Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Golf – Olympic sport?
  • wors

what do you think?

BlingBling
    Free Member

There are worse events tbh

donald
    Free Member

The Olympics is a grotesquely over-inflated event that has grown out of all control. Nobody can afford to host it and it leaves each host venue with a legacy of expensive under-used facilities.

It should be radically pruned.

All sports that don't have the Olympics as their most prestigious event should be dropped. That's things like golf, tennis, football. Maybe road cycling too.

I'd also drop any event that has a judge giving scores. If you can't measure it then it's out. Higher, faster, stronger yes – prettier no. This gets rid of gymnastics, synchronised swimming, diving etc.

Then I'd get rid of the 50k walk – just because.

colnagokid

its not a sport its a game, I agree with Donald

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I don't see why it shouldn't be – I would rather golf be in than posh women jumping around on horses. And those ufcking dancing horses – don't even get me on to those…

druidh
    Free Member

At least golf meets donalds rules (which I agree with). Sport has nothing to do with "style". That makes golf a sport and not a "game"?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Golf's not a sport. It's something to do while you wait to die.

You might aswell have olympics darts and snooker.

IanMunro
    Free Member

So important, I said it twice 🙂

higgo
    Free Member

Golf is a game. They are the Olympic Games. I say let it in. Along with British Bulldog.

grahamh
    Free Member
    convert

For me for something to be a sport you have to be able to measure it(faster, higher, stronger, further etc), you have to sweat doing it and doing it well whilst wearing jeans is impossible.

One-on-one competitive sports just don't seem right for the Olympics to me – but that is probably just me. Sports like tennis which are knock out and how far you progress has some degree of luck as to who you are paired up against don't seem quite as "pure" as sports where your time/ distance/weight etc are just compared en mass.

Not sure where that leaves Golf but I agree with previous posts that if an Olympic Gold is not the pinnacle of a sport's glory it should not be in.

finbar
    Free Member

Any "sport" in which your ability to compete isn't impaired by wearing ordinary trousers and a belt should not be part of the Olympics.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I agree that the Olympics is grossly bloated with events that have no or rather tangental athletic content, that seem to be included soley for the amusement of KFC bargin bucket clenching 'spectators'.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Sports like tennis which are knock out and how far you progress has some degree of luck

Do you really think that? If so, how does that differ from any other event where there are heats? How far a competitor progresses will depend on who they are up against.

convert

I know, its a grey area I admit. But in quite a lot of events with heats there are fastest looser spots so invariably the fastest 8 times make it through to the final. In swimming it is all fastest times that count – i.e. all 8 competitors that makes it to the final of a swim race could all come from one semi final. I guess in land based events where weather plays a bigger part that probably would not work too well.

Ewan
    Free Member

Anything that doesn't leave a resonably fit person out of breathe isn't a sport. E.g. Golf, chess, etc.

Womens boxing is just wrong as well.

lorettocourt
    Free Member

You wouldn't believe the amount of times this question/debate/argument (delete as applicable) comes up at my work – half the watch are golfers and the other half cyclists. The cyclists say that golf is a game or pastime and a waste of time and the golfers see cycling as pointless exercise that you get hurt doing and waste a load of money on – not to mention the usual crap about road tax etc.

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

What next – Elephant Polo ?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Golf, riveting. Olympic golf, even more riveting. Can't wait.

bruk

Golf was behind Karate in the initial vote so I suspect that the Rugby 7's will probably eventually be the sport selected.

However it does show that the Olympics is all about the money. Both sports have a large and vocal sponsors list behind them. What about squash etc. More gladiatorial like I believe Olympic sports should be.

I still think that golf is a good walk ruined and dislike the way large areas of desert etc in the states are expensively watered and pruned so some business idiot can show off his bad dress sense.

richpips
    Free Member

Golf is undeniably a game of skill which a large proportion of the public play and will watch on television, so commercially it's a goer. Not my cuppa though.

No golf. It's already got enough high profile/lucrative events of its own. Same applies to tennis and football – get rid of them from the Olympics as well.

Don't really see the point in having the horsey events in there.

I can see merit in the argument that sports that require judging like gymnastics and diving shouldn't be in there either, but they're a big part of the Games and a lot of them are quite exciting to watch (e.g. vaulting and high dive).

bruk

Could be argued that horsey events hark back to original olympics with horseriding being an important warrior skill.

Still we often do well at horsey events so lets keep it!

Don't ride but can appreciate the skill involved in getting a horse to do dressage and if you have ever walked round a cross country course and seen the fences up close you would be terrified about trying to jump them!

Agree re Football, (it's not the pinnacle of the sport and they don't even have all the top players taking part, Tennis maybe less so as people like Nadal and Federer do seem to take it pretty seriously but it is not the highlight of a player's career in most cases.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Womens boxing is just wrong as well.

Why?

Ewan
    Free Member

Well, mens boxing is pretty nasty, but there's no way that'll ever stop, at least womens boxing is an immature sport so theres a chance it'll die out gracefully.

epicyclo

Golf as an Olympic sport is no dafter than an Olympic mtb race in Essex.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Well, mens boxing is pretty nasty, but there's no way that'll ever stop, at least womens boxing is an immature sport so theres a chance it'll die out gracefully.

So you don't think women's boxing is any more 'wrong' than men's boxing, but as it isn't as established it shouldn't be allowed to be ratified as an Olympic Sport? Your beef isn't with women boxing, it is with boxing? Yes?

CaptJon
    Free Member

Can we cull some of the swimming?

jumping_flea
    Free Member

I can't believe that Squash didn't get in and that golf and rugby 7's did.

I've been playing squash for years and seen it slowly decline in the uk – even though we have some of the best players in the world. It is a sport like this that can appeal to everyone that surely should have got the vote.

This would have injected some cash/life blood into the game towards 2016. There are way too many niche sports in the olympics now and sports with loads of different categories that have pushed the likes of squash out.

ffs – pistol shooting etc???

Starrman28
    Free Member

Any game that you can smoke whilst participating i.e. golf isn't an Olympic sport. I'd rather see singing in the Olympics.

avdave2

Yes CaptJon get rid of some of that swimming nonsense. All races should be freestyle, what is the point of a race in which you are forced into using a technique that is not the optimum for getting from the beginning to the end in the fastest possible time? If we have backstroke in the swimming why don't we have a 100m run backwards.

convert

My problem with swimming (even as a swimming fan)is the fact that there are so many evens that are similar enough that it is possible for athletes to enter so many events and be competative in each. You can't imagine anyone, no matter how talented, being able to medal in 8 athletics events like Phelps did last year.

Pembo
    Free Member

Could be argued that horsey events hark back to original olympics with horseriding being an important warrior skill.

Still we often do well at horsey events so lets keep it!

Don't ride but can appreciate the skill involved in getting a horse to do dressage and if you have ever walked round a cross country course and seen the fences up close you would be terrified about trying to jump them!

Problem with equestrian events is if you can afford to spend 6 figures on a horse you can go straight into a very high standard, you still have to be a bloody good rider though but it doesn't qute fit with the Olympic spirit.

midlifecrashes

An argument for golf

Ewan
    Free Member

So you don't think women's boxing is any more 'wrong' than men's boxing, but as it isn't as established it shouldn't be allowed to be ratified as an Olympic Sport? Your beef isn't with women boxing, it is with boxing? Yes?

Yes. I think women's boxing is just as wrong as male boxing. They're both blood sports.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Jon Daly – Golfer and professional sportsman

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yes. I think women's boxing is just as wrong as male boxing. They're both blood sports.

Then fair enough – you are entitled to that opinion and I wouldn't try to argue with it. It is those that say women shouldn't be allowed to box but men should that I cannot understand.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Golf – Olympic sport?’ is closed to new replies.