Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Good, cheap plonk in the Algarve?
  • yunki
    Free Member

Having a week away with the family next week..

Are we gonna be able to find good cheap wine..?

ElShalimo

Yes

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Mateus Rosé. Can’t go wrong mate. Keep the bottle – makes a lovely holder for a candle on the balcony in the evening.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Among local Vinho Verdia, the Eu Odeio Crianca has some followers but can get a little sharp at times.

BillMC

Good. I too shall be researching vinho verde in Lisbon soon.

Mackem

Nowt wrong with a Douro.

Even the vino verde is good (not Matteus)

if you are going to Lisbon, go to the Institute of Port wine. A huge catalogue of Ports you can try by the glass. It closes early so make it your first drink of the night.

ste_t
    Free Member

Pains me to say….. Found an Aldi (possibly netto, can never remember,) over there. Wine cost pennies, absolutely crazy

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Yeah, lived up to my Britishness and was hammered most of the time when I went out to visit my wife on her work trip.

Pastries and booze. You’ve gotta try the pastries as well. Are you flying into Lisbon or the Algarve? If Lisbon, spend one night getting slammed and eating tapas in Bairro Alto.

wallop

Pastel de nata!

grum
    Free Member

Are you flying into Lisbon or the Algarve? If Lisbon, spend one night getting slammed and eating tapas in Bairro Alto.

+1

Also +1 to Douro. We bought a couple of random cheap-ish bottles at the airport on the way home and they were really lovely.

steve-g
    Free Member

Brings back memories.

As above, find yourself a lidl and buy literally any wine and it we be of at least the standard of the mainstream usual suspects back in the UK. When we we’re there we went super cheap with the intention of using it to make sangria with back at the villa, but on tasting it it was perfectly serviceable red wine and had cost, with the exchnge rate, virtually nothing.

Every off licence in the whole of the Algarve has a life sized carboard cut out of Cliff Richard in it, smiling at you, presumably telling you in Portuguese to drink more wine. I later learned that he owns vineyards out there, but at the time that was a bit of a drunken mind blown moment.

Then there is Vinho Verde, super light and fresh, I think that is like the Portuguese equivalent to drinking Rose, it’s brilliant. Again cheap, and weaker, so at a meal you would always go for that dangerous second bottle.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

+1 for Douro, also Dão. Costs buttons in the supermarkets.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Good, cheap plonk in the Algarve?’ is closed to new replies.