Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • good use for a golf course?? (golfers look away!)
  • rOcKeTdOg

going to be some interesting lies for the ball once the snow clears….and yes that is a kayak in the back round!!

Coyote
    Free Member

I find that the bunkers provide a valuable facility for jumping practice as they generally have a lip that is higher on one side. If you screw up you can bail in the soft sand. Word of warning though, there is often a rake in the bunker. Make sure you remove it before starting the practice session.

Houns

It's ok, it's only a council one

BoardinBob

Would it still be funny if it was people destroying a bike trail making it unrideable once the snow had cleared?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

And how is sledging destroying it?

nonk
    Free Member

🙄

thats not going to be unplayable though is it?

saladdodger
    Free Member

Fantastic

but hopefully the folk playing on there sledges were not smiling, laughing or having fun because that is banned on golf courses it is against the rules

ssboggy

I always thought that golf courses would make exellent cyclocross courses, bit of running through the bunkers and a couple of hairpin bends on the greens around the flags 😀

alpin
    Free Member

**** up the greens though. stay off the greens and the greenkeep should be ok.

john_drummer
    Free Member

ah but how do you know where the greens are under all that snow?

(yes, I know the flags tend to give it away a bit, but they could be removed…)

el_diablo
    Free Member

Is that a canoe going up the hill in the 2nd pic?

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Best use for a golf course by far! Any reason to annoy golfers, anal retentive lot that they are! Although they probably spend more than mtbers on kit & equipment. 😆

Drac

The local sledging spot here is a Golf course too, they're very supportive of it.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Pefect use for a golf course as far as I can see 🙂
    Keep of the greens (no use for sledging anyway) and you should be fine.

rOcKeTdOg

MFCat i believe it's a kayak, they walked back to the top and went home otherwise today's pic of the day might have been different!

no flags to see and everyone is local so we know where the greens are and most of the steep fun is on the fairways anyway

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

This was our local course on wednesday.

TBH I imagine people stay off the greens anyway as they won''t be steep enough to sledge on.

Besides. Snow is fun and a bit of fun descending on a golf course every 30 years or so can't be a bad thing eh?

ibis
    Free Member

Golf is a good walk spoiled
    (Mark Twain)
    Please feel free to shoot me if i ever walk into a golf shop!

druidh
    Free Member

The Land Access legislation in Scotland specifically states that golf courses should be made available for sledging 🙂

dave_aber
    Free Member

The Land Access legislation in Scotland specifically states that golf courses should be made available for sledging

Bloody hell, that ^ is true!! Excellent!

In winter, many people enjoy activities like sledging and cross-country skiing on golf courses. This can be important to local communities. These activities rarely cause any problems if done responsibly – by keeping off greens, tees and bunkers – and when there is sufficient snow cover. Golf course managers are encouraged to accept such access when it is carried out responsibly.

(It also states that it isn't compulsory 😥 )

Provided you exercise them responsibly, access rights established by the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003 are wide-ranging in terms of the places and activities that they extend to. Nonetheless, access rights do not apply to some places where the public have enjoyed access perhaps over a long period of time. Examples include passing through some farmyards and across some dams. Certain activities that are not included in statutory access rights have also been practiced for a long time by the public, such as gathering natural berries or fruit for personal use or sledging on some golf courses. Such access and activities are not affected by the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003.

druidh
    Free Member

dave_aber – Member

> The Land Access legislation in Scotland specifically states that
    > golf courses should be made available for sledging

Bloody hell, that ^ is true!! Excellent!

Of course it's true. Do you think I just come on here and make this stuff up 😉

Houns

Far more to**ers to be found in mountain biking, well tbh, far more to be found here on stw than in any golf club

rOcKeTdOg

must be better than skids on the green on a clear weather night ride surely?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Outside the Painswick golf club:

It's good on mountainbikes too.

BoardinBob

And how is sledging destroying it?

thats not going to be unplayable though is it?

Post thaw, go and take a look at a grassy slope that's been used for a lot of sledging and you'll see the damage.

But never mind eh, the golf club only invested a lot of time, money and effort into developing the course. What does that matter.

nonk
    Free Member

once in a blue moon.ffs.
    you can tell you spend to much time on the clubs.

hughjengin
    Free Member

Great photos by 5thElefant, but in the last one, why on earth is Aaron Lennon riding a sledge with Dane Bowers ?

votchy
    Free Member

We were there on Saturday, the main sledging bits are not on the golf course anyway (The Lickeys if any one cares), all manner of things being used as sledges, windchill at the top was a bit parky 😀

andywarner
    Free Member

every time i walk the dog past our local golf course i can't help but think what a great time i could have on it on my bike.

Haze

Gentlemen Only Luges Forbidden

IanMunro
    Free Member

every time i walk the dog past our local golf course i can't help but think what a great time i could have on it on my bike.

Training the dog to shit in the holes is almost as good 🙂

Kit
    Free Member

but hopefully the folk playing on there sledges were not smiling, laughing or having fun because that is banned on golf courses it is against the rules

Best use for a golf course by far! Any reason to annoy golfers, anal retentive lot that they are! Although they probably spend more than mtbers on kit & equipment

Way to tar all golfers with the same brush, there! Well done!

In the UK you don't have to spend a fortune on clubs and equipment, membership and green fees to play golf. My clubs are 2nd hand or inherited, and I pay the same for course membership as a magazine subscription.

Its a sport (if you want to call it that) that requires skill and concentration, same as biking, and I've seen many many more miserable **** on bikes than I have ever seen in my years of playing golf.

So there 😛

rOcKeTdOg

votchy if you got a good run you could get across 2 fairways, a few were doing it sunday as it was a bit icier, v parky indeed at the top as you say

BoardinBob

once in a blue moon.ffs.

So it would be ok if someone tore up your favourite bike trail on an motorbike "once in a blue moon"?

you can tell you spend to much time on the clubs.

I play golf about half a dozen times a year, but even if I'd never played in my life, I'd still have respect for the interests of others and I wouldn't needlessly damage their facilities.

PJ266
    Free Member

So it would be ok if someone tore up your favourite bike trail on an motorbike "once in a blue moon"?

They do, infact its the MX enduro riders who created my favourite trails 😛

andywarner
    Free Member

Nice one Mr Munro I might just try that!

GrahamS

Mmmm.. sledging in a Pringle jumper and a pair of Plus Fours. Got to stick to the club rules 🙂

votchy
    Free Member

riding a 29er but not blowing a trumpet about it – Member
    votchy if you got a good run you could get across 2 fairways, a few were doing it sunday as it was a bit icier, v parky indeed at the top as you say

True, managed to get down to the bottom treeline from about 3/4's of the way up the main bank, only did it once as it takes too long to walk back across the 2 fairways 😯

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘good use for a golf course?? (golfers look away!)’ is closed to new replies.