• This topic has 104 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)
  • Golovkin v Alvarez
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Got to give Ali respect for beating Sonny Liston twice who seemed pretty formidable and George Foreman who had previously destroyed Joe Frazier .

Yep, foreman (mark 1) was an absolute beast…

I’d of liked to see how a prime tyson got on with the likes of Lewis and Bowe (appreciate that his prime was before that pair established themselves so theoretical)

I got the impression that if they could stand up to tyson for the first 4 or 5 rounds then both would have beaten him.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Well it’s all hypothetical but given that Lewis was knocked out by Oliver McAll and Hasim Rahman I have to suspect that it wouldn’t have ended well for him against a prime Tyson . Bowe was , in my opinion not quite as good as Lewis and probably would have gone the same way .

Pigface
    Free Member

But look what Lewis did to Rahman when he took it seriously. IMO Lewis is underrated.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Yes Lewis avenged both of those defeats and was a great world champion , not least for the dignity with which he conducted himself out of the ring . He beat up a past it Iron Mike but I fancy in his prime it would have ended differently . All speculation and means nothing though does it .

tpbiker
    Free Member

Lewis’s defeats certainly count against him but he is far better than anyone that tyson ever beat.

I give him a free pass for the 1st Rahman fight, he was clearly massively out of shape and unprepared. You saw what happened the 2nd time.

Mccall I’m not sure you can say he was unprepared, he was young, motivated and in his prime. Just got hit by a great punch. (whether he should have been allowed to carry on as the champ is up for debate)

I personally have lewis slightly above tyson, certainly his record is better, he beat better fighters. But Head to head would be an absolute pickem

Which kind of highlights the issue with P4P all time lists. We are comparing apples with pears, especially at heavyweight. Not many people would ever rate lewis or tyson over Louis in a p4p list for example, but I’d put good money on both winning head to head. Louise was about 15 stone, dont think Ali was much bigger. Even tyson, who was pretty small for a modern heavy weighed well over 16.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I do realise this thread has completely gone off topic! Maybe a boxing thread is required, similar to the UFC one.

Seem to be a few posters on here who know there stuff, and I never get tired of bickering about who would beat who in theoretical match ups!

DezB
    Free Member

Holmes was out of the ring 2 years and 38 when he lost to Tyson. Holmes fought Ali when Ali was 38 and pre fight medicals said Ali should not be given a license due to speech slurring and numbness and tingling in his hands.
    Can’t recall much about Ali v Berbick other than it was his last fight

Oh ffs mate, don’t you know what a WINK means??

tpbiker
    Free Member

Oh ffs mate, don’t you know what a WINK means??

technically kevin Mcbride is better than Ali…:-)

DezB
    Free Member

Exactly. And Danny Williams! 😆

tpbiker
    Free Member

Exactly. And Danny Williams!

you know what that means right?

Audley Harrison is better that Ali.

My world has officially been turned upside down. (although I always rooted for A Force, I just loved his optimism)

DezB
    Free Member

Annnyway! Billy Joe’s fight was a right flop. Callum Smith’s was a surprisingly entertaining do – proper tough Swede had him worried a few times. Will spend the rest of the week catching up on the undercards.

mooman
    Free Member

Ramsey Neil – Member
    Got to give Ali respect for beating Sonny Liston twice who seemed pretty formidable and George Foreman who had previously destroyed Joe Frazier .

The Ali myth again. Look at fight film of Liston – he was pretty terrible. Sure he had a nasty fearsome reputation that proceeded him; something Foreman adopted later to good effect … but skills wise, Liston was very bad.
    There have been a couple books written on Liston (Night Train being very good) and document his heavy involvement in organised crime and his drug addictions at time of the Clay/Ali fight.

Practically every ringside report of the fight called it a fix. And not a very well orchestrated one because it was so blatantly obvious … the birth of the Ali ‘Phantom Punch’ myth was born!

Liston was a pretty bad junkie when he faced Clay/Ali, and in debt with his organised crime paymasters. Fight fixing was still quite common then … for someone as tough to get KO’d by a punch nobody actually saw raises questions.

The Ali win over Foreman was a great win; although based 99% on tactics than superior skills. Ali played mind games on Foreman from the start and basically allowed him to punch himself out … no easy task for sure, and worthy of respect. But not as if Ali used superior boxing skills to outbox and out punch him to do the job.

(Yep – I not an Ali fan)

Junkyard
    Free Member

do people think that you need a career defining fight like Ali Frazier , or Leonard Hearn

I do as the only way to be able to measures someones greatest is by them beating the best

If you dominate in a very weak era then your legacy will always be poorer than someone who dominates in a strong era because its easier to beat poorer fighter than better ones

Ali, like tyson, at their best looked unbeatable

ctk
    Free Member

RJJ looked unbeatable at his best. Then he went on a world tour of being knocked out!

Calazaghe’s record similar to Mayweathers and he beat some top boxers but is he in anyones top ten?

curiousyellow
    Free Member

If you dominate in a very weak era then your legacy will always be poorer than someone who dominates in a strong era

But then you have a sort of inflation over time as well. Like people are saying, a lot of Ali’s opponents were chumps too. Maybe in 10 years Tyson’s oppponents too will be elevated?

It’s very hard to take talk of fighters being born over a 100 years ago being best P4P seriously. Especially when there’s no footage of them. It’s like saying Hercules was the best ever. End of story.

Plus in the modern era anyone fighting over 100 fights would belong in a vegetable salad, not a boxing ring. Makes you think what happened to those poor bastards later in life and their opponents who’d have been in an ever more desperate position.

There are similar arguments made in all sports, I know, but with something as brutal as fighting you’d think you’d agree modern fighters face opponents in better condition.

DezB
    Free Member

If you dominate in a very weak era then your legacy will always be poorer than someone who dominates in a strong era because its easier to beat poorer fighter than better ones

Although Lennox seems to be seen as an all-time great for dominating in a poor era. He may have been, but god I hated his boxing style! So I’d never rate him “up there”. Give me Holyfield any day. Fantastic to watch.
    Ali & Tyson both lost some of their best years due to ahem unfortunate circumstances. We’ll never know how good they could’ve been in their absolute prime.
    *has picture of Ali on kitchen wall*

Garry_Lager

curiousyellow – Member

If you dominate in a very weak era then your legacy will always be poorer than someone who dominates in a strong era

But then you have a sort of inflation over time as well. Like people are saying, a lot of Ali’s opponents were chumps too. Maybe in 10 years Tyson’s oppponents too will be elevated?

It’s very hard to take talk of fighters being born over a 100 years ago being best P4P seriously. Especially when there’s no footage of them. It’s like saying Hercules was the best ever. End of story.It’s obv up to you how view a p4p list, there are no rules, but the golden age of boxing was pre-WW2. So I’d view fighters from that era as the pioneers who should always be ranked higher p4p. No one thinks today’s jazz musicians are better than Charlie Parker or Thelonious Monk, for example – objectively speaking they might be, the same way Lennox Lewis would rinse Joe Louis in a hypothetical matchup, but in context there’s no real comparison to who is greater.

DezB
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure a musical analogy doesn’t fit. And rating ALL?? pre-war boxers above post? Pure nostalgia if you ask me. But as I don’t do all time p4P ratings, you can do em how you like I suppose!

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Definitely pure nostalgia. They probably had much worse conditioning and nutrition for starters. It’s like saying Borg and McEnroe were the greatest ever when we have players like Federer and Nadal around.

Agree with you also about the comparison to music. If comparing pre WW2 fighters to modern fighters is apples to oranges, then music to boxing is apples to transistors!

Pigface
    Free Member

Kirkland Lang was a ridiculously talented boxer who never fulfilled his potential.

DezB
    Free Member

Certainly was. Mainly due beating Duran and going off the rails. That Duran fight was shown a few weeks back (BoxNation I think) – really boring fight!
    Unlike the Laing v Colin Jones bouts.

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve just paid for an ITV Box Office show! 😯

(Not Eubank v No-Hoper) – George Groves v Jamie Cox… suspect Groves will have rather too much for him, but Jamie’s a fiery one, so it’s gonna be a good fight. I guarantee it 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Worth a tenner, that lot. Good night of boxing

ctk
    Free Member

Just watched it free on youtube.
    Groves vs Eubank should be good.

DezB
    Free Member

What, the whole card? Blimey, quick work by someone getting that lot uploaded! John Ryder was a surprise eh?

Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘Golovkin v Alvarez’ is closed to new replies.