Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Good light for my helmet?
  • benji_allen
    Free Member

Was thinking Niterider Mini as I might not be able to stretch much more. Got a Minewt x2 which I'm pretty happy with, for the bars. Any other good – but not too expensive – ones to suggest?

jabbathehut
    Free Member

ill go along the usual p7 torch from dealextreme.

wee bitty heavy but works a right treat for thr price, i have 1 on the bars and 1 on the heed.

There are other specific lights but this one works very well.

bassspine
    Free Member

joystick maxx

takisawa2

DX 12060 P7 here.
    Works a treat & no bloody cables to tangle & rip.

Northwind

Torch of some description. That's all a Joystick is, a not-very-bright expensive torch with no replacable batter, but with a ver nice mounting bracket.

The Niterider's a fine example of why torch owners take the piss out of proper lights 🙂 Expensive, not very bright, and still needs a remote pack. Bleh.

P7 is great but, a bit floody. That's not a disadvantage til it snows or get misty, when all of a sudden you have portable sun 3 inches from your eyes, on a wide beam to maximise the bounceback off the weather. Not so good, a narrower beam is less of a hassle in these cases. The rest of the time, the grunt of a P7 means that even though it's a flood, it's as effective at range as most spotlights while still filling in the short range. Works very well indeed.

benji_allen
    Free Member

Oh christ. Now we have torch envy. I'll take the mag reviews opinions.

benji_allen
    Free Member

Can't remember putting that. Bit drunk last night.

Hmmm. Hours run time. Quite big. Gets hot. Bit of a bargain though. Can carry spare batteries. 2 for £65?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

i use a dealestreme torch that is teh same size (or smaller) than a joystick, has 3 hrs on full (one battery) and costs £25 inc charger etc.

It puts out a very spot like beam that is super bight ad far reaching. Weighs **** all!

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15335
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4151
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.19624

spock
    Free Member

rob, which one are you talking about?

thanks,

racing_ralph
    Free Member

the one in my link!!

birky
    Free Member

I use a P7 torch on the bars. Would have thought it was a bit hefty for a helmet light?
    Got a TR801, same as Rob, but went for the single mode version. The DX site showed it with an orange peel reflector but mine came with a smooth one. Pretty narrow spot with amazing range for its size.

Northwind

Oh, weight… Mine weigh 160 grams with a battery in, so a bit heavier than a joystick but still not heavy enough to be a hassle. Lighter than a Niterider Mini, though of course that includes the pack so you could put that in your camelbak if you don't mind the wires. So yeah, the torches do lose out a little on weight but it's not really an issue in use. You want to mount it as centrally as possible though to avoid it tipping your helmet around, but if you've got a well fitting helmet it probably won't bother you.

Only real downside is that DX's delivery times have gone out the window lately.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Good light for my helmet?’ is closed to new replies.