• This topic has 13 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Taff.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Golf
  • jon1973
    Free Member

I have the opportunity to join a nice club, very cheaply through work, and thought I’d like to give it a try. It terms of clubs, what are the essentials to get you started? What’s a reasonable amont to spend?

Pigface
    Free Member

Please don’t

john-charles
    Free Member

Get a starter set for no more than a couple hundred quid, see if you like it and then upgrade from there according to how you develop. Use any other money you have on lessons (don’t listen to ‘expert’ mates unless they play off scratch)

ocrider

G*** 🙄

Which slacks for mincing down the fairyways?

Houns

It’s very similar to biking, go to your local pro shop and chat to them, look out for second hand sets

And don’t listen to those that like to slag it off, it’s a great game

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Oh the shame of it.
    Normally not something one admits to in public.
    And if you think cycling fashionista are bad you are in for a real treat!

RustySpanner

Golf is very similar to cycling – lots of people who think the best kit is the be all and end all, stupid clothes, ridiculous expense and loads of bragging at the bar afterward.

And Audis. Lots of Audis. 😀

kerv
    Free Member

Spend the money on a bike.

jon1973
    Free Member

I have 3 bikes, none of which I’ve spent a fortune on. I’ve had them for years, and spend most of my free time riding. I have all the bikes I need. Just looking for something different. I’ve never bought in to ‘the more you spend, the better you are’ philosophy.

I don’t have an Audi either, although I do shop in Aldi, if that counts.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Get a golf (a tenner).

Consider a nice pair of shoes if you want.

Regarding clubs, think about maybe a half set of clubs – you’re not going to be needing to worry about the merits of a 5 irons versus a 6 iron…

And enjoy your time on the course!

GJP
    Free Member

Some people at work raved about these things, otherwise get down to American golf and ask about high handicap irons.

2nd Hand Golf Clubs

Taff
    Free Member

Bought a set off eBay for £30. Went to buy another set for the bag a week later and I on ly paid £10. shoes are important eape illy in this weather. Get some lake balls and some decent tees. Don’t worry about drivers just focus on using irons

LeeW

Don’t bother buying a starter set new, try and get a second hand set.

Don’t buy a carry bag buy a cheap trolly or hire one at the club. If you do buy a carry bag, use both shoulder straps when carrying.

Buy the comfiest shoes you can afford. You’re going to be walking around in them for a while.

Invest in lessons, don’t bother with ‘video’ lessons, they’re a waste unless you happen to swing the club the same way as their model.

Go and play on a municiple course before you join a proper course. Take cheap balls, lake balls if you can (they’re half decent second hand).

As said before ignore everyone’s advice, unless they’re cat1.

Taff
    Free Member

Trolley is good but in this weather any decent course won’t let you on unless you have spiked wheels. Sefl tought myself from videos which was a mistake as I’ve got very bad habits. Definately listen to LeeW

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Golf’ is closed to new replies.