Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Going tubeless on a pram ?
  • whatgoesup

So we’ve just got a fancy pram ready and waiting for the twins who should be along early next year, and it’s got inflatable tyres, great but that would be a right faff when punctures strike.

Has anyone tried tubelessing a pram tyre, or running stans / some other sealant in a tube?

Is this a great idea, or a recipe for being coming home to find a wife covered in sealant having half carryied a pram and two crying babies home?

mildred

We HAD to do it on our Phil & Ted’s, otherwise every sine walk turned into a screaming drag home. Stan’s is the stuff with Schwalbe tyres as the originals wouldn’t seal.

Junkyard
    Free Member

my double buggy off road type [urban detour iirc]pushed ok with a rear puncture so i am not sure there is much point

reggiegasket
    Free Member

you can puncture proof them, which I did:

cut the bead off a kevlar road tyre
    trim to the inside diameter of pram tyre
    fit and glue inside the pram tyre

now thorns have to go through two tyres. Early DHers trick, before there were decent DH tyres. Works a treat as the pram tyres are rubbish and puncture like crazy otherwise.

whatgoesup

Brilliant feedback, thanks chaps – I’ll get onto sorting this out.

Vern0n
    Free Member

Never found it a big issue on ours (quinny), think i had 2 flats in 2 yrs with regular on/off road abuse! Just run quite high pressure…

I used this place when our original tyres finally wore out http://www.oybcycles.com/
    They stocks a good range for most buggies and have slicks, knobblies and yes punture resistant ( I went for these and yet to have a flat on these in coming up 2yrs)

joemarshall
    Free Member

Slime in the tube and schwalbe tyres rather than the manufacturers ones = no more punctures and probably less faff than tubeless.

crikey
    Free Member

I find myself amazed at the stupidity that some people are willing to reveal to a wider audience.

rootes1

stans/other goo in inner tubes would seem sensible option?

parkesie
    Free Member

Waiting for a thread along the lines of i was fitting tubeless to the pram when bang…..

Pram on a roof op looking like a breast feeds gone massively wrong.

mandog

What pram tyres for Barry Knows Best?

patentlywill
    Free Member

Personally I’d invest in better shocks – TFTuned?

randomjeremy
    Free Member

deflate tires, fill with tireweld, job done.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

#FirstWorldProblem

Calls westwoods agent to see if he’s free for Pimp my Pushchair

TooTall
    Free Member

Haven’t had a puncture in 2.5 years of pram and Baby Jogger. Pressures are fairly high, speeds are slower (so seeing glass is easier) and weight on the tyres is less.

No idea what people do to get lots of punctures on prams.

chakaping
    Free Member

*amazed that people with children have time for this sort of thing*

Stoner
    Free Member

So we’ve just got a fancy pram ready and waiting for the twins who should be along early next year

making the most of all that spare time he still has, chakaping 😉

scruff
    Free Member

I tried stans didnt work at low pressure required, and tyre liners didnt work either.

Fitted fancy schwable tyres off Amazon and tubes- much better.

cookeaa

TBH it was the first thing I wondered when we got a Bill and Teds jobbie, then I just pumped up the tires and we got on with using it…

And it’s not really been a problem, we’ve had one slow puncture on a rear wheel and even then my missus managed to limp home with it.

I’d maybe consider Stans in the tubes but I’d not fancy trying to get any version of tubeless to work on what are basically 12″ plastic mag wheels… 😯

Definately a First world problem…

whatgoesup

Hi All,

Thanks for the advice – some really useful stuff there. I’ll give slime tube a go, and maybe some schwalbe tyres depending on what I find.

The reason to think about this ahead is that a few years ago I was out with my sisters pram and baby plus toddler in the new forest, and we got a puncture, found there was no spare / pump so had to half push, half carry the pram for a couple of miles which wasn’t a whole heap of fun. Thinking forwards to a potentially overwhelmed wife with two babies, and as they’re due in Jan it will likely be cold and raining … worth a bit of effort to avoid I think!

Agreed that it’s definitely a “first world problem” – I continually feel that all this fancy gear and worrying about details is just a bit ridiculous, but I think that it’s put into perspective by comparing to how much time, money and effort I put into my bikes, which is after all just for a bit of fun and fitness.

Thanks all,

Mark

easygirl

Oo oohhh my god you’ve got such a shock coming
    The last thing you will be thinking about with newborn twins is what sealant to use in your pram
    Good luck, fantastic, albeit trying time coming 🙂

easygirl

easygirl

Markie
    Free Member

Running with our mountain buggy during hedge cutting season used to involve puncture after picture.

Bought some Dr Sludge tubes from either Wiggle or Amazon and never looked back. Took a tyre off to see what was going on inside – 24 (or so) little sealed holes!

Can’t quote see why you’d go tubeless over a gunk filled tube on a pram, but there you go!

DezB
    Free Member

crikey – Member
    I find myself amazed at the stupidity that some people are willing to reveal to a wider audience.

Without you (bravely) revealing who you think is stupid, how can we know whether we agree with you or not?

whatgoesup

crikey – Member
    I find myself amazed at the stupidity that some people are willing to reveal to a wider audience

Assuming that this is aimed at my original post, I’d be interested to know what it is about it the post that you feel justifies publicly calling someone stupid?

Actually, the question applies no matter who the comment referred to…

ir_bandito
    Free Member

http://www.pushchairs.co.uk/acatalog/punctures.html

Thron-reistant inner tubes. Fitted them to our 3-wheeler after getting 6 punctures in one go. trying to walk a 3-wheeled buggy 3 miles home using only 1 of the rear-wheels, whilst maintaining a constant speed to keep the baby asleep is a frikkin’ nightmare.

They work, its that simple. Nno messing with slime, no retro-fitting puncture-proof liners that can slip, just switch the inner tubes.

brassneck

No idea what people do to get lots of punctures on prams.

Live in the countryside where there are thorns and stuff like that. mainly all over the byways after hedge cutting season.

I took the valve cores out of the tubes and filled them with the cheapest ‘slime’ I could find – Poundland did some briefly – worked a treat, and fixed and existing slow puncture too.

StirlingCrispin

Oh the joys. Why they don’t do solid pram tyres I do not know.

Anyway, I fitted Slime tyre-liners to our pushchairs and it worked well (thorns were a massive problem for us).

And this gadget can help when the you can’t fit the track pump onto the valve: http://www.bikesonline.com/topeak-pressure-rite-valve-adapter-silver.htm

brakes
    Free Member

Why they don’t do solid pram tyres I do not know.

becwause ickle baby-waby might gwet a sore botty-wotty wivout nice cushy-wushy twyres

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Why they don’t do solid pram tyres I do not know

They do. But they’re not as good for rougher surfaces, running with etc as they bounce around all over the place. Same reason you don’t fit solid tyres to your bike.

We have 2 pushchairs. Small-wheels and solid tyres for pushing about town. Bigger wheels with inflatable tryes for off-road walks and running.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Fuh shizzle.

ransos
    Free Member

Solid wheels on our pram are absolutely fine. Baby invariably falls asleep so it can’t be too uncomfortable.

We use a Little Life rucksack for hill walking, which gives you far more flexibility than any pram.

Junkyard
    Free Member

great on tarmac absolutely dreadful for anywhere not super smooth- you may as well ask why you dont ride with solid wheels

emanuel
    Free Member

by that rationale,I don’t ride with 4 wheels either.
    and the smallest wheels I have are 17″ on the folder.
    but don’t let reality cloud your rhetoric.

emanuel
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jebW5-G2HTs[/video]
    there you go.
    but russian soviet prams
    none of this decadent western bourgeois consumerist built-to-sell-designed-to-fail prams.
    look at the schwalbe catalogue,now you’ve got the pos,in any case.

emanuel
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jebW5-G2HTs[/video]
    towards the end.
    larger wheels roll better.

Junkyard
    Free Member

but don’t let reality cloud your rhetoric.

We are going to insult each other/argue over pram experiences 🙄

emanuel
    Free Member
    whatgoesup

Got it all installed and sorted out last night, just took it out for a test spin after work today

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Going tubeless on a pram ?’ is closed to new replies.