Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Gone from 3×9 to 2×9 with a bash taking the place of the big ring
  • tmb467
    Free Member

I’ve shortened the chain by a few links (probably one too many but hey ho) but whilst out today I found that the chain kept jumping onto the granny from the middle ring (or inner from the outer perhaps)

Now I’ve read that if I go to 1×9 or 1×10 I can stop it by fitting a chain keeper but my questions are
    1- how do I do this on a 2x system
    2- why does it happen now but not when I had a big ring
    3- how do I make it stop ?

fadda

a) you can get chain guides for 2x set-ups but, in my (extremely limited) experience, they only “sort of” work.

b) something must have moved – your indexing might need a tweak

c) either of the above, but I’d recommend making sure b) is right, before spending money on a).

soobalias
    Free Member

couple of pics of the drivetrain might help online diagnosis.

ads678

Stick a blackspire singer on it and check your indexing/limit screws.

br
    Free Member

Put the big ring back on?

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

As above. I’d check the cable tension and indexing on your front mech. You can adjust it so that it only indexes to middle and inner ring positions if you have a play. Have same setup on my Karate Monkey and it works fine.

tmb467
    Free Member

Hmmm – I’d been faffing trying to stop the chain rubbing on the mech when in the highest gear so is tightened the cable slightly

It shifts up and down fine but the mech now seems a bit too high (although it hasn’t been moved since I took the big ring off)

Ill try and get pics up somehow – hard to do from a phone

Cheers all

tmb467
    Free Member

Btw it is set to only index to inner and middle positions and shifts and sits fine.

Just skips from middle to inner ring when bouncing around rough stuff (which can be quite disconcerting)

Give it a few months and ill move to 1×10 which will help (but doesn’t sort it now!)

PJM1974
    Free Member

Possibly it’s chain tension, maybe you need to take another couple of links out. Otherwise, a Blackspire Stinger is a great piece of kit for the money, my AM bike is pretty happy with 2×9 with a Bash and a Stinger.

althepal

Did the same thing, shortened my chain, adjusted the front mech screws and fitted a stinger..
    The Stinger worked great btw- would recommend it.

tmb467
    Free Member

Don’t think I can take anymore links out really – but it didn’t drop when there were more links in and running a triple

Ill mebbe stick a stinger on as its the least faff. Just hope my iscg bolt holes didn’t get clogged when I had the frame recoated

As ever, stw has an answer – but no sarcasm

chakaping
    Free Member

IME Stinger works great with 2×9 or 2×10 on a 3x crankset with bash.

I have a new ISCG 05 version in black if that’s what you need and you’d like to save a few bob?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Gone from 3×9 to 2×9 with a bash taking the place of the big ring’ is closed to new replies.