Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Good Bike Torque Wrench?
  • markymark1993
    Free Member

Looking for a good cheapish torque wrench as I dont wana risk braking bolts on my bike. Don’t have much knowledge on torque wrenches and I don’t want anything like nasa would use just something good quality and reasonably accurate. preferably something around £30 as money is tight but could stretch to £50 If it is worth it. Any suggestions?

somafunk

This 2nm – 14nm torque wrench is exactly the same as the pedros branded £80+ torque wrench and comes with hex bits and a protective case, perfectly decent for home bike use.

Or something like this may get more use as it is very handy and preset with the most used 5nm torque setting for the likes of bars, seatpost clamps, stem bolts & faceplates etc.

markymark1993
    Free Member

Thanks for your reply thats exactly what I need it for, I think 5nm will be all I need. They both look great quality tools trying to think if the wrench is worth the money difference tho. Like if i can use the torque tool to sort 90% of my problems then I don’t think I would go with the wrench. Guna wait for more members to comment thanks for your reply.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Ive got a Ritchey Torque key which I assume Superstar have shamelessly ripped off been inspired by, 5nm is sufficient for all the stuff you’d worry about and has had rave reviews since it came out.

Every time someone buys a SSC product a crow scratches a baby’s face and a fairy drowns in a kittens tears.

marsdenman
    Free Member
    zelak999
    Free Member

I bought this one X Tools Torque Wrench
    Does the job well with no drama.

sam_underhill

Don’t keep it in your shed. The moisture will kill it.
    My replacement is one of these Norbar wrenches. Seems like a quality tool.

markymark1993
    Free Member

Thanks for all your replies but guna wait for even more replies, can anyone tell me if I could live fine with just a torque tool which will be used for faceplates,seat post’s etc. as they have very good reviews

markymark1993
    Free Member

Any more Reply’s ?

Dibbs
    Free Member

Normal SLO, good but not cheap. 🙂

drlex
    Free Member

Colleague has the BBB one and likes it.

markymark1993
    Free Member

Thanks for both of your replies will check them out 🙂

slowclimb
    Free Member

I was after a torque wrench the other week for exactly the same things, face plates, seat posts etc and I bought this: http://www.topeak.com/products/Homeshop-Tools/combotorq_bit_set
    Seems spot on so far.

raisinhat
    Free Member

The superstar one is even cheaper on amazon. I’ve got one and it seems to work pretty well.

Both ritchey and bontrager make 5nm preset ones, which are great if all you want is seatpost and stem bolts to the right value. I’m sure there’s other makes as well.

markymark1993
    Free Member

thanks for your reply snow climb, I am a great admirer of toppeaks product I have a topeak pump and although has nothing todo with torque wrenches has lasted me years and is cheap. I have read the reviews of the wrench you posted and they seem to be great. I think I will go for this I don’t think I can go wrong for £17. A lot of people are telling me to pay £50 plus for a wrench but for what I want it for I don’t think that is the right choice. Thanks again thinking of buying it!

markymark1993
    Free Member

Thanks raisinhat , found the same one that snowclimb posted for £17 think I will go for it.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Have a pro-tek one for sale in the classifieds

b45her
    Free Member

i find the arm + common sense method to work just fine.

corsair
    Free Member

i find the arm and common sense method to work just fine.

Sadly, I find that common sense is quite uncommon.

Northwind

The trouble with torquefingers is it takes a while to calibrate them, and you do this by stripping threads/breaking bolts. I have a full set but if I didn’t i’d be getting one of those little wrenches.

But anyway, the other thing is, don’t slavishly trust a torque wrench. A mate of mine bought one and became the king of krossthreadland overnight, it’s as if it switches off the part of the brain that says “This ain’t right”. It’s not clicked so keep going! The bars don’t feel tight but the wrench says they are so I’ll just go off this dropppaaaargh. It’s not a replacement for a bit of sense, just a useful addition.

phead
    Free Member

2-24nm for<£30?

I have the same Sealey one, its worked well. Whichever one you get remember to wind it out after use.

frogstomp

And the Sealey one is £28 here if you’re a penny-pincher like me!

markymark1993
    Free Member

Thanks for sharing trying to work out what will be better the topeak or the sealey

markymark1993
    Free Member

Thought I would open this post up again as I am still wondering weather or not to get a torque tool/wrench. My question is this for no more than £50, is a torque tool/ wrench better than a trusty alan key for faceplates mainly? Sadly to many mixed opinions have put me of buying one and still winding the old allan key!

iainc

The simple Ritchey one now comes with a set of different sized allen and torx heads. Ok its preset to 5Nm, but it’s a steal at around £15

here it is

wurzelcube
    Free Member

I’ve got the cyclo torque wrench and it serves its purpose well.

vincienup
    Free Member

+1 for keeping it indoors. Also, remember to wind it back to zero when you’re done rather than leaving it at torque – isn’t a problem with tools in daily use but will lead to inaccuracy in occasional tools.

I got a cheap one from ze Germans out of the savings on a set of tyres and cassette…

Very much like this, in fact (except I remember it being a good fiver cheaper…)

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k1242/a14837/torque-wrench-expert-5-25-nm.html

vincienup
    Free Member

Also, remember to nip things up finger tight and then do an opposing pattern like you would for a cylinder head etc when doing things like rotors and faceplates …
    I use mine for everything I know a torque for.
    Is it better? Depends how inclined to overtighten you are.
    It’s certainly peace of mind.
    Some would argue essential for super light and carbon parts, some will call snake oil…

GrahamS

I have the BBB one mentioned above. Seems like a nice enough bit of kit for the money. Easy to use, nice case, supplied with bits. But I’m a very light user – mainly just got it to avoid killing a carbon seat post.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Good Bike Torque Wrench?’ is closed to new replies.