Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • going to wales on saturday… how do i prepare??
  • renton
    Free Member

me and my mate are off to wales on saturday and doing a couple of rides.

saturday we are doing the skyline and on sunday either whiteslevel or the wall.

what can i do to prepare myself for this as to be honest they are going to be the biggest rides i have ever done!!.

ive got myself some spare tubes and a pump and thats about it!!!!

what do i need then??

cheers
    steve

emac65
    Free Member

Multi tool,Powerlink or two,water/energy drink & some food that you like.Probally need a waterproof too 😯

nickc

Food and water lots of both. multi tool, and a phone. I'd pack a waterproof, or at the very least a spare wind proof shell. Skyline is a big 'ole ride, take it steady.

renton
    Free Member

cheers fellas!! ive got my 3 litre bladder inthe old camelback , what sort of food will be ideal for this ride??

FuzzyWuzzy

Are the best bits of Skyline still shut for logging? I'd avoid it if it is (although you can clamber over the blockages…).
    I take a full Camelbak of crap for long away rides (stuff that emac mentions) + first aid kit, chain tool, tyre patches, mobile. Also better to have too much water and get the extra training benefit from the weight rather than have too little :p
    Take it easy at the start to, Whites & Skyline share the same first climb, it's not too bad but can take a lot out of you especially on cold legs. Technically the riding is pretty easy (unless you go silly fast) but there are quite a few small drop-offs so ride some in advance for practice if you're not too confident on them.

Edit: For food I'd just take a banana, an energy bar or two and a gel or two for a bit of variety – you prob won't need to eat it all though (especially if you stop at the cafe between trails 😉 ).

Oh also make sure you check the trail map and take a note of the post numbers for the emergency exits and the ranger's phone number.

snaps
    Free Member

I'd probably not use the Skyline, if you used say the Wall & Penhyd or Whites & the wall, then you'd be able to bale out easier if it was to much for you – Skyline has virtually zero civilisation once you leave the Dropoff & the weather can make a big difference, but if you feel you can then go for it!
    Yes parts of Skyline are shut but good diversions are in place.

nickc

what sort of food will be ideal for this ride??

Anything really, it doesn't matter that much, as long as you eat regularly, flapjack is good, bananas, fig rolls, take some sandwiches, and have a picnic. The views are grand.

Mister-P
    Free Member

If it is your biggest ride to date then I would probably pop a camera in your rucksack too.

When I go riding in Wales for the day I like to take plenty of water and food in the car on the way. Hitting the trails hydrated and fuelled makes a heck of a difference. Sounds obvious but I didn't think about it a few years ago and wondered why I was struggling.

bintangman
    Free Member

I'd agree with snaps – If you've never done 46k before, you could have a great weekend linking up Whites and the Wall for a long ride – or W2 (if that isn't the very same thing). Skyline takes you a long way out and would be a lot to do straight off. You should probably aim to leave early morning if you do decide to do it. I speak from experiece, having had to wait in the dark with the mountain rescue for someone who mistimed the ride and didn't leave enough time to get back.
    If you do it, have a great time. I'd suggest a map and compas as well.

llama

if its your biggest ride then best advice is to:

start early
    go slow and steady
    tools
    food
    clothes for any weather

Skyline is not a hard 46K once you clear the first climb.

If you started early you could easily walk it before dark so don't worry about all the doom sayers.

BigJohn

What you eat and dring the couple of days before and the morning of the ride are most important.

Check out Matt Hart's excellent article in issue 47.

Basically, lots of carbs (and enough water to help them turn into stored energy – i.e. lots).

Fat and alcohol tend to block the absorption of those carbs.

So a big spag bol the night before and porridge in the morning, and jam sandwiches in the car. And lots of water. If your wee is yellow, you aren't hydrated.

renton
    Free Member

we are planning on leaving home around 6 ish sat morning and stoping at a cafe for a big full english to get fuelled up!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘going to wales on saturday… how do i prepare??’ is closed to new replies.