Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Going tubeless, which kit??
  • carlos
    Free Member

Evening All,

Couple of questions on going tubeless using Stans Flow EX rims.

Can I run standard Nevegals with a Stans kit? Goggling seems to suggest you can but with a few issues and not a great result straight away, needs a couple of rides to settle and seal. Any one got experience of this?

Which Stans kit will I need, I take it the Flow specific one is best option?
    Where is cheapest for the kits? Currently found £53 for the Flow kit

Cheers
    Carl

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Yellow tape and spesh tyres carl – piece of piss and better than nevergrips

carlos
    Free Member

Rob, they all seem to come with like a half innertube/valve thing & yellow tape, you got any links?

I like the Nevergrips 🙂

rob-jackson
    Free Member

No need for the rubber strips, just yellow take and valves

stevede
    Free Member

You don’t need a kit, a roll of yellow 25mm stans tape and a pair of valves from superstar. Can’t comment on your specific tyres tubeless (only used once, which was enough!)

stevede
    Free Member

The stans rubber rim strips are for non tubeless ready rims not their own (i use them on my mavic en521’s)

tmb467
    Free Member

Gorilla tape and the valve from the old tube you’re replacing

wahoomcgoo
    Free Member

+1 for gorilla tape + superstar valves.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Ghetto tubeless and Stans.

Working well for me. Probably works out a fiver a wheel.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

18£ at mcconvey cycles. Never used them before.

grum
    Free Member

Just posted this on another thread but standard electrical tape worked fine for me in place of the yellow tape.

philbert31
    Free Member

Thread hijack but… I have some Alex rims that came with my bike, anyone have any experience on converting them to tubeless? I’m looking to upgrade to flows in a few months but would like to give tubeless a go first.

Ta

Phil

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Yes had Alex rims on my pitch, they are 2mm narrower than the kit at 17mm so they come out of the rim very very slightly but it works with no problems. You will need to use a decent compressor first time as the kit needs to mould to the rim.

solman
    Free Member

Hey Carlos,

I’ve got flow rims and I had the same question. Yes you can buy rimstrips for flows from stans, however, they are only necessary if you’re not using tubeless ready or ust tyres. Or if the tyres are loose and likely to burp air.

If you have tubeless/ust tyres then the yellow tape and valves will do fine. I’ve got mine with a set of xr4s fitted. Never had a problem.

philbert31
    Free Member

Pitch pro, thanks for that, I’ve got a compressor so i think i’ll be getting a kit soon!

carlos
    Free Member

Cheers All.

Ordered rim strip and valves off Superstar and will get propper Stans Fluid from the shop.

Going to stick with my Nevegals for now, apparently it’ll work Ok according to (more) internet searching

Carl

Northwind

Electric tape works fine but is a wee bit easier to damage when changing tyres. Standard Nevegals work well tubeless, though can be a wee bit irritating to get onto the beads as they have a fairly flexible sidewall and bead.

solman – Member

Hey Carlos,

Yes you can buy rimstrips for flows from stans, however, they are only necessary if you’re not using tubeless ready or ust tyres.

Even then they’re rarely needed, as long as you’re using decent tyres.

carlos
    Free Member

Doh!!! Meant tape (the yellow stuff) not strip (like a cut down tube) 😳

Picking up wheels tomorrow so will have a go at fitting before work

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Going tubeless, which kit??’ is closed to new replies.