Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • good quality 8spd cassette
  • chriswilk
    Free Member

Getting a new cross bike soon with 8spd shifters, but upgraded to Hope pro2’s with Mavic Open pro’s.

Now, I can only find cheap 8spd cassettes, and it seems a shame to put one on the hope. Are there any good (alloy carrier) cassettes out there in 8spd??

elaineanne
    Free Member

is 8 speed still around ?

i had 8 speed on my first hardtail but soon upgraded to Sram 9 speed 😉

here you are ::::::

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/SearchResults.aspx?Search=8+speed+cassette

chriswilk
    Free Member

Thanks, but there are no alloy carrier 8spd cassettes on CRC – checked there and hence the question.

Yes, for hybrid and cross bikes under a grand nearly everything is still 8spd.

I don’t want to spend the extra on a new 9spd STI shifter as it’ll be best part of 100 notes.

thomthumb
    Free Member

steel freehub?

cynic-al
    Free Member

IIRC it was only xt and xtr that had carriers, none on SJS either.

Think you will struggle TBH

chriswilk
    Free Member

so either put up with a bit of freehub scoring, or splash the cash on new STI shifter, thought so.

Think I’ll phone round some of the bigger places like EBC to see if they have any stashed in a cupboard.

mefty
    Free Member

Marchisio, silly money and not an aluminium carrier but I imagine better quality than LX.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d try somewhere smaller – Big Al?

PaulD
    Free Member

Chris,

I will sell you a brand-new-in-wrapper Shimano XTR 8-speed M950 12-14-16-18-21-24-28-32 titanium (big 3 sprockets) cassette which has an alloy carrier with alloy lockring and weighs just 230grams.

Price is £80 as a paypal gift (nett of fees) for postage to a UK mainland address.

paul.r.davisAThotmail.co.uk

chriswilk
    Free Member

PaulD – thanks but no thanks.

Think I’ll get a SRAM PG850 (only 250g and 18 quid) and put up with a bit of freehub scoring. If/when I upgrade to 9spd when things are worn out I could get a new hope freehub for the difference!

PaulD
    Free Member

Chris,

Please mail me the weight of the actual PG850 along with its sprocket sizes as I cannot see it being much under 300grams, but if it is, then I will buy some for stock as I like the old 8-speed setup.

Thanks,

paul.r.davisAThotmail.co.uk

druidh
    Free Member

Should’ve bought a decent bike in the first place 😉

8 speed? Really?

chriswilk
    Free Member

yup, so was my other option of the Lombard. The Dew Drop has the same shifters but a better rear mech – deore.

chriswilk
    Free Member

PaulD – will do – it will be a few weeks as I’m waiting for my cyclescheme voucher.

chriswilk
    Free Member

PaulD – just got the sram PG850.

11, 12, 14, 165, 18, 21, 26, 32

275g and only 18 quid from CRC

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘good quality 8spd cassette’ is closed to new replies.