Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Going tubeless with crest rims
  • dougieb
    Free Member

Ok, so I’ve been a long time convert to tubeless set ups, both with stans rim strips and the ghetto method. However, I’ve recently bought a set of hope hoops with the crest rims and having issues with the tyre blowing completely off the rim at 35-40 psi whilst trying to seal. The second time I had the latex in and it made one hell of a mess of the kitchen. Tyre is a maxxis advantage 2.25 and I’m just using one layer of the yellow tape on the rim bed (no rim strip). Anybody know what I’m doing wrong ?

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Try a different tyre or some more tape.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Did you use the correct width tape? And did you pull it reaally tight when fitting it? You should get a bit of a sweat on when fitting it properly. It shouldn’t sit on the bead hook

dougieb
    Free Member

Did use the correct width and pulled pretty tight, but the tape does ride up a bit on sidewall under the bead in places. Think I’ll try fitting the tape again

Inflating the tyre was pretty easy so not sure I need any thicker tape. Being honest I’m going to be nervous when riding the first few times given how the tyre has blown completely free of the rim twice.

M6TTF
    Free Member

The tape will go up the sides slightly, mine did – I used bonty tubeless ready tyres though so maybe they hook on easier. Having said that I used an ardent 2.25 on my 29er on an arch rim without any bother.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Its the tyre. My advantage was ok for a bit, then I guess the bead stretched, because it became noticeably baggier and wouldn’t stay on my flow or crest. After rolling it off the front twice and getting away with it, I decided it was only going to end in pain and bloodshed and put something else on instead.

audiophile
    Free Member

Rub some of the anodising glaze off with a washing up scourer before fitting the tape, worked for me when I had similar problems.

dougieb
    Free Member

I did think it might have been the bead on the tyre and it is a little bit on the baggy side. I’ll try refitting the tape after rubbing down with a scotch pad. If it pops off again then time to fine a new tyre I think. Just need to start another “What tyre thread” first 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Going tubeless with crest rims’ is closed to new replies.