Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Going tubeless with DT EX500 rims- easy?
  • hora
    Free Member

With the DT kit is it easy? I tried Ghetto and gave up 😆

ben1979
    Free Member

I use the stans kit, you must add one layer of 17mm cloth rim tape ontop of the standard rim tape though otherwise they are an ass to get tires on, i use non tubeless Michelin Mountain X’tremes and they have been fine

smuttiesmith
    Free Member

One wrap of stans yellow tape and using UST tyres has seen me right. No burps or anything.

Simon

I’ve done it with DT Swiss rim strips and Spesh Eskar 2bliss tyres, and No Flats Schrader valves ‘cos I’d already drilled out the valve holes.
    The tyres were very tight going on, but once on the rims they inflated easily with a track pump.

This was back in March I think, no punctures since or any problems to report. Riding in this time has included loads of local rocky trails, Ae Avalanche Enduro and most of the Brownbcks series. back tyre is now looking fairly worn.

Only thing I would say is I got the rimstrips secondhand for £12 (for the pair), the RRP is a bit steep IMO. And I dread getting a puncture whilst out and about with the tyre being so hard to get onto the rims!

Garry_Lager

I would say no. I’m a long time UST user, and in a moment of foolishness decided to get a rear wheel built on a DT ex500, with the rim strip, just because I had a 36 hole hub lying about. Terrible experience – it’s very tough to mount the tyres (taking them off is actually toughest), but you do actually get good at this after breaking 8 tyre levers.
    Seating the tyre is the big problem – it was life and death with a track pump, thought I was going to have a coronary. I’m talking about UST tyres that my kid sister could put on an 819.

On the plus side, I now understand why some people have such a hard time with tubeless. Something that was always impenetrable to me using UST.

Built 819s are going for bargain prices on the bay at the moment it seems, just bought and sold a couple. Don’t know if it’s with winter coming or what.

Muzzy
    Free Member

I’ve used DT rim strip kit with no problems at all. Depending on which tyre you use, you may need CO2 cannister for initial seating of tyre. Maxxis Ardent (non UST) no problem with track pump. Getting tyre on for first time can be a struggle – but subsequent removal/refitting much easier. I’ve used non-UST folding Ardents and Minions all season with no punctures. Variety of rocky natural scottish riding as well as trail centres.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Going tubeless with DT EX500 rims- easy?’ is closed to new replies.