Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Good trails and Downhill around York / ??
  • Stally
    Free Member

Hi Trail heads,

I’m possibly moving to York / Malton. Just wondering are there any good trails about?
    I’ve ridden the red at Dalby so far but it was very flat.

I’m used to riding around Macclesfield which is close to the Peak district and pretty close to Wales.
    I also ride DH and have a local track 20 mons from home.

Are there any suggestions?

I’m good with a spade if anyone needs help

jota180
    Free Member

You have the whole of the North York Moors to the North of you
    It’s vast and full of great trails, just get a map and start exploring

Stally
    Free Member

Hi,
    Cheers for the reply.

Is there much gravity over the Moors?

Do you know of anything around Malton area? As I ride 2-3 times during the week after work and a good Saturday session.
    I’m sure the moors will be good for a Saturday session but do you know of anything more local for afternoons?

Thanks

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Did you not do Geography at school ?? 😆

You are going to have to drive, and drive quite far.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You have Hamsterly for DH – some old nationals and northern series. Uplift and self liftable
    not sure whats going on with Carton Bank
    Look up Northern Downhill on facebook for more.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Hi Stally

I don’t live to far from where your moving too,

Dalby and Silton(near thirsk) have downhills both are “local” maintained.

Plenty of moorland trails, I know of 10+ routes for evening rides. Although closer to Thirsk.

York is Dead pan flat. Short journey from Malton isn’t.

Let me know if you come unstuck. email in profile.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Everyone I know who lives in York says it’s sh1t for mtb, so I wouldn’t get too excited about local riding. There may be some better stuff in the Wolds (Malton area) but I suspect not.
    Like said above, other side of Harrogate, Yorkshire Dales, Hamsterley, Guisborough, Silton, Carlton bank, Dalby, NYMoors.

Stally
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies guys.

Lots of info for me to investigate.

Shep I might give you a shout if I move up.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Ex-York inhabitant. For mountain biking, its horrific. On a par with East Anglia. Luckily there are the Moors and a few places within driving distance. Think it got bulldozed but something may have sprung up in its place but there used to be a really good DH track at Wykeham nr Scarborough. Held a few races there…

But if you think Dalby is flat, you’re going to be bitterly disappointed with anything else you find!

Scapegoat

From York it’s three quarters of an hour drive to Calderdale/Kirklees. They ain’t flat.

nealglover
    Free Member

As above, the Vale of York itself is crap, as obviously, it’s flat.

But there is loads around in pretty much all directions. You just need to drive to get there that’s all.

mrjmt
    Free Member

I live just outside York, when people ask about mtb and living in York I always say its a blessing and a curse.
    Sure its a curse as you can’t ride straight from your front door, but you’re pretty much equidistant from the peaks, dales and moors so you aren’t going to get bored riding the same trails all the time!
    Not sure why Dalby is too flat? Total ascent a descent isn’t that different to most other places, its just you keep going up and down instead of one big hill!

nealglover
    Free Member

Not sure why Dalby is too flat? Total ascent a descent isn’t that different to most other places, its just you keep going up and down instead of one big hill!

I did wonder about that.

I don’t think it’s “too flat” but then maybe im useless, and someone fitter than me thinks it’s like riding in Holland
    (so I kept my mouth shut :mrgreen: )

wl
    Free Member

York’s pretty crap IMO, it has to be said. I moved from there to Calderdale specifically to ride more and ‘better’ trails without having to drive to them. It was the right move for me, although the weather’s crap here. Dalby’s ok for dullish xc, Hamsterley’s good for DH, but it’s not exactly local. Stainburn’s got some ok bits for messing on, around 50 mins drive from York, I think. Lakes a couple of hours.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Same as wl, I moved from York to Halifax. Obviously that might not suit your job etc but in terms of the riding around here, its off the scale compared to York!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Good trails and Downhill around York / ??’ is closed to new replies.