Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Good base for mountain biking in the Lake District
  • coolbeanz
    Free Member

I’m planning to spend 3 nights in the Lake District next week.

What would be a good base to hit some classic trails?

Would Coniston work well?

crashrash

I would head for Kewick – got Borrowdale, Honister and Whinlatter on the doorstep there so dead easy.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Borrowdale yh.

Four passes
    Whiteless and grisedale pikes
    Borrowdale bash wi cheek

That’s 3 great days biking, and a few great pubs nearby too.

mrmoofo

Olde Dungeon Ghyll

jekkyl

Keswick, no doubt.

martinhutch

Coniston would be great.

Walna Scar and Grizedale close by. More stuff up towards Little Langdale/Loughrigg/Ambleside.

Keswick would be ace, as long as you don’t mind a bit of cheek.

rascal
    Free Member

Buttermere, Keswick…wouldn’t bother with Coniston.

lesgrandepotato

Coniston has a lot going for it, langdales and grizedale

coolbeanz
    Free Member

OK, so the majority vote is for Keswick.

I’m planning to stay in a YHA.

Of the following ones near Keswick with availability during my trip, which would be the best situated do you think?

– YHA Borrowdale
    – YHA Buttermere
    – YHA Helvellyn
    – YHA Ennerdale

boxelder

As a Keswick local, I’d suggest Ambleside, Esthwaite (Hawkshead) or Coniston. There are a greater density of legally rideable trails. While people post how good Keswick is on here, a lot of those trails are footpaths, and are quite committing – especially in mixed weather. Look at Postie Rich’s Jenn ride route – 100 miles of brilliant, legal riding around Ambleside.
    If you are heading to Keswick, stick to the Borrowdale Bash, Tour of Skiddaw and legal riding out around Buttermere and Loweswater.
    Just my opinion, as a local rider, bearing in mind it’s peak holiday season.

EDIT – of the YHAs you list, Borrowdale. Helvellyn is the wrong side of a big mountain (though great riding around Ullswater), Ennerdale is the middle of nowhere and Buttermere, while beautiful, is also very rural.

coolbeanz
    Free Member

Thanks a lot for the insight boxelder, very useful

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’d echo being a bit more central, especially as holiday traffic can be a right pain and some of the honey pot areas are not as much higher fun to ride when it’s full of people, certainly want to avoid some of the cheeky when it’s busy.

jekkyl

try derwentwater independent hostel, an old yha, right on the lake and also on the Borrowdale Bash route. 2 mins from Keswick in the car as well.

scaredypants

derwentwater independent hostel, an old yha, right on the lake and also on the Borrowdale Bash

you can sit on the terrace with a beer and pretend you’re landed gentry too !
    (as long as the other peasants are all inside)

Drac

Coniston for the reasons Boxelder gives.

jekkyl

the derwentwater indy hostel has a magnificent set of waterfalls behind it. You can watch all manner of birds while having breakfast, including a woodpecker. If you head down to the lake and head left along the shore 2 minutes there’s a little sorta grass beach where if the weather’s nice you can have a little swim and look up at the hill (walla Crag?) behind. I may have stayed there one or two times.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’d echo being a bit more central, especially as holiday traffic can be a right pain and some of the honey pot areas are not as much higher fun to ride when it’s full of people, certainly want to avoid some of the cheeky when it’s busy.

One of the reasons the North western fells are my area of choice right now, rode an all cheeky route 2 weeks ago, hardly met a soul. Those we did meet are genuine outdoorsy types, who appreciate the effort, as opposed to the fat grumpy bastards on the bridleways around the likes of ambleside in summer, who only walk once a year and think that you shouldn’t be there.

lowey

Coniston. Decent Youth Hostel on the outskirts of town, plus a great one in the Copper Mines Valley, about 20 mins walk out of town.

Superb riding in all directions and 3 great pubs in the center of town.

gkeeffe

As a S Lakes resident, I’d recommend Ambleside. Good rides garburn/Staveley, Claife/Grizedale, Tilberthwaite/Coniston. For three different days, More food places, excellent bike shop/ craick BIKETREKS. Can even go on the BIKETREKS Shop rides if you’re around Tues or Thurs.

D0NK

we did 4 days in keswick recently, 1 ride from near braithwaite on the drive up and 3 rides from the door of Denton house hostel, recommended if you like cheeky, hikeabike, technical riding. Coniston would probably be my second option for more legal rideable (up and down) stuff, haven’t stayed there myself but I know others who have and they rate it.

postierich
    Free Member

For no hike a bike the South Lakes Jennride is perfect and very easy to spilt up from Ambleside
    https://www.strava.com/activities/578465072
    I do like the Coniston area, but my riding over there contains lots of dodgy cheeky!

sefton
    Free Member

coniston!

awesome place with secure bike storage http://conistonholidaycottage.com/

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Good base for mountain biking in the Lake District’ is closed to new replies.