• This topic has 104 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 105 total)
  • Golovkin v Alvarez
  • DezB
    Free Member

aka Canelo v GGG… so, there’s a REAL fight on this weekend! Who’s tuning in?
    I’m already a BN subscriber, but this one has gotta be worth 17 of your pounds (especially if you chucked £20odd on that Mayweather farce!)

Who’s gonna win? I have a sneaking suspicion youth with favour the Mexican… GGG knows this is his legacy on the line .. but the punches he took from Kell Brook make me think Alvarez will be able to stop him late on. But is Alvarez fast enough?
    It’s a goodun!

muggomagic

I’ll be watching. Very much looking forward to it.
    My money’s on GGG between rounds 4-6.

Caher

GGG. Golovkin’s air of invincibility has waned recently as he has begun to show his age but I think it would take a Hagler-like monster to stop him.

DezB
    Free Member

My money’s on GGG between rounds 4-6

Wow, really? Interesting… I don’t think I’ve seen anyone get close to rocking Alvarez, let alone stop him!
    Noticed in photos today that Golovkin is quite a bit bigger, didn’t realise that.

Garry_Lager

GGG mid to late stoppage I reckon although it’s a tough one to pick. If it went 12 I’d think that would indicate Canelo had the tactical upperhand and would get the decision.

GGG looked a bit ordinary against Jacobs but I wouldn’t read much into that – seen it suggested that he was deliberately undercooking things just to coax Canelo out of hiding, which seems like a stretch, but regardless he was obv not super motivated which he will be at the weekend.

BoardinBob

GGG is a proper middleweight. First time Canelo will have fought a legit middleweight (with the exception of JCC Jr but he’s a joke). GGG has fought his entire career at MW. Canelo was a SLW to begin with.

Both pretty devastating body punchers but think GGG will have the edge. Too big, strong and experienced. Walks him down and gets a KO around the 6th.

muggomagic

I think GGG will win by KO/TKO I went for the 4-6 option as it was better odds. Also have GGG to win, and win by stoppage. Basically I’ve gone all in on GGG 😀

patriotpro
    Free Member

when’s it on Youtube

DezB
    Free Member

Guess I need to put some money on Alvarez then*!
    I still see the Brook fight as evidence of how easy GGG is to hit by someone with the skills. He was more troubled by Kell than he let on.

*nah, I don’t do betting

BoardinBob

it’ll be on allthebestfights.com pretty much straight away

joeydeacon
    Free Member

GGG is the bookies favourite, but has looked a bit more mortal in recent fights.. he’s easier to hit than Canelo IMO, if Kell hit harder (and was a bit bigger) then he’d have had a decent chance.

Tough to call, but due to age/slight weight advantage/slightly harder to hit, I’m going for late Canelo stoppage..

Hopefully a close fight, and the start of a trilogy though 🙂

BoardinBob

In his recent fights, GGG simply hasn’t cared about being hit. He’ll walk through anything.

duckman

GGG hits hard even for a middleweight(apparently)I think he will get the better of Canelo by 8, earlier is he tries to walk GGG down. Both of them to be pissing blood though!

DezB
    Free Member

Interesting first post linking to streaming info for the fight. Hmm.
    There is a Mayweather vid down the bottom if anyone’s interested (I’m not). (Even if he is right 🙂 )

tpbiker
    Free Member

Didn’t cotto’s brother wobble alvarez, or did I imagine that?

GGG got hit by Kel as he didn’t respect his power..see lemiux for how this will more likely go

If Alvarez can’t put away a shop worn never was who was severely weigh drained (chavez) then he isn’t stopping Golovkin

I’m going for a late GGG stoppage whilst behind on points. If it goes to cards expect a robbery.

DezB
    Free Member

GGG got hit by Kel as he didn’t respect his power..see lemiux for how this will more likely go

No way! GGG got hit by Kell cos he couldn’t see the combos! And Lemieux ain’t no Canelo. Although his knockout of Curtis Stevens was brutal.

Shiitt, wish I wasn’t reffing in the morning, I wanna watch it live!

muggomagic

Go to bed early and get up at 3am. Do not miss it!

tpbiker
    Free Member

No way! GGG got hit by Kell cos he couldn’t see the combos! And Lemieux ain’t no Canelo

I’m not sure about that. He definitely didn’t show much caution in his approach.

As for lemiux not being as good as canelo, I’d probably agree. But then again who has canelo beaten that’s top drawer? A faded cotto .. Not much else

Of course the same could be said for ggg. Both are highly rated, and I see why, but I have doubts over both. Ggg has never fought anyone who is top top class, and when alvarez did he got schooled. Jury is out on both Imo.

For that reason I’m leaning heavily towards ggg, he’s bigger, hits harder and can also box. He’ll also be hugely motivated given his legacy is on the line, he has much more to lose than alvarez.

Either way it’s great that we are getting a match up like this, a genuinely competitive bout between 2 pfp fighters. I’m convinced this won’t turn into the damp squid that usual big fights on ppv do.

On a side note.. Biggest fight in years Imo, and compared to the sham of a few weeks ago it’s barely been mentioned outside boxing fan circles.. Criminal.

ctk
    Free Member

See also Ward vs Kovalev.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Good point.. Forgot about those fights..

That said ward still managed to to turn both into not very exciting affairs.. He’s just dull dull dull..

And also a bit cheaty. Definitely looking forward to this one alot more.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Great fight and very hard to call with it being easy to make a good case for both fighters

Whatever happens its a proper boxing match

GGG just

mikey3
    Free Member

I’m interested in watching billy joe saunders fight the same night aswell(maybe because I can actually watch it without paying:),be interesting to see how he performs after not fighting for what seems like forever,against a decent opponent too.

mooman
    Free Member

Tough one to call really; lots of ifs & buts about both their last opponents.

I will put my neck out and go for a 6th rnd KO for GGG. Canelo has enjoyed a sizeable weight advantage over most of his opponents, and he isn’t a huge puncher (don’t tell Amir Khan) but a superb counter puncher.

GGG KO’s Canelo after being behind on all score cards.

leegee

Unsure on this, Alvarez and De La Hoya must have seen something to take this fight now after avoiding it previously. For this reason I want Golovkin to win.

I don’t think Golovkin can get a decision and he knows that so he looks for the KO, and maybe tires? so Alvarez on points for me

Rigodeaux Vs Lomachenko has been agreed which has come too late for Rigo and just looks like a payday for him. he’s been reluctant to move up in the past but suddenly jumps two divisions to fight someone equally skilled, more offensive, younger and larger. Only one outcome unfortunately

BoardinBob

De La Hoya must have seen something

DLH is off his box these days with some of his predictions

mooman
    Free Member

I dont really think ODLH has seen anything in GGG that he thinks Canelo can exploit - I think its a case of taking the big money now before it disappears. GGG is the biggest money spinner out there for Canelo. GGG seems to be showing signs of aging and Canelo doesnt look to be getting any better; if either one of them loses, then there really isn`t anybody out there who will generate as big a pay day.

DezB
    Free Member

Some decent action on ITV4 too! Callum Smith headlining.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Good big man beats the good small man always. GGG by TKO.

pondo

Bit surprised to hear Canelo gets the bigger purse.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Good big man beats the good small man always. GGG by TKO.

Trying to think of examples when that hasn’t been the case..And I can’t think of any!

Plenty of examples of a better small fighter taking on a bigger man and winning, but when they are so evenly matched skills wise I think you’ve just swayed me more towards GGG. You could argue manny vs cotto, or ward vs kovalev, but in both those examples i’d say that skills wise both manny and ward were at a significant advantage.

Previous examples of great fighters moving up to fight other great fighters doesn’t usually end well, i’m thinking trinidad and delahoya. Futher back duran vs hearns, and hearns vs hagler…big guy always wins.

Awaits someone pointing out that the much smaller mayweather beat that boxing genius mcgregor only the other week…;-)

dyls

Ray Leonard beat Hagler
    Mayweathet beat dela hoya

tpbiker
    Free Member

Ray Leonard beat Hagler
    Mayweathet beat dela hoya

They did, and good examples..

But I’d argue that both the former are in my top 20 pfp of all time, where as hagler and dela hoya, whilst great fighters, weren’t quite at that level.

That said, possibly more than a hint of hindsight there, leonard’s standing benefits hugely because of that win.

Pigface
    Free Member

I still think Hagler won that fight.

Caher

Hagler ‘not at that level’? Surely you jest?

tpbiker
    Free Member

Hagler was phenomenal, make no mistake. I can see why you take issue with my comment!

I don’t think he rates as high as leonard p4p however. Leonard for me is top 10 of all time. hagler is top 30. Which is still pretty damn good, and I’ll admit that saying ‘not at that level’ does him an injustice.

He was right at the top of the game though, top 3 middleweight of all time no doubt.

muggomagic

Spoilers below
    And they said Mayweather v McGregor made a mockery of boxing. Can’t believe 1 judge could score it 10 rounds to 2 for Canelo.
    Saw again tonight that GGG is terminator 2

Pigface
    Free Member

That is a strange score card, a lot of people very unhappy.

muggomagic

I’d like to say it’s unbelievable but it’s not. Seems that any time a big fight goes the distance we get these ridiculous decisions. If it was a round or 2 in Canelo’s favour then maybe just maybe I could buy that but 10 – 2. Shocking.
    Even the Mexicans were booing.

mooman
    Free Member

Boxing has a habit of shooting itself in the foot at the worse time … so close after the Mayweather v mcGregor farce makes it just look like a circus.

tpbiker – Member

I don’t think he (Hagler) rates as high as leonard p4p however. Leonard for me is top 10 of all time. hagler is top 30.

He (Hagler) was right at the top of the game though, top 3 middleweight of all time no doubt.

What middleweights would you rate higher than Hagler then? And who is in your P4P top 10 of all time? Bit strange having Hagler 3rd best middle – but only just making the top 30 all time.

DezB
    Free Member

Good fight, but not a great one. I had GGG winning by 2 points, but did score 4 rounds even, couldve been scored either way, obviously.
    But GGG won it on stamina, work rate and a solid chin. Wasn’t too big or too powerful for Canelo, which must’ve surprised a few 🙂

When the hell are they going to sack incompetent judges!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘Golovkin v Alvarez’ is closed to new replies.