• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by M.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Good food and ale pubs near FoD?
  • M
    Free Member

Hi I’m looking for a nice country pub selling some good pub grub and local ales. Needs to be somewhere between Cheltenham and the FoD for a nice weekend lunch before continuing to the trails. Can anyone recommend a suitable pub?

Ta,

M.

Philby

The George at St Briavels – though might be slightly too far from Cheltenham to maximise riding opportunities.

M
    Free Member

Yeah that’s quite a way out as we’re heading over from Herts way. But I’ll keep that one in mind anyway.

IHN

Queens Head in Longford.

IHN

Or for twenty five quid I’ll cook you lunch 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Saracens at Symonds Yat is divine!

psling
    Free Member

Pubs that do food between Gloucester & FoD;

On A48 west of Gloucester – Apple Tree at Minsterworth, Red Lion at Westbury-on-Severn; then A4151 to FoD – Belfry at Littledean; then B4226 towards CycleCentre – Speech House.

On A40 west of Gloucester – Kings Head at Birdwood, Red Lion at Huntley; then just off A4136 to FoD – Red Hart at Blaisdon.

All the above do food but I haven’t eaten at any of them in the last few years so can’t comment on quality. You may have to pre-book though for Sunday lunches, sunday lunch out at the pub is pretty popular round here!

Others to be recommended but just off the route are The Ship at Newnham-on-Severn, The Dean Heritage Centre at Soudley (not a pub but worth a visit), The Malt Shovel at Ruardean (if you can find it!). A few ideas for you.

The Cycle Centre do a mean Bacon & Egg bap and Chips too 🙂

M
    Free Member

We ended up going to the http://www.thewyndhamhotel.co.uk/ near Clearwell. A bit snazzy but the food was nice and some local ale on tap.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Good food and ale pubs near FoD?’ is closed to new replies.