Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Going tubeless
  • chorscroft
    Free Member

I'm interested in going tubeless using my XT M775 wheelset. However I would like to use non-UST tyres, my continental raceking and speedking.

As I'm using a UST rim do I need to use a rim strip?

I don't have any tubeless valves, will these do? http://www.freeborn.co.uk/shop/components/tubeless-conversion-kits/155-stans-notubes-ust-tubeless-valve-stem

What's involved in setting it up?

As I understand it, I simply put the valve stem in, cover the rim and tyre in soapy water, put the tyre on the rim and use a track pump and attempt to get the bead to pop in and roughly seal.
    And then i can take out the valve core and put in some sealant and leave the wheel on its side and flip it after a while to fully seal, top up the sealant and fully inflate.

Right?

Cheers

Conor

stuartie_c
    Free Member

That's the theory.

I've got the same wheelset and they've been great for tubeless BUT only with tubeless-ready tyres (different bead). I had a nightmare last summer trying to get a pair of Conti Speed Kings to seat properly and eventually gave up and went back to Bonty TR tyres (easy!)

You may have more success if you stick a rimstrip in which might force the bead into the bead hook but for the money you might as well get a set of proper tubeless ready tyres (they are as light as normal ones though you'll need some sealant to make them airtight)

Saccades
    Free Member

You have UST rims….

:facepalm:

chorscroft
    Free Member

UST tyres are as light as normal ones?

I've heard that the tyres are hard to seal (especially supersonic ones) but doable.

Can someone please guide me towards a sub 500g UST tyre

Saccades
    Free Member

UST Tyres are generally heavier – (there are LUST's (light UST's)), because they have a much thicker sidewall than normal tyres, so that when you run the low pressures you find it harder to rip the bollocks out of them.

However you don't have, rimstrip, tape, tube and other faff about things to add to the tyre.

As for a sub 500g tyre…. why do you want one?

UST means you get something that is virtually indestructable with stunning grip and rolling resistance, add 50ml of latex:water and you get improved resistance to punctures from thorns and the like (you don't get pinch flats). My UST's with some gloop slopped in lasted 14 months without me touching them.

I can understand trying to to UST on the cheap if you don't have UST rims/wheels, but otherwise? Needless pissing about.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

There's a difference between UST tyres and Tubeless Ready ones. UST have an extra layer of rubber inside which makes them airtight and consequently heavy (700g-ish). TR tyres don't – they have a UST bead so will seat and seal very easily on UST rims (and non-UST like Mavic XC717) but they are not airtight, which is where the sealant comes in.

I use Bontrager tyres in various guises from Jones XR Team Issue at 480g through Revolt Super X(540g), Mud X and Jones ACX (around 560g). 50-60ml of sealant does the trick and gives a very reliable and pretty light setup.

chorscroft
    Free Member

As for a sub 500g tyre…. why do you want one?

Because it's for a lightweight XC bike, were I'm trying to save weight, and as it's rotational weight on the very outer edge of the wheel, tyres are probably the most important place to save it.

Ah thanks for clearing that up stuartie_c. I think I'll give the tyres I have at the minute ago and if I can't get them to seal, give some tubeless ready ones ago.

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

You don't need UST rims
    Some tyres will not seal properly "off the shelf". Stick a tube in,do a ride and try again.
    Good luck!

Saccades
    Free Member

Depends where you ride I guess, I presume the north is pretty much like the south, certainly carlingford is (bogs filled with rocks) – TR are a compromise if you ask me, the lower pressures put more emphesis/stress on the sidewall, which normal tyres are not designed for. The lower weight is mitigated by the need for gloop.

Blah, I'm not the best person to ask/argue – but 50% of the reason I went fully UST is because the irish olympic fella said "this system is the best" – Kinda hard to argue with for me.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Going tubeless’ is closed to new replies.