Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Going Tubeless with DT Swiss 4.2 rims and Mud X tyres?
  • Clembo
    Free Member

Tubless gurus…..

Do I need to use the DT Swiss tubless conversion kit (expensive) on their rims with Bonty Mud Xs or could I just use say a Stans strip, valve and sealant?

I’ve had conflicting advice so far!

Clembo
    Free Member

Bump

Anyone?

poppa
    Free Member

Looks like Stans is OK:

http://www.notubes.com/support_selecting.php

DT 4.1 / 4.2
    Remove rim tape and install 1 or 2 layers of included Universal Kit Tape, pull the tape tightly while applying and overlap 2″. Carefully cut a hole for the valve stem. On these Rims you should drop your rim strip into your soap and water before installing. The slippery soap will help it fit in the rim cavity.

r5
    Free Member

Ghetto tubeless using Schwalbe BMX inner tubes worked well for me, on DT EX1750’s with Mud X tyres.

I gave the rim a couple of wraps of insulating tape first, used plenty of soapy water on the tyres, think they were a little tight though!

wwaswas

I’ve used Joe’s narrow strips with that rim/tyre combo with no problem.

fattatlasses
    Free Member

My wifes bike has got 4.2 rims fitted with Stan’s yellow tape & rubber rimstrip. In winter she prefers Mud-X’s, which were OK on her old wheels (muggins gets the job of tyre swap-overs 😕 ) However, last year, after breaking two tyre levers, I gave up and put folding Maxxis Minions on – which went on & inflated fairly easily.

TBH, I’ve had very mixed success with this rim/rimstrip combo., and from my experience, if I was starting from scratch, I’d go with the DT system.

With the 4.2s I’ve found some tyres, like non-UST Specialized fit & inflate easily, Bontrager MudX’s and XR4’s were too tight to fit. Kendas were way too baggy and wouldn’t inflate. Maxxis seems OK. I’ve also got a Bontrager wheelset fitted with Bonty plastic rimstrips, that I think are v.similar to the DT ones, and these have been very good so far. Because the plastic is stiffer, the rimstrip doesn’t seem to get disturbed as easily when switching over tyres – and its very easy to fit in the first place. The Stan’s rimstrips don’t seem to suit these rims as well as others – maybe it’s the internal profile of the 4.2(?).

FWIW, I’m not a Stan’s ‘hater’ and run ’em on 3 other wheelsets with no probs at all. I think your main problem with the 4.2’s and MudX will be getting the super-tight beads onto the rim (I even bent a metal tyres lever trying).

Hope this helps….and good luck.

br
    Free Member

However, last year, after breaking two tyre levers, I gave up and put folding Maxxis Minions on – which went on & inflated fairly easily.

Stronger tyre levers?

fattatlasses
    Free Member

Stronger tyre levers?

After breaking 2 plastic ones, I tried an old metal lever, but just ended up scratching the rim and bending the lever!

TBH, with long steel levers, it might have gone, but the amount of force would have probably folded the edge of the rim. Maybe the Mud X’s I’d got were tight examples, ‘cos can’t remember them being that quite that bad on other rims.

Clembo
    Free Member

Cheers for info guys. So it looks like I could use Stans kit but the DT kit is probably the way to go. Roughly £60 for both wheels. Kit on CRC says it has a “starter” bottle of sealant. I assume that means enough for first installation but no top up after.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

I’ve got the DT kits and hate them- the strips aren’t particularly tough and the rims are too tight with them on.

I’ve run ghetto and Bontrager rim strips in the past (which are both much cheaper options)

fattatlasses
    Free Member

I’ve run ghetto and Bontrager rim strips in the past (which are both much cheaper options)

Soz if this confuses things, but yeah, might be an idea to give ghetto a try – esp. given the cost of the DT and Stans kits. Compared the Bontrager rimstrips and sealant, both of the latter are a bit of a rip-off IMO. I think I paid less than £20 for two Bonty rimstrips, valves and decent sized bottle of sealant. Dunno if you can get Bonty rimstrips that are compatible with 4.2 rims though?

steve_b77
    Free Member

I reckon you may well have had a super tight set of Mud X’s there as i can get mine on and off with my fingers.

fattatlasses
    Free Member

I reckon you may well have had a super tight set of Mud X’s there as i can get mine on and off with my fingers.

Just out of interest, are you running them on 4.2 rims?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Going Tubeless with DT Swiss 4.2 rims and Mud X tyres?’ is closed to new replies.