Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Going tubeless on trek remedy 8 (May seem like a stupid question)
  • cabbage84
    Free Member

Hi all just bought myself a trek remedy 8 and know that it comes with tubeless ready wheels and tubeless tyres.
    The question im asking is, is it just a case of taking out the tube thats in and putting a tubeless valve in its place then pumping the tyre up or is there something else I need to do.
    Sorry if this seems like a stupid question

swiss
    Free Member

just stick some sealant in the tyre first, some stans works well i have found.

cabbage84
    Free Member

Thanks

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

With the Rhythm wheels you need a rim strip as well as sealant.

Burls72
    Free Member

It will be running bontrager tyres so you'll have to use some jra wheel milk/joes/bontrager/stans liquid latex to seal up the sidewalls as bontrager tubeless ready tyres need this to become a full tubeless set up. Stans/joes syastems use the same liquid latex and a rubber strip to make the rim tubeless and the mavic ust system can be used without juice just like your car tyres but people sometimes put some form of liquid latex in just in case they pick up a thorn and that way they won't get a flat.

Tubeless ready tyres generally mean thicker side walls and a better sealing bead. Tubeless rims are air tight if used with ust tyres or normal/tubeless ready tyres and liquid latex. All seems a bit complex to start with but it's straight forward once you understand the different systems.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

You will need the symmetric rim strips from Bontrager for the Rhythm wheels (£4 each) and the Bontrager valves (also £4 each). Any sealant will work in theory, but latex based ones like Stans etc work the best. It's actually a very good system, and a sight cheaper than other conversion kits! Go for it 🙂

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I have Rhythm Pro rims on my bike and bough the proper strips and valves from Evans for about £15 along with the Bonty super juice sealant and it works fantastically. Oddly enough, my Conti Mountain King Tubeless tyres seal really easily with almost no effort, but the Bonty Mud X take a bit of faffing to seal initially.

Well worth doing – I have run mine as low as 20 psi and had no puncture issues at all.

uplink
    Free Member

I'd inflate them initially without the sealant – just to make sure there's no big holes or other issues
    Once they're up & seated correctly deflate them & add the Stan's [or whatever] fluid

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Second (or third or whatever) getting the proper Bonty rim strip. Got the strip and valves from Pedal On and it was a doddle. Bonty tyres, rim and rimstrip all goes up with a mini pump if needed.
    Only tip, I got a perfect seal first time, every time with Jones XR's and Big Earl wets if I had both tyre beads in the middle, if I only popped one bead off the rim, say to add sealant it needed more vigorous pumping but with both beads in the middle it really did go up like an innertube,
    I was both astounded and very pleased. 🙂
    EDIT- got hold of a syringe to add latex through the valve with the core removed and it is now even easier to set up, waiting on a new rear tyre (thanks Vinneyc) and know it will be a quick, clean job.
    Put tyre on
    Pump up tyre with a bit of water, soapy if I am near the kitchen.
    Remove valve core
    Add sealant
    Pump up
    Quick shake then ride.

P20

I've had a bit of hit and miss with the bonty system. The mud tyres sealed without problem on the front, but rear wouldn't. Changed to maxxis advantage for the summer and rear worked no problem, but front leaks badly from valve. Tried different valves too. Never had this with the stans system

thejesmonddingo

I,ve got the 8,run 2.4 Mountain Kings,no problems sealing at all with the Bontrager strips and some Stan's.
    Ian

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Do your valve up real tight on the rim – if not it may come loose when you unscrew your threaded pump, and you have a gunkfilled, flat tyre in the middle of nowhere 😳

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Going tubeless on trek remedy 8 (May seem like a stupid question)’ is closed to new replies.