Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Gone 10 speed but cant get the gears working……
  • mcboo
    Free Member

I’ve moved my 10 speed XTR set-up over to my Ti456 which up until now has run fine with 9-speed. Whatever I try I cant get the chain to stay in the smallest sprocket on the cassette. Tried a couple of different wheels but it just wont stop kicking back up. Have set the H/L screws right back, tried playing with the B-screw, no tension in the cable, nothing seems to work.

Anyone else had this? Could it be my frame is bent? LBS replaced my cables and had a go at it but couldnt get it to work. Any ideas? Thanks

sunnrider
    Free Member

Sounds like something is bent/out of line. If you remove the cable tension (leave it unscrewed) will the chain sit sit in the smallest sprocket then?

cynic-al
    Free Member

pic?

mcboo
    Free Member

Thats it in the small ring but it wont stay there. No tension in the cable

allthepies
    Free Member

Mech looks p*ssed.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

is the lock ring to big and kicking the chain up? have you put the spacer at the rear?

simondbarnes

Looks bent

mcboo
    Free Member

No spacer, 10 speed cassette you dont put one on correct?

cynic-al
    Free Member

bent outwards.

Try a washer on the mech once straightened.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Mech or hanger looks to be well bent to me. Get the hanger alignment checked first then see what state the mech is in

mcboo
    Free Member

Cool, have another LBS nearby, will get them to have a look.

Thanks

billyboy
    Free Member

I agree….hanger alignment looks out or derailleur is bent.

So I’ll resist the urge to abuse the new 10 speed systems for being crrrrrr.., the mavic wheel for being cccccrr.., and the Ti 456 frame that will probably soon break (if it was a Lynskey one). I just won’t say any of those things.

mcboo
    Free Member

Those Mavic wheels I’m not sold on, not all that strong I dont think and not particularly light. Too much money.

10 speed you’re way off, is smooth as butter, never going back.

And that is one of the very first Lynskey Ti456, one of the first batch. Best bike I’ve ever owned, going to be replaced after it has taken me the length of the Pyrenees this summer with a Lynskey Ridgeline 29er.

All in all I’d say you are talking crrrrrrrrrrrrrrap.

STATO
    Free Member

Shadow type mechs always look on the squiff to me, i think they are designed to sit on a bit of an angle in gears 1 and 10.

My guess for your problem is your mech hanger is too thin, if you compare it to the more common replaceable ones. Stick a 1mm washer between the mech and hanger and youll be sorted, i think there have been quite a few threads about this before.

mcboo
    Free Member

Ah ok, will try that. Ta

mcboo
    Free Member

You guys are the berries……spacer did it. Cheers.

trail_rat
    Free Member

My 456 steel is the same – needs a spacer between the axel and the frame to let me use the smallest sprocket .

Pita really but a workable solution. May put one on the mech instead with my new wheels 🙂

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

all my road cassettes have a spacer behind the cassette body

mcboo
    Free Member

I put it between the mech and hanger as STATO suggested, works well.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Yep, same with my BFe. Must just be a skinny steel (or Ti!) dropout thing.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Gone 10 speed but cant get the gears working……’ is closed to new replies.