Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Good mechanic in Stockport?
  • weirdnumber
    Free Member

I’m getting a bit of play in my SRAM GXP bottom bracket which I would like to get sorted so I can get out tomorrow. Since I don’t have my tools at the moment I need to take it to a shop, anyone know a good place to take it in Stockport? I don’t have a car so can’t venture far.

PaulD
    Free Member

Try Bike Smithy in Hazel Grove on the A6, 500m south from Sainsbury….only good reviews on here…no personal spannering experience.

If no joy, there is the boutique up in Disley (A6 again) and Bike Factory in Whalley Bridge (the old Buxton road)…which I rate highly for buying kit but no spannering experience.

I would not go to the NWMTB in Cheadle as I find them a miserable, overpriced outfit, but they are home to Steve Peat’s mechanic.

PaulD

weirdnumber
    Free Member

Cheers! Bike Smithy is only a mile down the road from me! How I have never spotted it when going through Hazel Grove I do not know.

Sad news is a new bottom bracket needed = no riding tomorrow. 🙁

monksie
    Free Member

Jon at Bike Smithy is double mint (I have soemthing I need to speak to Jion about but I can’t remember what it is). If he’s too busy, North West Mountain Bikes are very good mechanics. They’ve always been nice to me.
    Sportive Nation opposite Hazel Grove police station is now open but I’ve no experience. The Bike Shop in Marple and Wills Wheels in Heaton Moor. Again, no expericence. Decathlon might be an option. Freeride in Disley? I’ve not been. You can get the train virtually to the door. Same as Bike Factory in Whaley Bridge.
    Rick Green in Handforth? Train station is very close.
    Edit; What BB is it that you need? I think I have a spare you can have unless it’s been given away already? I can’t check until 7’ish tonight though. I’m in the sunshine state of Stockport as well. chuck an email to steve.monks@gmail.comif you like and I’ll see what I can do this evening.
    I’m on Internet fascist monitoring at work so I can’t get back to this thread until mid afternoon.

sambob
    Free Member

NWMTB are good, only used them once for servicing my forks but they were cheaper than everywhere else and did a fine job, so no complaints from me. Bike Factory spannering has been slow for me and very poor communication, so even though I’m only a mile away, I’ll use 18 Bikes in Hope or NWMTB for forks. LOADS of stock though, probably too much. Probably about 30/35 bikes in the shop and a few more outside. Probably have the thing you need if you ever pass through though…

nbt

Another big shout for Jon, and NWMTB are ok with me too – Ben is my mechanic of choise but the others are ok.

If you’re desperate, drop me a mail: I’m in Marple and have bottom brackets (deore) and tools to fit in my garage. Will negotiate for beer 🙂

weirdnumber
    Free Member

Oh wow, cheers for the kind offers guys. I just dropped it off at bike smithy which is the easiest option since I have a bunch of things to do today. At least now I know its in good hands.
    Only been living in Stockport a short time and I’m pretty happy to discover that I have a decent bike shop less than 5 minutes ride away, and within easy walking distance in case of emergency!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Good mechanic in Stockport?’ is closed to new replies.