Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Good flapjack recipes?
  • matthew_h
    Free Member

I'd like a good recipe for flapjack so I can start making some for mid ride sustenance. Does anyone have one they'd be happy to share?

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

I've got a stonker. If you'll put your e-mail on your profile I'll mail it to you.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Nice one, fire it over to matthew@screamingjaffa.co.uk

cheers

nickc

Oats, golden syrup, soft brown sugar, butter.

About 6/7 large tablespoons of syrup, about 100grams of sugar, and about the same of butter all in a bowl, microwave it to melt butter, stir into a thick paste, pour onto 500g of oats (any sort, doesn't really matter, but soft rolled make nicest IMO) preheat oven, spread oats onto flat baking tray, bake at about 150deg for 15-20 mins or until golden brown, let it cool before turning out and cutting. You'll need to experiment with the measures a bit if you prefer hard or more biscuit like flapjack, plus you can add fruit or topping to your choice.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I'm happy to share my recipe with everyone, is yours top secret ChatsworthMusters?

Recipe for flapjack/fruitnut bar thing.

225g oats
    50g butter
    200g honey/syrup or 100g of each. You can add more for extra ‘moistness’.
    50g sunflower seeds
    50g pumpkin seeds
    5og almonds
    40g hazelnuts
    200g dried fruit

Melt butter and honey/syrup in a pan, mix dry ingredients together, pour on honey mix, stir together, put into baking tray, bake at 150 for around 20 minutes. Flatten mix with rolling pin then oool in tray. Once cool I spread on the chocolate topping, leave to cool then cut up. Makes about 18 bars. I usually line the tray with grease proof paper but if you need to grease it or it sticks to the flapjack.

I made some at the weekend with dried strawberries and banana chips, a lot chewier than normal but very nice. Also started adding a table spponful of peanut butter to the honey/syrup mix. Definately adds a certain something.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Hey Gary M. That's my recipie, but without chocolate topping. Damned good it is too.

DustyLilac
    Free Member

Delia's is great, add a broken up bar of Green & Blacks after letting the hot mix cool a bit before putting it in the tin.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Cheers Nick and Gary, they're great. Give me something to go at. Grand!

delusional
    Free Member

I don't have a flapjack recipe to hand to share (I think I usually use one I found in What Mountain Bike some time ago) but my top tip if you have a hopeless caffeine addiction (as I do) is to buy some of this: http://www.myprotein.co.uk/bulk-powders/health-and-wellness/caffeine/ and chuck a bit in the mix.

It's cheap and it gives you a kick when you need it, and gets around the tricky problem of getting enough caffeine when you're some miles from the nearest cafe.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Mine are definately more fruit and nut bar than 'flapjack' but they are great. Don't get too hung up on the ingredients – as long as you keep the oat/liquid/fruit&nut weights the same it'll be good.

delusional I was looking for caffiene powdre a while ago to put in my bars, thanks for the link.

teagirl
    Free Member

6oz butter
    2tbls syrup
    2-30z chopped dates or currents or what you fancy
    Melt above together

8oz oats
    4oz demerara sugar
    2oz sesame seeds
    Mix together then pour onto melted ingredients

Line 9ins square tin, pour in mixture and press down firmly.
    Cook at 160-180C for about 25mins
    Cool for 10mins, mark into bars then cool completely and cut.

I sometimes add a couple of over ripe bananas, mashed into the mix. It's a soft flapjack and the stuff that always gets me through rides. Bag it up for the freezer!

Like the sound of that fruity nutty one though….

Taz

Does flapjack store well in the freezer?

I shy away from making it as I always end up eating it all rather than saving for my rides (as is always my intention) 😳

Cutting it up and freezing some would be a great solution

teagirl
    Free Member

I always freeze mine, lived to tell tale! Bag it up individually and it's ready to grab and ride. It's also out of sight 😀

Taz

Will give that a try. Thanks for the tip

Off to the supermarket now 😀

robinbetts
    Free Member

Don't have the exact recipe, but my mum makes the best flapjacks!

The difference is she uses malassis sugar (the black clumpy stuff) instead of white or brown, and she might use black treacle instead of syrup! They are amazing! 😛

Also, add pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds and raisins… fantastic!!

Also (2), I've just make some cheese flapjacks which are great too, for something a bit more savory.

Enjoy!

robinbetts
    Free Member

Btw, I don't still live at my parents! 😉

spacemonkey

Cheesy flapjacks? That doesn't sound right.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Good flapjack recipes?’ is closed to new replies.