodwood site. The alternatives were still quite steep with the added complication/cost of trains and buses so didn’t really work out any cheaper. Looking forward to being able to just walk in/out of the festival! Cheers

Rubber_Buccaneer

Good choice I think. My Mum runs a B&B about twelve miles away and is booked by the same regulars for the following year every year so I think you’d struggle to find reasonable accommodation. The traffic is pretty bad too, both in and out. Staying on site and being able to enjoy a beer/champagne sounds very appealing.

willard

65 quid split four ways isn’t bad to be fair, not when you factor in the cost of bus fare or petrol. It does make me think about planning ahead for the Revival though. I’m taking the campervan down this time.

Legoman
    Free Member

We camp every year on one of the official sites.

The convenience is great, cos traffic in and out of the site on show days is a nightmare.

Added advantages:
    – grab a beer and a couple of camping chairs and sit by the side of the road at the end of the day. I reckon every other classic leaving the site gives you a honk or a cheery wave. Epitomises the friendly atmosphere of the event and rounds off a great day (my young lad loves this too)
    – you can enjoy the early morning/late afternoon flypasts, from the comfort of your tent. Last year we sat outside our tent late on the Satruday, watching the 2 Lancasters doing cicuits overhead, with various Spitfires and Hurricanes. That was worth £65 of my money any day!

EDIT: sorry, I’m talking about the Revival. As you were!

nickewen
    Free Member

Thanks all. My numbers weren’t quite right originally.. It is £165 for Wed-Sun night camping for up to four which is pretty reasonable if there is 4 of you and you are staying the full weekend. There is two of us for 4 nights so still not too bad when you take into account the convenience of walking in/out.
    Cheers

Rubber_Buccaneer

I like the festival of speed, always enjoyed it when I’ve been but my god they milk you for cash don’t they.

nickewen
    Free Member

Indeed. Never been before but costs are escalating quickly.. That’s before transport from the wastelands of the North (Newcastle) all the way down to Chichester!

deadkenny
    Free Member

Not sure I’d spend an entire weekend at FoS, but depends how much of a petrolhead you are. A day gets my fill, and with the traffic I’m fed up of it.

Revival however I could easily do a weekend of. But then I’m more in it for the atmosphere and watching cars race, plus the old school days of proper racing. Driver and his mechanic. Plus the air show. Still, even that’s expensive so a day is fine enough for me.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Goodwood FOS camping/accomodation advice..’ is closed to new replies.