Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Good places to eat orlando fl
  • Ed2001
    Free Member

Any recommendations for good places to eat in orlando ,kissimmee. Child friendly medium price range would be ideal. Thanks

Cougar

Anywhere outside of the theme parks is a good start.

Track down a Waffle House for breakfast one day (but only once, or you’ll be rolling home). There’s three or four in Kissimmee IIRC.

motivforz
    Free Member

Denny’s for breakfast. One of the highlights when I went (about 8 or 9 years old.

McHamish
    Free Member

Me and the wife are thinking of going there in June…I’m trying to convince her to get the hotel opposite the International House of Pancakes. I’ve never been there before so can’t really recommend it, but I like pancakes so you can’t go wrong really.

Cougar

IHOP is good, but I was expecting more TBH.

Waffle House is better. If you listen very carefully, you can actually hear the ‘crinkle’ noise as your arteries harden.

Macgyver

Well if you fancy a drive out of town, check out a place called The Goblin Market in Mount Dora. Not been there for a bit but had a couple of very good meals there when the Mrs lived in Mt Dora.
    By the way, whoever called it Mt Dora must have hada sense of humour as Florida is basically swamp. Used to get coffee to go and sit and watch the gators sunning themselves in the morning.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Just got back – echo the comment on trying to avoid the theme parks for eating (though of course it’s unavoidable sometimes). Quite liked Bubba Gump in Universal Citywalk though (but expensive). Was craving veggies and salad after a few days

I like the Cheesecake Factory. As well as the obvious cheesecake, there’s a pretty nice menu. Be aware, the portions are huge (we ended up with 4 doggy bags (boxes actually), so plan this for a night when you can reheat the night after (assuming you have a fridge).

Cougar

Be aware, the portions are huge

That’s a very good point actually. First time I went in Waffle House I ordered several items and the waitress came back with enough food for feed four people.

derek_starship
    Free Member

You must try (assuming you are a carnivore) Key W Kools. It has an open pit grill and does fantastic steak / lobset combo’s.

Not cheap but brilliant grub.

IMO IHOP was bloody awful.

World of Pizza is good too for a tasty thin n crispy.

highclimber
    Free Member

Ponderosa do fabulous breakfast All you can eat buffets.

bassman
    Free Member

Look out for the Golden Coral places one at the top end of 192 passed the Disney world of sports.passed marker 10/11
    about $10.00 including drinks all you can eat beef and steaks of the grill salad bars.
    Dont forget a bag to let the kids take sweets out with.

They are afew around,also get the voucher books as they have coupons that you give at time of ordering at many food outlets 7 get about10% of this covers the local taxes.
    Worth doing as it does save,we collect them and leave in the car for when traveling around.
    Pondera’s not to bad but your main mael is delivered and not able to go back for more.starters as much as you like.
    Checkers burger bar bar the old town are a must what the locals use and one on Internarional driveopposite Mcdonals.
    Hope this helps
    Google the locations print out a map locations before you go.
    hope this helps.

McHamish
    Free Member

IMO IHOP was bloody awful.

I’m sad now…I was looking forward to pancakes.

Be aware, the portions are huge

I’ve decided not to worry about it…2 weeks of eating too much won’t do too much damage to my waistline….probably.

McHamish
    Free Member

They are afew around,also get the voucher books as they have coupons that you give at time of ordering at many food outlets 7 get about10% of this covers the local taxes.

Ah…the wife mentioned this. She can sniff out a bargain from a mile away and said you can always get vouchers in hotels etc. On the travel agent site you could buy a discount card but she reckoned you could get the same or cheaper using vouchers.

bassman
    Free Member

Look out for the Golden Coral places one at the top end of 192 passed the Disney world of sports.passed marker 10/11
    about $10.00 including drinks all you can eat beef and steaks of the grill salad bars.
    Dont forget a bag to let the kids take sweets out with.

Worth doing as it does save,we collect them and leave in the car for when traveling around.
    Pondera’s not to bad but your main mael is delivered and not able to go back for more.starters as much as you like.
    Checkers burger bar bar the old town are a must what the locals use and one on Internarional driveopposite Mcdonals.
    Hope this helps
    Google the locations print out a map locations before you go.
    hope this helps. 🙂

johnnywhitesox
    Free Member

Another vote for Dennys, always good – also try Buffalo Wings – they’re done in a bit of a sports bar theme, great atmosphere without the hooligan element and very family friendly. Also go to the largest Macdonalds in the world on International Drive over towards the Water Park – food off a proper menu made to order – again, a great family atmosphere.

derek_starship
    Free Member

After a few days of eating “Florida style,” Me and Mrs. S were yearning for a plate of potatoes and fresh veg!

FFF – Fast Food Fatigue!

bassman
    Free Member

Yep get the free voucher books over there.
    You are not allowed to take any drinks or food into the parks so they get you on that.
    do not fill your cases if you intend to buy clothes etc whilst over there as trainers are half price to the UK at the shopping outlets.
    A good cool bag is a must plenty of Wal Marts around Kissimee and they are a must different to our supermarkets.24 Cans of drinks for a few dollars back to room use the ice machines and you can bring back stuff in the cool bag in plane hold, we got a loft full of the damm things.
    UK tea bags to take with you a must.
    enjoy your vacation.

johnnywhitesox
    Free Member
    alfabus
    Free Member

this thread is making me hungry.

headfirst
    Free Member

From my experience avoid the numerous all you can eat places, of which there are many, the experience is not pleasant: queueing for a plastic plate, queueing for poor quality food, surrounding by seriously obese folk who’ve dressed up for dinner in shorts, vest and flip flops.
    Topped off by the 8 year old lad in our group gleefully announcing on his return from the toilets:
    “Sombody’s throwing up in the toilets!”

Best place we had food was the Sandbar Grill at Cocoa Beach (ie. not in Orlando).

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Not sure about Disney (it’s been a few years), but at Universal we just bought a souvenir cup (between the 4 of us) for $7.99 I think. Kiosks then refilled it for $0.79 for sodas and water/ice for free. Supposed to be on day of purchase only, but nobody cared or checked.

bassman
    Free Member

From my experience avoid the numerous all you can eat places, of which there are many, the experience is not pleasant: queueing for a plastic plate, queueing for poor quality food, surrounding by seriously obese folk who’ve dressed up for dinner in shorts, vest and flip flops.
    Topped off by the 8 year old lad in our group gleefully announcing on his return from the toilets:
    “Sombody’s throwing up in the toilets!”

Each to thier own there are plenty of nice places to eat as mentioned Dennys for the experiance shonkey’s etc, I have not seen any probs with people being sick.Agree they tend to be casual wear,it is thier country.If swimming teams and such use the places it cant be all bad.
    Brennigans is an other food sports bar type eating house.set menus and prices.
    Spoilt for choice really.

midlifecrashes

Been three times now, and looking to go again. We’ve had great food and service from Sizzler on 192 (Irlo Bronson HWY), west of the Disney gates. They do have a big buffet with plenty of choice to keep kids happy, but plenty of fresh cooked choice too, and cheap as chips, it’s a franchise and family run. They understand brits too and have a queue out of the door every night, for good reason.

warton
    Free Member

This thread is making me want to go to America. Fond memeries of a great pulled pork sandwich by the sea in Maine, and of course Lobster in a wooden shack on stilts in Cape cod..

Mr_Mojo
    Free Member

Bubbalou’s BBQ. Fantastic BBQ food, not a flash restaurant at all but first rate good quality BBQ food. Bahama Breeze on international drive is another good one, advise to book though. I’m quite a lover of chicken wings so Buffalo Wild Wings always gets a visit. Been to Florida probably 12 times and there are plenty of small independent restaurants worth visiting. International Drive or the roads running off is a good place to start.

I would personally avoid Denys, Ponderosa, Sizzlers etc but that’s my thoughts on those Places.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Do NOT go into anywhere named Perkins Family Diner…

mossimus
    Free Member

If you find a branch of friendlies worth popping in just so you can giggle when the waitress enquires if you want a dessert “Would you like a happy ending sir?”

CHB

cheescake factory, fantastic food colossal portions. For theme parks the best was Busch Gardens for food, also best for rollercoaster fans.

carbon337
    Free Member

Take a road trip to New Symrna beach and head to JB’s fish camp.

Cajun shirmp and a sunset

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

We’re going in July/August for 3 weeks, 2 weeks Orlando & 1 week Clearwater for R&R. The wife is currently constantly reading the Brits Guide, which lists various eateries & price ranges.
    She’s even downloaded addresses for various chains of restaurants.
    For italian food the Olive Garden is a good bet, even if you do not get past the breadsticks!!!

I can’t afford to put much weight on, so it will be interesting to see how I cope over three weeks.

jrb

As before would recommend getting a Brits guide. Panera Bread was good for fresh bread and salads, US shop bought bread appears to be full of additives, as we bought a loaf and it was still mould free after two weeks unlike here. Ordered one meal and split between wife and me, tipped as if ordered two meals as advised in Brits guide and waitress/waiters were happy. Got a map drawn up by a brit map maker named steve munns from thedibb.co.uk. it had all the eateries, walmarts etc on it and was far better than any US map.

Ed2001
    Free Member

Many thanks for all the replies they have been very helpful.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Hi, noob here. I went in March, found Friendly’s for a good breakfast, lunch was eaten in a variety of places but Five Guys Burger bar in one of the outlet malls was probably the best burger and fries, Hooters at Pointe Orlando was ok, Cheesecake factory is always good, but the queues at lunch on the weekend were crazy.
    We were along International Drive just past Pointe Orlando, and had the Millers Ale House and Cattlemans near us for meat food. Millers Ale house was definitely best value for money; their full rack of ribs were on offer two nights a week for $10.95, and a pitcher of beer was $6. Not sure what the laws are about children eating in? Cattlemans was slightly better quality, but you paid for it.
    Have fun.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Good places to eat orlando fl’ is closed to new replies.