Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Good road disc wheels?
  • Mowgli
    Free Member

Looking to upgrade my road wheels soon, and the Pro Lite Revo A21W seem hard to beat – 1600g and all the options on axle size and spacing. Any used them, or got any suggestions for similar sub £500 set of wheels? They’re replacing a set of Mavic Open Pros on Hope XC rear and SP dynamo front, so I’m expecting a decent improvement!
    Cheers,

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

This would be my choice…
    https://www.merlincycles.com/pro-build-chosen-hub-alex-cx28-road-cx-disc-wheel-700c-81721.html

Rear out of stock, but there are other sellers I think

atlaz
    Free Member

I’ve got some Hunt wheels. I’m aware that they are a mix of far east wheel building and a bit of UK design and a lot of marketing but they’re good wheels. Cheap (370 quid) and lightish (a shade under 1600g)

djglover
    Free Member

Wouldnt recommend Hunt personally. I had several issues, the rim corroded so it actually started to crumble at the spoke holes. Also the bearings went inside 2,000 miles

If I was buying again I would get prime carbon, a little bit out of the price range though

atlaz
    Free Member

I’ve done about 1000 mostly winter miles on mine and so far so good. I’ve had two bottom brackets in the same time. Mine are the Hunt x Mason 4 Season Disc wheels if it makes a difference.

maxlite
    Free Member

Pro Lite Revo A21W

Bearings on rear wheel went in under a year, contacted supplier via Wiggle who thought that my use of Muck off was to blame, I don’t spray it into bearings!. I hadn’t even used them for cross, as I have set of Cosine wheels which are cheaper and seem on the whole better, problem is Wiggle no longer sell them.

thwapy
    Free Member

Just bought Hunt x Mason 4 Season discs (yesterday) so watching with interest although the reviews seem good and communication thus far excellent…

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I have had a set of DT Swiss R23 Spline for a few years, they came on my Rose Cross bike.

They have been faultless in ~5000 miles including year round commuting and going off road. They came all set up to go tubeless, 1655g and £330. They come with the nice RWS axles too.

Mowgli
    Free Member

Those DT R23s do look good. It’s probably going to come down to what looks nicest as there doesn’t seem much else to separate the options mentioned above.

Daffy

Hope 20-five RS4s are almost the same weight as the DTR23 and you get to chose a hub colour…

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got Stans Grail by Superstar and they’ve been absolutely faultless over 2 seasons of cross and general mucking about, would recommend them in an instant.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I believe that Campag Zonda C17s are considered a solid choice, but when I looked up the bolt thru disc version out of curiosity, I nearly fainted at the ~£475 price tag (~£125 more than the rim brake version)! 😯

I believe the Fulcrum Racing77s that came with my Cube are re-badged Racing Sport DBs, which are £160 for bolt thru currently at PX (but who knows what “W” may bring in their alphabet sale). They’re ~1870g for the pair, losing ~200g or more seems to involve parting with more than £1 per gram in weight savings.

Saccades
    Free Member

i19 KOM laced onto hope hubs.

njee20
    Free Member

Chinese carbon FTW.

Not sure there’s been two votes for one option yet!

rents
    Free Member

Im rolling old hope xc’s on Mavic CXP 33 rims. Absolutely bomb proof. Never been inclined to weigh them but they are reasonable. They are 2 years old and done easily over 12k miles.
    If i was to swap them it would be for some XTR hubs (just for the ease of cup and cone with a bit of bling) on open pro CD rims or Hplus TB14’s. I think these would build up lovely and easily under £500.
    Its a buyers market.
    What type of riding do you do?

j40aja
    Free Member

I’ve a set of DT Swiss R23 Spline discs for sale, done abut 200 miles and in as new condition.
    They came fitted to my Merida Scultura Disc 7000-e and have 12mm axles front and rear, centrelock but with 6 bolt adaptors.
    Email is in my profile if you’re interested for pics etc.

boblo
    Free Member

I’ve got some of those Hunt’s mentioned above and they’ve been fine over 2k miles and I’d buy again if that helps as the quality is good and the process painless. They come very well reviewed.

I also have a pair of Kinesis crosslight cx disc’s which have about 5k miles on them with just a new rear non drive side bearing after a bit of over enthusiastic hose pipe action. People whine about the alloy nipples but this hasn’t been an issue for me (yet) and they’re pretty light and well priced. I’d buy them again as well.

nathb
    Free Member
    trickydisco
    Free Member

my mate built these for me

(stupid google photos won’t let me embed)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qM2iC8IKiGt6eUIw1

H son rims and novatec hubs. Been using for a year and a half now and they still run straight and smooth

brassneck

Crosslight CX (Kinesis) are a decent off the shelf option.

I think my (spokesman.co.uk) build of Novatechs on H Plus Son Archetypes is lighter than the Pro Lites (not weighed them though) or certainly close with 24 spokes – been rock solid for over a year now.

EDIT: trickydisco – snap!
    EDIT EDIT: I pushed the boat out on black spokes thoguh. None more black.

kcal

looking with interest as fancy some proper road wheels as well as CX ones.

I assume the R23 Splines can be converted back to 9mm QR if needs be?

househusband

I assume the R23 Splines can be converted back to 9mm QR if needs be?

I’ve got two sets of the R24 Spline Disc wheels and they both came with adaptors to cover all eventualities.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Good road disc wheels?’ is closed to new replies.