Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Good value cartridge bearing hubs?
  • GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I’m just about to get myself an Inbred frame and build it into a single speed. I’m looking for some light yet tough wheels preferably with cartridge bearing hubs. I’ve seen the Supperlagera wheels on Superstar and wondering if they’re any good as they seem pretty cheap.

Is it worth going for the cheaper cartridge bearing hubs or is it a false economy if you don’t get something like Hope? I like the idea of hubs that I won’t have to maintain too much especially as the rest of the bike will be low maintenance. It will be my commuter bike and regularly used elsewhere too so low maintenance is good for me.

Maybe I’m better off just going for Shimano cup and cone if I’m on a budget? Opinions greatly appreciated.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

if the hubs use easily sourced bearings then you could be onto a winner. I have a pair of formula hubs that where dead cheap, I bought a box of 25 for around £20 from a local bearing supplier. Should last years. It takes about 5mins a hub to replace em, done it twice in four years.

I could have got very high grade for a bit more but they didn’t have any at the time.

toys19
    Free Member

Superstar tech and switch hubs are very good, dunno about superleggra.

wwaswas

Make sure you can get stuff like pawls etc as spares (or complete freehubs) – bearings are generic but other components can be very specific and you end up buying a new hub just to get some spares.

Personally, I’d look for a second hand set of Hope Pro2/XC wheels on the classifieds. If the rims are in reasonable nick and it has brass nipples they’ll carry on for years with just the occasional bearign change and retrue.

Del

the planet x/on-one dog hubs are good, same as dmr revolver, and use the same freehub. on-one’s rims are also very solid. not the lightest but mine have proved to be durable with ~ 5 years use, 2 or three times a week, and some pretty ham-fisted riding at times. they came as standard fit on a complete inbred i bought. took a little re-truing after a while, but since then i haven’t touched them, other than to do bearing work.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I might go for the Superstar Tech 2 EVO XC 135 Switch wheels, they look like a good deal. Does anyone know how easy it is to get replacement bearings for these hubs?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Good value cartridge bearing hubs?’ is closed to new replies.