• This topic has 15 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by dobo.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Good, light, commuter locks… any suggestions?
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi Chaps,

Following on from the commuter light thread I posted – does anyone have any suggestions from decent commuter locks, which are light and can be attached to a bike or person easily?

Cheers

Ricks

AndyP
    Free Member

To paraphrase a great man: good…light. Pick any 1.

njee20
    Free Member

To paraphrase a great man: good…light. Pick any 1.

+10000

wwaswas

If at all possible try and leave the lock where the bike is going to be stored. Anythign worth having for all day use is going to weigh several kilos.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

No a decent lock will be heavy.

My preference is for a shackle lock that is double locking and has a bar of 16mm thickness – mine weighs 3 kg.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Presuming you already have a really decent but rather heavy lock left at your workplace, any of those mini D locks are good for locking up while you pop into the bakery. The braided cable things are useless.

TiRed

Where will you be parking? I’m lucky that my workplace is secure. But I do put a padlock through the chainring to prevent casual wheeling away (it’s fixed and someone migtht hurt themselves if they fancied a go). I recommend a good U lock kept at work otherwise. I like Squire as these aren’t soooo expensive and performed well in tests, but Abus and Kryptonite are all good (if heavy). Cable locks can normally be cut by something and aren’t secure out in the big bad world. Proper chains are too heavy for general use.

honourablegeorge

Those belt ones look neat and burly.

I’d be in the “Leave the lock at work” camp though.

cupra
    Free Member

Another leave the lock at work bod here. Abus d-lock in this case.

rickon
    Free Member

OK cool, its not for me – it’s for a girly. I’ll get her something a bit hefty and get her to leave it at work.

Any links out to decent’ish locks then, under £30…..

Cheers chaps

Ricks

speaker2animals

Being paranoid I actually leave 2 quite good ones at work. I have had 2 locvked bikes stolen previously before this regime.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

rickon – Member

OK cool, its not for me – it’s for a girly. I’ll get her something a bit hefty and get her to leave it at work.

Any links out to decent’ish locks then, under £30….

Nope – I would expect to pay at least twice that for one worth having and mine was well over £100 many years ago

Abus granit / magnumm maybe?

rickon
    Free Member

The bike in question will be kept in the locked compound on site, so I’m not that concern for her bike’s safety – it’s more just an additional deterrant….

No point spending anything less than £100 to keep a £300 bike safe?

TiRed

Squire Challenger U lock (bronze rated) available for £15 from these guys. I can’t seem to link to the page, but that is a bargain.

Northwind

There isn’t a cable lock that’s worth using, nor a chain that’s light enough to be portable but strong enough to be worthwhile. U-lock of your choice really.

Do you have any approval requirements for insurance? If you don’t, ignore all the approvals/ratings as they’re all made up pish. “We tried to cut this cable lock with scissors, a hacksaw, and tin snips and it BEAT ALL 3! Rated gold!” Did you try to cut it with cable cutters? No?

dobo
    Free Member

Check out onguard u locks, they are similar to kryptonite and are rated but much cheaper. even got the on amazon. look for the brute 16.8mm might keep tj happy. or the mini, propably quicker cut through the frame than either of these.
    also forget about carryin a 3kg ulock on your frame, the bracket will break eventually.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Good, light, commuter locks… any suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.