Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Good value and good quality wooden worktops.
  • jamj1974

We are currently upgrading our ancient kitchen. We have decided on the design, units, wall and flooring tiles. We would like a decent quality and reasonably priced solid wooden worktop.

Does anyone have any recommendations for type and also where to go for decent supply/supply & fit options? Particularly interested in small West Midlands based companies.

willard

Ah… Small and local is tricky. I got a 3m length of 32mm Beech worktop from Wickes earlier this month for 79 quid if that’s any use to you. It pretty good quality and makes a damned fine (some would say decadent…) workbench.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Worktop express for good value, no idea on fitting though

hammyuk
    Free Member

IKEA – will struggle to beat their pricing and the oak ones I fitted 5yrs ago are still perfect!

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Is there a lot of maintenance with a wooden worktop in the kitchen?

somouk
    Free Member

A friend recently had some for a good price from Howdens just off M5 J1.

They will only do supply but most chippies should be capable of fitting it.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Keep them oiled/treated and they are perfect.
    Some don’t like water being left on them and can mark but again just wipe down when you finish and no issues.

Moses

Worktop Express here, too. Cheltenham based, I think.
    We bought 40mm oak, no regrets. It’s heavy. They will cut to size, including sinks etc

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Cheers hammy

qwerty
    Free Member

We used Worktop Express in Quedgley, Glos. Try DIY Kitchens . com as I think they do wood and are further north.

nickdavies

I’ve got butchers block wooden worktops from ikea in the office and they’ve been great, 5 years use and only cost about £60 IIRC.

Darkened quite a lot over the time though, i’d definitely treat them if they were going in a kitchen, mine have picked up a few water marks as I left them as bare wood.

jamj1974

Thank you everyone. Some great suggestions I will definitely investigate.

globalti
    Free Member

You local timber yard will be able to supply and recommend a good fitter or carpenter.

Be sure to season the wood for a few months indoors before fitting so that it takes up the moisture level of your house. Now is probably the best time because your heating will be drying the air.

pymwymis
    Free Member

Finally, something I’m genuinely qualified to comment on !!

As this is what I do for a living :

You want 40mm not 32mm for a start.

Howdens = expensive

Worktop express are my suppliers of choice. Their product is good, delivery excellent and the items are transported well (well protected from knocks)

Re oiling wooden worktops, don’t listen to anyone telling you that Danish oil works, it’s crap. You will need to constantly re-treat your worktop and it will still stain if you leave water on it. Not only that but treatment takes ages (drying)and you need several coats from initially – realistically several days worth of fannying about.

Professionals worktop treatment of choice is EZ-oil by Morrells. This product will give you a mid sheen (getting glossier with repeated coats – especially if they are thick coats left to “flow” to a smooth finish.)

EZ-oil dries very quickly. You can put several coats on in 1 day.

Important – do not forget to oil the underneath and any end-grain cuts (inc cut-outs for sink and hob) before you fit !! You’ll never be bothered to get to it once it’s in and it is important if you want to avoid warp or bow in the future.

Cheers.

jamj1974

Thanks Pymwymis and Globalti!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Good value and good quality wooden worktops.’ is closed to new replies.