Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Going Touring this year?
  • ton

anyone got any touring planned.
    on or offroad.
    where you going?

MrsPoddy
    Free Member

we are, we are doing the Castles and Coast South at the beginning of May – sustrans route so on side roads and gravel tracks. We are camping so lucky MrPP gets to pull the trailer up the climbs. MrPP has some riding planned when we are in the US in September but that is not really touring.

Houns

Would like to do something

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Going to northern France in August for a wedding, taking the bikes and doing a spot of light touring with my daughter. 😀

StirlingCrispin

Cape Wrath and back from Inverness, on a week-long CTC-tour.
    (Done it before and going as deputy to help a mate out).

Pickers

Oh yes, train to Oban – ferry to Barra or Sth Uist, ride up to Tarbert then ferry back to Skye, cycle down and cross to Mallaig then back down to Oban. Or maybe carry on up to Stornaway and ferry back to Ullapool. Haven’t decided yet. Anyways, train back from wherever I get to.
    It’ll be in May, hopefully after the ice has thawed a little but before the midges appear. Can’t wait.

Oh, doing Hadrains Wall NCN72 with Mrs Pickers as well later in the year.

hjghg5
    Free Member

Mrs Poddy – snap – also doing coast and castles in early May 🙂 First tour for me and I’m really looking forward to it.

Just need to get a rack and some panniers sorted for the pompetamine…

ton

hope you all have good fun.

starting my touring year a week on friday with a 3 day jaunt around the north yorkshire moors.
    at the end of april me and the good lady are having 4 days in belgium on the bikes
    and then i have a week planned touring the distillaries in september.
    gonna be a good year hopefully……. 😀

drain

Camino de Santiago (the Camino Frances version) from 27th of this month, dry run of Coast’n’Castles mid May ahead of helping a group do it in September.

Hoping the weather in Spain decides what it’s doing, it’s been sub zero and snowing ’til recently! 😯

boblo
    Free Member

Doing the Way of the Roses in May mit tandem and still trying to talk Mrs Boblo into touring Vietnam/Laos/Cambodia later in the year….

headfirst
    Free Member

Me and my mate are doing the Coast to Castles Newcastle to Edinburgh route over 3 days during the Easter break. 2 nights camping then a hotel in Edinburgh. I need to get a few miles under my belt before then!

4 days in belgium on the bikes

We did this last year and it was great! Belgian beers, super-wide bike lanes, beautiful cities (Bruges, Ghent), the tour of flanders museum, visiting a few war cemeteries, shaking hands with Eddie Mercx at the Menin Gate…lovely. 🙂 Enjoy yourselves!

scotroutes

Stuff. There are big areas of Scotland I need to visit, I’m still after a decent route to see some nice bits of England. And I have a Celtic Capitals plan.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Pretty well as Pickers above.Last week of May into June.

summittoppler
    Free Member

I’ve got a 4 dayer planned at the end of may taking in the delights of North western scotland. Can’t wait!!

crewlie

Hopefully 2 or 3 weeks somewhere around the Basques region of France in May, depending on elderly relatives staying well.
    Not sure yet whether there are many camp sites open at that time of year down there though.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

A jaunt to France hopefully with Leffeboy, a bit of mixed on and off road multi day touring in Scotland, and some island hopping with Ton in September. Nt really a tour but I fancy a ride out to the Loch Ossian youth hostel too.

scotroutes

mcmoonter – the SYHA also run a B&B (with evening meals) at Corrour Station.

mugsys_m8

Back to Denmark for Mrs Mugsy, Etienne (5) Pia (will be 3) and myself in the summer for 3 weeks. Planning on going up northland and getting there by train from home near Grenoble (riding to the train station I hope). Might be our last tour with a trailer.

Last year we island hopped from the German border over to Copenhagen and back. Camping all the way sometimes in the free nature (nature not naturist!) campsites. Great times, hoping and planning for more.

clareymorris

+1 here for Coasts and castle north – early may!!

See you all out there!!!!

clareymorris

Actually if anyone has done the Coasts and Castles route do they recommend doing the coastal route in its entirety or the alternative route taking in Innerleithen and on up to Edinburgh?

hjghg5
    Free Member

I’m going via Innerleithen, but I can’t actually remember why I opted for that.

stevemakin

welsh coast in May, western isles in Sept and lots of small stuff in between

RustySpanner

Ireland in the Summer!

Mostly on road & in independant hostels.

Can’t wait.

nedrapier

Going to northern France in September for a wedding, taking the bikes and doing a spot of light touring with my wife and some friends. 😀

enjoy yours, neil!

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Anyone done any touring in Normandy/Brittany?

I have a half-baked notion of doing a loop over a long weekend, starting at one English Channel port accessible through Portsmouth, and coming back via another. However, don’t want to do a pointless tour of some scabby industrialised and desolate coastline.

Do they have Sustrans (SustFrans?!) equivalent routes?

As I say, the notion is very much at the half-baked stage at the moment. Would be glad to hear people’s experiences.

ska-49
    Free Member

Cycling from Reading to Frankfurt to visit my Dad. Plan on doing it 100% wild and solo. Not sure if I’ll cycle back. Will have to see.

Bazz

Going to do a few days over the South Downs in the summer, start on the SDW in Winchester and finish on the SDW in Eastbourne, but mix up a fair bit of road in between with the SDW and take in some of the villages along the way.

IanW
    Free Member

This EuroVelo 12 runs past my door. I just need a good enough excuse or a bad enough day to get on it.

Basil

[/img]

Just spent the weekend test fitting new luggage!
    Train to Glasgow on the 23rd. Nine days, Up through Tarbet around a bit,Glen Coe for two days, Great Glen to Inverness and then drunk on the train back to merry Lincolnshire
    Yipppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    (Snow last Easter!!!!!)

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Planning to drive to Dover-ish, then ferry to Calais and cycle the north coast through Belgium and into Netherlands, with the mrs in late summer.

ton

some nice sounding trips everyone.

Basil, that looks a good old set up, are you taking the kitchen sink..;o)

Basil

Lucky it’s never windy in Scotland.
    Me thinks a cross wind could be fun?
    P.S.
    It’s a tent for me – non of that tarp style accommadation
    And I’m not going nowhere without me Snowpeak Titanium French Press

Basil

How did that happen

iain1775
    Free Member

headfirst – Member
    Me and my mate are doing the Coast to Castles Newcastle to Edinburgh route over 3 days during the Easter break. 2 nights camping then a hotel in Edinburgh. I need to get a few miles under my belt before then!

Yep me too, kind of, same weekend although we are actually doing Berwick-Edinburgh via Innerleithen then back along the coastal route
    May see you en route, staying Clovenfords on the Friday night, Edinburgh hostel on the Saturday

clareymorris – Member
    Actually if anyone has done the Coasts and Castles route do they recommend doing the coastal route in its entirety or the alternative route taking in Innerleithen and on up to Edinburgh?

Will let you know, although I suspect the alternative to be better

scotroutes

I did Berwick – Dunbar last year and Berwick – Edinburgh the year before. In 2012 I followed the coast almost all the way. In 2011 I cut up through Duns and the B6355 to Gifford and Pencaitland. That’s a lovely route.

I should have GPX tracks of both if anyone is interested.

kennyp
    Free Member

Arran, Islay and Colonsay. Basically a distillery tour with some cycling thrown in.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I intend too, not sure where yet tho..

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Oooo, double post.. 😕

rob1984p
    Free Member

All being well I’ll be soloing around Germany for a few weeks, on road, on my trusty 70s Claud Butler unless something Mercian shaped enters my life.

ben
    Free Member

A week in the golden triangle for me. Heading to Chiang Mai in April for a spot of credit card touring. Can’t wait!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Going Touring this year?’ is closed to new replies.