• This topic has 39 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Dobbo.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Golf GTD – Leon FR – Focus S
  • lowey

Been offered one of the above as a company car. Anyone got any experience of them ?

I’m erring on the side of the Golf at the moment but would welcome your opinions. Only these three on offer so no suggestions for others please.

Many thanks.

richmtb

If there is no difference in cost I’d take the Golf. Nicer place to be than the other ones.

haggis1978

Wife has MK6 GTD. Awesome car. Better built than the others. Fair enough the Seat is made by VW but it is a cheaper car for a reason.

passtherizla
    Free Member

As other have said . Get the golf if there is no financial difference. The latest Leon is very very nice though and well worth a look FR has some trick suspension too, GTD has a electronic diff.

hora
    Free Member

Golf by miles and Im not a Vadge-fanboi. Latest Leon just says awkward wanbabe Golf.

Focus?!

davosaurusrex

I had a mk6 golf company car, borrowed a colleague’s new Leon fr the other day and the older golf had a nicer interior. So defo mk7 golf, gtd is a cracking car

joolsburger
    Free Member

You should drive the golf and leon. When I compared the Mii and the Up! I found the seat was much better spec, I prefered the look and the sound system was much better too however the VW has the badge which is important to some. VW just seems badge more than actual quality.

nickswolves
    Free Member

I chose the Mk7 Golf GTD over the Leon FR mainly because both the interior and exterior are of a better quality and it just looks better. I went for the Carbon Grey colour which looks awesome too. Yes the Leon is probably better value for money but the Golf is a step up IMO. No regrets from me.

PS. It is a company car though, so money was less of an issue.

Drac

Mk VII GTD is superb they’ve really brought the quality right back I’m tempted to order one for my next car.

easygirl

Had a golf gtd for 6 months, sold it because it was a boring drive. Good m.p.g but a potato of a car

Drac

Interesting as 2 colleagues have one and they describe them as great fun to drive.

lowey

Company car so not really to significant on the P11….

Not feeling much love for the Focus…. a friend has one and says its the best chassis he had ever driven.

Test drive required I think.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

tinybits
    Free Member

I’ve got a golf GT MK7, I do about 20k a year on B roads and I’ve got to say, it’s a bloody peach. Comfortable and rapid, handles well, quiet and decent economy. I’ll be swapping for a GTD in the near future, but I’ll spec a satnav and uprated sound system. Why the GTD instead? I’m immature and grin when I overtake things, and with another 30bhp and some more torques, it’ll fly.

samuri
    Free Member

Focuses do drive very nice. Great handling cars but I’d still go for the Golf.

momo

I’ve got a mkVI Golf GTD (private car not company), father in law has a new Focus (company car – not sure which variant). His has lots of toys but the interior quality doesn’t feel up to that of my 4 year old golf. The new GTD has a lot more toys as standard than mine does. His focus is more economic than my golf, but it’s not a straight comparison, his is not the fast engine and is also a manual (mine is DSG – honest john puts this about 5mpg down against the manual)

I bought the golf after driving a Clio 172 cup for 2 years, I wanted something that would be more economical and a nicer place to be (I cover about 20k per year, combination of work mileage and driving to lakes/peak/wales etc), ex GF had the Octavia VRS and while I liked the drive I wasn’t sold on the interior. The Seat always felt rather cheap inside, I really don’t like the mood lighting in the latest model (friend had one as company car)

andytherocketeer

not so keen on the latest styling of the Leon. but then I said that when the Mk2 came out too, and now that kind of looks better than my Mk1.

Last Focus I had was very uncomfortable, but that may have been due to being bottom of the range spongey seats version for the rental car, rather then the firm sporty Leon seats I’m used to.

I’d get the Golf. Actually I’d get an Octavia.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Go and drive them all, its the only way.

Golf will be the best overall package but the most dull to drive because quite simply its a VW.

The new Leon is quite nice inside and drives quite nicely, not sure what the trick suspension is thats mentioned above but hay..

Personally I dont like the Focus.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

As Andy says above, what about the Octavia vRS diesel.

Similar priced to the cars on your list but better spec and larger for carrying bikes.

Just ordered mine as my new company car

SludgeJudge

I’ve got a new Leon FR 2.0TDI (150) which was an ex-demo with loads of extras and am pretty happy with it. What’s good : free revving engine with plenty of torque, great exterior styling with full LED lights, smooth ride even with 18″ alloys, good handling, very comfortable, practical, good economy (55+mpg) and cheap main dealer servicing. What’s bad : interior is pretty boring and although overall quality is OK there’s a fair amount of cheap plastic at lower levels, would have preferred the 184 engine (which has the multi-link rear suspension) but wasn’t available at the time.

Could have had a Golf GTD company car but it would have been standard spec without sat nav, leather, heated seats etc. I’m pleased with my choice but considering trading up to a mark 7 Golf GTi later in the year…

jeffm
    Free Member

I have a golf gtd. great car.

_tom_
    Free Member

I’ve been car shopping for basically the same cars but just the less sporty versions. Going for a Golf, just felt the nicest out of them and most solid. The focus felt really cheap and plasticcy, not nice. I wanted to like it as I prefer their looks but I spend too much time in a car to have a subpar interior.

passtherizla
    Free Member

easygirl – Member
    Had a golf gtd for 6 months, sold it because it was a boring drive. Good m.p.g but a potato of a car
    POSTED 10 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Must’ve had some pretty exciting cars then… I’ve had a few, and though the golf gtd was far from boring, slightly disconnected maybe but still goes round corners at silly speeds.

lowey

Because it isnt on the available list to me.

toby1

Because it isnt on the available list to me.

The Godwins law of car posts? Despite the choice being made clear in the original post, it always descends to an Octy VRS!

easygirl

[Must’ve had some pretty exciting cars then… I’ve had a few, and though the golf gtd was far from boring, slightly disconnected maybe but still goes round corners at silly speeds.

I have always had fast sports cars, and maybe that’s why I didn’t get on with the GTD, in fairness it was fairly quick, and nice inside, but the handling was far too neutral, no excitement at all for me.
    Was a good chassis I will agree, but not a sporty drive by any stretch of the imagination

passtherizla
    Free Member

To clarify that meant I’ve had a few quick cars. And tested a GtD but plumbed for the passat as I needed space 🙁

What you had? Genuine interest. Loved my type r’s.

bigG
    Free Member

Get the Golf because if you don’t you’ll just look longingly at them from your Seat / Focus etc,,

They are a good place to spend time if you’re doing a lot of miles.

None of the above are real performance cars so don’t listen to the nay sayers that tell you “it’s a crap drive”. If you’re driving fast enough on UK roads to find the handling limits of the Golf, you’re driving too fast.

numbnut
    Free Member

As a car to live with day-to-day it has to be the Golf.
    Try and spec the Dynaudio upgrade if you can 8)

BTW I had a mk6 GTD and have had a number of vRS’s and if space isn’t the major requirement I would choose the GTD without doubt.

Or put it another way, if you were going out on a date with a hot girl, which one would you like to pull up in? 😉

gonefishin
    Free Member

Get the Golf because if you don’t you’ll just look longingly at them from your Seat / Focus etc,,

I have to say that that’s not been an issue for me in the last 12 years or so of owning a Focus. In fact I prefer the look and drive of the Focus but that is probably because that’s what I’m used to. The main reason I stuck to Fords in the past was the heated front screen but that is available on other brands now too.

lowey

Finally the GTD arrived. Very happy with the choice. Stunning car.

Drac

Ordering mine soon but I can have it within 2 weeks all being well.

😀

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Good choice. Leon FRs (especially the diesels) seem to be driven by angry 30/40-somethings in suits.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Octavia vRS

Boom boom boom. (If you don’t know what I mean now, you soon will.)

Unless they’ve fixed it. Which they haven’t.

Avoid.

Get the Golf. Why wouldn’t you?

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

oh, just saw

Finally the GTD arrived. Very happy with the choice. Stunning car.

Good boy.

Drac

Now I’ve found out they’re doing the Golf R 2.0 on a special deal. 😐

v666ern
    Free Member

Ignore the Eco button, mine makes 42mpg driving in normal makes 49mpg
    I shall be looking at the estate gtd in the summer…

Drac

You’re GTD gets 42MPG? 😯

King-ocelot
    Free Member

If your under 30 the Seat, 30-50 the golf, 50+ the focus.

v666ern
    Free Member

Yarp,
    30mile dual carriageway and 2 mile town commute. ACC set to 85mph, acc is brilliant!

I know speeding isn’t clever, not bragging just giving context to my mpg. Besides if you wanted to do mega mpg why buy a car with sport mode?!

Dobbo

I’ve got a golf GTD company car, had it just under a year and it’s a brilliant car, nice and pokey, high spec interior. The adaptive cruise control and self parking are good features.

I stay in eco most of the time, although I’ve been in sport for the last few weeks because it sounds good and accelerates hard! I only do low mileage, all private milage, so I pay for fuel, I don’t know why they give me a car TBH :-))

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Golf GTD – Leon FR – Focus S’ is closed to new replies.