Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Good news and yet another question
  • johnj2000
    Free Member

Managed to get a Sustrans subsidised bike maintenance session last night. 5quid for 2 hours and learnt a lt of basic stuff and had my gear issues sorted as well. Happy days.

Slightly less good is that I found out I shouldn’t have gone for a single up front with a 10 speed rear cassette, it just doesn’t run well in the small cog at the back.

Wit this in mind i am thinking of going back to a triple u front and have seen this on offer http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=63032

The big question for you guysis whether it will work ok with a shimano XT cassette on the back?

Cheers as always.

wallop

Slightly less good is that I found out I shouldn’t have gone for a single up front with a 10 speed rear cassette, it just doesn’t run well in the small cog at the back.

What? 1 x 10 is The Latest Thing.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Can you not add a spacer to sort the chainline

Simon

No – it’s 1×11 now, keep up 😉

johnj2000
    Free Member

It might be the latest thing if you don’t mind your legs spinning at 100mph while moving not very much.

I made a mistake, as this bike is to be used for general messing about and a fair bit of road stuff I need some extra umph! As well as being very anal over any slight noise due to things not being quite right.

So can I mix?

wallop

What size chainring have you got up front?

Edit – sorry, missed your comment about road use.

johnj2000
    Free Member

34 up front but want to know if you can mix brands.

wallop

I’ve got Race Face up front and Shimano out back, so I guess it’s possible.

Northwind

1×10 doesn’t really cut it if you want to properly ride on the road (ie, not just link up sections/rides in a half-assed couldn’t-care-less way). But then neither does 2×10.

But that’s OK, it’s what road bikes are for 😉

As for the little ring- you ought to be able to get them all working nicely.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Urrrgghhhhhhh buying a road bike would mean Lycra and stuff. The thought makes me shiver.

So I am guessing by the lack of “oh yeah don’t worry I do it all the time” type answers, this would be a risky purchase.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You can mix and match chainsets fine.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Thank you cynical.

A little more digging has dug up another issue though. Apparently the FSA crankset on offer only fits BB30’s. not sure my 2005 GT frame will have one.

cynic-al
    Free Member

It won’t.

trail_rat
    Free Member

1×10 works fine on a single ring IF you put the chainring in the right place .

Middle ring position only.

salome33
    Free Member

I have e 13 up front and shimano on the back all good to mix.

Question – where should the front chainring line up to the back? some where in the middle? Think I may need to spacer mine out a bit. When i push my chain onto the smallest cog at the back i can’t put any pressure on it without it slipping

johnj2000
    Free Member

Think you might be right Salome. I am thinking spacer.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Good news and yet another question’ is closed to new replies.