Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • good deflation
  • anagallis_arvensis

Is he for real?

kimbers

but the economy is in safe hands!

to be fair hes proibably still not come down from the election after party, I reckon it came to him after a big line of charlie from between a call girls breasts

anagallis_arvensis

How does all this tally with house prices going up?

bigblackshed

anagallis_arvensis – Member

That’s what he likes to called a strong economy.

Stoner
    Free Member

only the truly grumpy lefty would whinge about convenience good deflation.

‘Conventional wisdom is that deflation is a bad thing which leads to a negative economic spiral as households stop making purchases in anticipation of future price falls. But this hardly applies when the main driver of deflation, as would be the case in the UK, is falling essentials prices; households won’t stop purchasing food because prices might be lower in a month’s time, and similarly if you need petrol for your morning commute you aren’t going to postpone filling up your car. With this kind of “good deflation” lower essential costs free up household spending power and boost demand for more discretionary goods and services.’

DaRC_L

The truth is that if housing has inflation then how do we have deflation?

Oh 👿 because if the gov’t included housing costs into the inflation calculation (as they did through the 60’s, 70’s and into the 80’s)
    then those troublesome workers/tax payers would demand higher pay rises and then profits would tumble.

johnners
    Free Member

I thought they excluded housing costs from many of these indicators?

anagallis_arvensis

Surely though I would spend my money on something other than petrol and deflation wouldnt occur as demand for coke and hookers has gone up. The reakity is we are just spending it on housing which isnt included in inflation figures.

That was directed at stonor by the way

allthepies
    Free Member

So you’re hacked off that fuel and food prices are falling ?

footflaps

If households save the spare money or pay down debt with it, then there will be a corresponding loss to GDP, so it’s not all rosy. However, it looks like just a dip and we’ll be back to weak inflation again next quarter, so hardly worth worrying about.

anagallis_arvensis

No I’m dismayed a chancellor would think deflation is a good thing or more that the population believe him

mrchrispy

I’d wager that ‘most’ households wont save the spare money or pay down debt and spunk the cash on sky TV and stella.

/middle class rant

ninfan
    Free Member

Hang on, I thought Tory economic policies had led to a cost of living crisis?

And Labour supporters wonder why they lost…

allthepies
    Free Member

The economists quoted on the BBC News site seem to think it’s good.

Ian Stewart, chief economist at Deloitte, said the fall was “likely to prove short-lived and positive for growth”.

“Falling prices raise consumer spending power and help keep interest rates low. This looks like the mild and benign variety of deflation, which is good news for consumers and for growth,” he said.

Andrew Sentance, senior economic adviser at PricewaterhouseCoopers and a former member of the Bank of England’s Monetary Policy Committee, said he did not expect the fall in prices to be sustained.
    “Once the impact of the big drop in oil prices drops out of the annual inflation rate, it will move back up to 1-2% over the next year or so. With wage inflation picking up, we may soon be considering the prospect of above-target inflation,” he said.
    “In the meantime, flat or slightly falling consumer prices are good for growth, boosting real consumer spending power. So a temporary period of slightly negative inflation can be good for the UK economy.”

Pigface
    Free Member

Not sure where you live but fuel has gone up 2p in the last fortnight.

What wage increase, frozen for 3 years and 1% this year.

DaRC_L

“Falling prices raise consumer spending power and help keep interest rates low. This looks like the mild and benign variety of deflation, which is good news for consumers and for growth,” he said.

Hmmmm can I put the cynical POV…
    it’s May, the start of wage negotiations at a number of large organisations, a small dip into deflation means that the organisations can argue for no pay increases.

The latest news on the Oil front is that price per barrel is rising due to IS and general Middle East turmoil

So no wages rises, then as soon as the negotiations are over inflation again.
    Of course none of this helps the debt to GDP ratio.

allthepies
    Free Member

That should please the OP as the next set of inflation figures will probably go back to positive numbers 😉

footflaps

it’s May, the start of wage negotiations at a number of large organisations, a small dip into deflation means that the organisations can argue for no pay increases.

But it will the good kind of ‘no pay increases’, rather then the bad type under Labour.

slowoldman

Not sure where you live but fuel has gone up 2p in the last fortnight.

Yep. Here too.

gonefishin
    Free Member

No I’m dismayed a chancellor would think deflation is a good thing or more that the population believe him

If there is one thing that I’ve learned it is that there is very little that is good or bad in economics. Whether it is inflation, deflation, monopolies, or a perfect market nothing is black and white it’s all a bit grey and more complicated that most people would like.

johnners
    Free Member

If there is one thing that I’ve learned it is that there is very little that is good or bad in economics. Whether it is inflation, deflation, monopolies, or a perfect market nothing is black and white it’s all a bit grey and more complicated that most people would like.

Be off with you, your nuanced opinions have no place here on STW.

anagallis_arvensis

Very true gonefishing.

DaRC_L

And that politicians don’t understand any of it… or if they do they are so far into the steaming pile of bs that they can longer do anything than spout more bs

footflaps

And that politicians don’t understand any of it..

I’m sure they do, they just don’t care. Everything, good or bad, is just spun to agree with their pre-conceived ideology.

Northwind

footflaps – Member

I’m sure they do, they just don’t care. Everything, good or bad, is just spun to agree with their pre-conceived ideology.

To be fair, complex or nuanced messages don’t play well with their audience either. It’s not right that they default to simple buzzwords etc but I can see why it’s appealing.

mcj78
    Free Member

DaRC_L – Member

Hmmmm can I put the cynical POV…
    The latest news on the Oil front is that price per barrel is rising due to IS and general Middle East turmoil

So no wages rises, then as soon as the negotiations are over inflation again.
    Of course none of this helps the debt to GDP ratio.

This…

/cynic

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

AA it an average of a basket of goods – some have gone up in price (education, restaurants, housing, booze and fags) others have gone down (scoff, non-booze, transport, recreation etc). Net, net the basket of goods that cost £10 last year now costs £9.90 – go make a headline!!

Given the 12% decrease in fuel prices included in this calculation not too hard to guess how permanent the negative figure will be.

anagallis_arvensis

Education is in it?!?

gonefishin
    Free Member

Well it’s a fairly low weighted item but yes, evening classes, university fees, as well as private school fees are all included.

Just because you don’t spend money on an item doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be included. I don’t spend a lot on hairdressing, leg waxing and slimming clubs but that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be included.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m not his biggest fan, but he might be onto something – the two major drivers are fuel prices, which are being artificially driven down by Saudi / OPEC to piss off Russia and attempt to kill off new competitors by making exploration uneconomic and Food which is being driven down party because of fuel prices and party because the supermarkets are cutting each others throats to gain customers.

You never know, it might even, just maybe be caused by consumers learning the lessons of the last 5 years and not running headlong into spending thousands of stuff they don’t need on 0% deals and credit cards, but I doubt it.

anagallis_arvensis

But if the economy were doing well demand for other goods would pick up the slack surely?

Just because you don’t spend money on an item doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be included. I don’t spend a lot on hairdressing, leg waxing and slimming clubs

I’m sure more people spend money on leg waxing than send kids to private schools. Its what less than 10% of children. Hardly your average basket.

gonefishin
    Free Member

I’m sure more people spend money on leg waxing than send kids to private schools. Its what less than 10% of children. Hardly your average basket.

I’m sure you are correct but then given that the total education section has a weighting of 2.6% and the Misc goods and services (the one with the leg waxing etc) has a weighting of 9.1%, it’s almost as if the people who generate these numbers take that sort of thing into account…

anagallis_arvensis

Well if they dont include most peoples biggest purchase and monthly spend its almost as if they are not entirely trustworthy!

Kryton57

mrchrispy – Member
    I’d wager that ‘most’ households wont save the spare money or pay down debt and spunk the cash on sky TV and stella.

You forgot cheese. And those mini M&S cheeseburgers, yum to top up the Ocado delivery. I might even be able to stretch to a new 520d, business edition no less. And we can start having After Eigts every Sunday, not just at Christmas.

Sorry what was the problem again?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Well AA, you can go and advise them on a more representative basket. But for the moment that’s how it works. Not sure how much of Gavs fake tan makes it into the mix but a good job education does.

anagallis_arvensis

Does it not strike you as odd that housing costs arent included? Strikes me as the reason we have deflation. Any extra cash is spent on that I’d wagr

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Not really, housing costs are included in RPI which as you may expect is currently (ie today) 1 percentage point or 100 basis points higher than CPI which excludes housing costs. This gap,is termed the “wedge” in official releases.

Before we get on to trustworthiness and those nasty Tories etc, you should note that we use the EU harmonised version of CPI, so this is not unique to the UK. In fact the UK also publishes CPIH which includes a housing element, but now we are complicating things.

anagallis_arvensis

I wasnt referring to Tories. Labour are just as bad imo (with most things but this too).
    Dress it up however you like inflation being so low for so long isnt a good sign. Todays drop below 0 means nowt in real terms when compared to having had very low inflation for a long time.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I wasnt referring to Tories. Labour are just as bad imo (with most things but this too).

I was joking. Actually nothing to do with either – as I said it’s an EU designed measure.

Dress it up however you like inflation being so low for so long isnt a good sign.

Depends on who you are. For some it’s a godsend. As others have said above, if on the other hand that you want to deflate your way out of debt, then it’s not a good story.

Todays drop below 0 means nowt in real terms

Boom, tish….

On balance probably good news today though.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

If deflation is a good thing as some suggest then it begs the question why the Bank of England target is 2% inflation ?

The Bank of England target is not 1% inflation, or -0.1% inflation, but 2%.

The Bank of England is more than 1% off target.

Someone needs to do some explaining if the Bank of England target is not what is best for the UK economy.

And perhaps the Bank of England target now needs to be changed ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘good deflation’ is closed to new replies.