Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • good low level Lakes routes.
  • ton

off to the lakes, (Grasmere) in a fortnight, and need a good 25 miles or so route.
    but low_ish level if possible.

got a proper knackered wrist at the present, which wont hold up to and long sustained rockiness.

whitestone
    Free Member

http://www.pedalnorth.com/content/ambleside-eight
    http://www.pedalnorth.com/content/loughrigg-loop

Though both have fairly long bits of rocky track. Maybe look at Claife Heights from Grasmere.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Head on to loughrigg terrace, over to elterwater, over again to little langdale (or up langdale and over by err that little tarn there), tilberthwaite to coniston up hawksead hill and either into grizedale for a muck about or over to claife, back along w’mere west shore, back in time for tea and medals

ton

I have done all that stuff many times……may have to do it again.
    bit short on low level stuff in the Lakes it seems. 😕

thestabiliser
    Free Member

the mountains have a habit of getting in the way 🙂

ton

😆

I am gonna buy a bionic wrist brace….. 😀

Esme
    Free Member

There are some very nice (ie not too much tarmac) low-level routes in Keith Bradbury’s book, although they tend to be around 10 miles. I think Wheelbase, etc still have some copies in stock.

I can email you some gpx files (or pdf attachments) if you’d like.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Can’t help with routes but SW lakes is a bit flatter and a lot less busy. Done some nice rides in the past around Cartmel.

TomB

From keswick, through Portinscale and along west shore of derwentwater (FP), then climb to the catbells terrace road and return north along the terrace bw, all smoothish. At the north end of catbells , take the road to skelgill and the (newly designated) bw to littletown. Then south towards the climbing hut but cross the beck and return via low snab farm and the farm track to littletown church. Road up to the Newlands road, then north to stony croft , climb up the FP alongside stony croft gill and up to barrow door (may require some pushing). Push/ride to Barrow summit and finish with a rip roaring grassy descent to braithwaite, returning to keswick by BW from braithwaite lodge to Newlands, down through uzzicar farm and north along the riverside path to little braithwaite, road to Portinscale and keswick.

Not 25miles, quite cheeky, but mostly decent / not rocky surface especially descending. Could add in loop of latrigg to extend- railway line to brundholme, up the road onto the back of latrigg and yee ha down the bw to keswick.

If I’m off might be able to guide!(live in Portinscale)

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

We did the Blawith loop which was ace but its only 12km. Don’t know the area but maybe you could extend it or do what we did and stop frequently for cake.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I ride with my kids and cannot thing of anything of the distance you ask for

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘good low level Lakes routes.’ is closed to new replies.