Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Gonna be icy tomorrow – should I ride? Will you?
  • Kahurangi

16 mile commute, plenty of hills, not familiar with some of the roads (as the route is diverting around some compressed-snow-turned-ice cycle tracks). Northumberland – we’ve had some snow today, mostly started melting and now it’s frozen. Lots of black ice.

Do I chance it – ride when I know there’s a big risk of an off on my last day of work before chrimbo, work party and driving home for Christmas.

Or do I take it easy, drive to work in my nice heated tin box and miss the last opportunity to get a good ride to work in till January?

I suspect I already know the answer, I just want someone to make me feel better about it!

andy7t2
    Free Member

ride you whimp

scaredypants

Lots of black ice … a good ride to work

good, how ?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

MTFU Jon! Phone in sick and come and join me up on Hexhamshire Common :_)

Taff
    Free Member

Ride it! You know you want to

jonnyv
    Free Member

man ride good.

neil853
    Free Member

I’d take the car and look forward to some riding over christmas! To be honest even if i wanten to ride to work tomorrow i couldn’t, done 4 days riding to work this week (100 miles) and my legs are f**ked 🙂

MoreCashThanDash

I’ll be driving in tomorrow – partly becuase I’m scared of black ice having come off in the last lot, and partly because I have to nip out in my lunch hour to see the physio to have some treatment for the damage I did when I came off in the last lot.

The extra cost of petrol I’ve used commuting to avoid the icy trails and the physio fees would have bought me a pair of Ice Spiker Pros!

mikey74
    Free Member

If it’s on a road bike – no; if it’s on a mountain bike with nobbly tyres – yes, but take it easy.

Kahurangi

good, how ?

Any ride is a good ride.

Hexhamshire Common

I would do but Greg’s back in tomorrow. He’d know 🙁 Going N York Moors on Sunday though

finbar
    Free Member

Should you ride? No, if you have to ask.

Will i ride? Of course.

barrykellett
    Free Member

I’m mtbing it
    Its snowing heavy here.

Providing the wife makes it home from her xmas do tonight!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I would – but I have spike tyres and no car

crocodilian
    Free Member

Riding tomorrow…but then I am in Bucks and as yet have no snow. Should have snow on Saturday!

mlke
    Free Member

‘orrible roads at the moment I’d be less worried by dropping my bike and more over getting wiped out by some sliding cars. I suggest staying allive until the thaw and keeping the bike in the shed.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

I’ll ride but have a shorter, flatter route than the OP describes, and a set of spikes. Although if it doesn’t seem too bad in the morning i’ll take the road bike with normal tyres.

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

I’m riding my mtb to work at the moment which in all honesty is knackering but is still saving me £11 a day in train fares. Must admit I fell off my bike when the rear of my bike started overtaking my front wheel and was lucky there wasn’t a car behind but I wasn’t concentrating fully. Because of the black ice I was worried about riding down an A road with all the crazy traffic and felt adventurous so happened upon a bridleway with some fantastic early morning views and isn’t a much longer route than riding by road. When icy and on the road concentrate fully. It isn’t much fun when black ice is about but for me I don’t like the alternatives. I wouldn’t recommend it on slick tyres definately not.

Northwind

It’s already as icy as all hell here, there’s no prospect of half the estate getting their cars out tomorrow. Motorbike seems to be quite a bad idea all things considered so I’ve just stuck my diy ice tyres on the rigid mtb and took it out for a spin. Thought “Hmm, I’m still sliding about, these aren’t very good”, put my foot down, instantly fell over- I’d braked to a halt on a sheet of black ice :mrgreen:

So yeah, I’ll be cycling since it turns out £2 worth of screws means I can ride where i can’t walk.

finbar
    Free Member

Should you ride? No, if you have to ask.

Will i ride? Of course.

😳 😳 😳 😳 😳 😳

THIS IS BRILLIANT!

I forgot my lunch today, so i rode home to get it, slipped off on some black ice and ripped my rear mech off.

trb
    Free Member

I had to cut back on my alcohol comsumption last night to ensure I wasn’t over the limit to drive in today, because I still ache from hitting the deck on Wednesdays ice (road bike with slick tyres)

trickydisco
    Free Member

because I still ache from hitting the deck on Wednesdays ice (road bike with slick tyres)

Friend at work did the same this week. He was back in today but taking tramadol. The random conversations and smile on his face said it all 🙂

rep341
    Free Member

MMMm I am thinking of hitting 7 stanes- maybe Kirroughtree
    I have Ice Spikers- should I fit them and ride or will they get wrecked and be crap anyway???

taxi25
    Free Member

I wouldn’t, don’t listen to all the MTFU merchants. Its all the hopless no idea how to drive in snow and ice drivers you have to think about. I was working today, and you wouldn’t believe the things I saw on he roads in Cardiff.
    I always rember this when the roads are icy.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/cycling/4606514.stm

squid
    Free Member

Must admit down here in deepest darkest Essex it was a tad on the cold side no frost just lots of black ice,but riding through the woods at 6:15ish was entertaining nice crunchy leaves mixed with yesterdays mud made the teeth jar a lot,
    You know your alive after a ride like that !!!

Wot i don’t get is how it can be “-5 but feels like -11” with no frigging wind ??

Surely its either -5 OR -11 !!

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Pounding Dalbeattie tomorrow. Excellent.

Kahurangi

Yeah I drove today, good decision I think. The only other fella who might have ridden did – and nearly came a cropper.

rep341
    Free Member

Spokes on normal tyres?

coastkid
    Free Member

Northumberland?, check the tide times and head for Holy Island..or the nearest beach…it will be so cold sand above the high tide line will be frozen and rideable on any bike…and alot of fun 😮

Kahurangi

eek. The sound of sand on my chain though.. I’ll not sleep for weeks…. *grind* *scrunch* *grind* *skrawk*

going to Guisborough on Sunday… that should make up for it!

coastkid
    Free Member

dry lube…no grind… 😉 😮

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Rep341- yep. I can’t afford my ice tyres yet so I’ll just get the big ones on and wear knee pads. I may leave the 3 sisters alone, but I don’t think I’ve ever ridden Dalbeattie in non-icy/flood conditions.

As a bonus I’m doing Kirro on Sunday too.

ThePilot
    Free Member

I was if-fy about riding tomorrow, mainly because of the transport (trains), but now I’ll mainly be having a huge hangover. Sunday might be an option for me. Have a good one everyone who rides tomorrow.

Woody
    Free Member

It was supposed to start snowing here (Durham) at 0900 today – it’s now 1000 and nothing !!

Hopefully by the time I’ve been to the dentist at 1100 it’ll be nice fluffy thick snow as there is no way I’m going out on sheet ice with an Endomorph on the front 😯

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Gonna be icy tomorrow – should I ride? Will you?’ is closed to new replies.