Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Good single day hikes near Bourg d'Oisan/Alpe d'Huez?
  • 13thfloormonk

We’re heading out for a week of road biking but I fancied a day off to climb something, preferrably steep and big but nothing more than mild scrambling at most (by myself, probably in trail running shoes).

I’ve seen Aguille de Venosc and Le Rochail, either of which looks pretty good although I’m not sure how technical Le Rochail is, or for that matter how big a day either is, I’m only going off Google Map at the moment!

Any suggestions?

Anything over 3023m would be a bonus, beat my previous best 8)

anagallis_arvensis

I can heartily not recommend les bans. Still have nightmares!!!

IA

Mostly only ridden round there, but never mind google maps get thee to http://www.geoportail.fr for online IGN mapping down to 1:25k

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I can heartily not recommend les bans. Still have nightmares!!!

Reminded me of this http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/mountaineering-in-the-ecrins

13thfloormonk

Hmm, interesting thread B.A.Nana, but a different world from what I’m looking for, climbing and technical routes aren’t what I’m looking for in the mountains.

IA, awesome, thanks!

anagallis_arvensis

As I said then

Glad Les Bains is deemed a bit scary its the only mountain I have climbed! That girlfriend had to go!!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Hmm, interesting thread B.A.Nana, but a different world from what I’m looking for, climbing and technical routes aren’t what I’m looking for in the mountains.

Yeah, despite being there a dozen times walking and climbing, I can’t really recommend anything to you. Some of the hut walks are quite nice ie Soreiller Hut to see Dibona Needle or Pilatte Hut from La Berade, to view Les Bans and other big peaks, but doesn’t sound like it’s what you’re looking for. I’ve got an old guide book with lower tech grade routes, I’ll have a look later tonight for you and see if there are any easy scrambling lower altitude routes in it.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Hi, the only none mountaineering route I could find in my Collomb Guide is tete de la maye (2516m) from la Berarde. Apparently, worth doing for fine views of some of the key peaks in the area. There’s a walk/easy scramble tourist route (about 2hrs walk from la berarde), but possibly more interesting scrambly routes to the summit, not sure.

I think the blue line above is the tourist route lined on the map below

13thfloormonk

Phew, well had a great week (including a fantastic ride to La Berarde and back) and managed a perfect hike in the end.

Starting at Bourg d’Oisans I climbed the steep switchbacking path alongside Le Cascade de la Pisse (I never did look up the translation… 🙄 ) before continuing up the valley to Le Refuges des Source. My friend who does a bit of ski touring was positive I would get beer/food at the refuge but it was little more than a very nice wee bothy.

From there it was some good old fashioned moraine bashing up to the col and a brilliant wee scrambly arete to the final summit at 3022m.

Despite starting super early and making pretty good pace, there were a lot of people on the summit already, in addition to the three groups that I’d passed on my way up. In my fractured French I ascertained that they had all started 750m higher than me at Villard Notre Dame, so ego was restored. 8)

Think next time I’ll go back without the bike and do some of the Grand Randonees, so much amazing looking hiking.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Good single day hikes near Bourg d'Oisan/Alpe d'Huez?’ is closed to new replies.