Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Going to see Doctor, but any advice as to what tests to ask for?
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

A week before Christmas I started going down with a cold and it lasted for 2 weeks. Since then I have really been struggling with on the bike sessions and PT. I usually do a twice weekly PT session, but today I called it a day after 30 mins. For some reason the sessions are destroying me and I end up feeling totally spent after the first 10 mins of any explosive related activity. When I say spent I end up feeling confused and rather dizzy. In fact, on my way to the water cooler today I felt my vision was going funny and sounds seem to sound further away.

Blood pressure will be on the list, but I wonder what else I can ask the GP to test?

willard

U&Es, LFTs, T4/TSH (Thyroid function). Maybe FBC too.

Those are the basic ones and should be what they’ll take blood for anyway.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

I’d get him to test for brain activity. A cold for two weeks then straight back on it pretty soon after. Not surprised you feel shit.

You’re almost certainly still not recovered from the illness.
    Take some more time off to recover properly.

perchypanther
    Free Member

GCS? If it’s less than 10 i’d think about taking corrective action.

project
    Free Member

blood tests for anaemia,

DrP

Serum Rhubarb is likely to be low. Or high. or both?

As always, this can’t be classed as medical advice as I’m really a mod-bot hell bent on taking over the internetzzzz…but…I’d say a realistic expectation of recovery from non life threatening but acutely debilitating illness is necessary in this situation.
    In ‘olden days’ people would accept they were ill, rest, take it easy, and slowly get back to health.
    Nowadays it’s “must get back to full fitness ASAP..work hard..no time off…”
    It’s crippling the health service.

Of course, you’ll see your doctor and they’ll do tests. But a human getting ill then feeling washed out for a few weeks, especially when going back to PT twice a week is, I’m afraid, what most would class as ‘normal’.

You’ll be ‘reet..

DrP

thepurist

I had proper hard nasty flu over Xmas, didn’t get up or eat for 2 days, could barely move for at least another week. I’m feeling exactly the same as the op, just not able to exert myself. You know what, I’m just doing what I can then accepting that I’m not right yet. I’ve been here before, over did it trying to recover before I was ready and.ended up sick for even longer. Your body is usually pretty good at telling you what it’s up to, just listen to it once in a while.

spw3

You are asking for medical advice on a cycling forum.

Therefore

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Therefore

You are not in a position to ask for anything.

Therefore

You should let the doctor decide what to do.

HTH.

yosemitepaul

Yes, go see your doctor, but you’ve already diagnosed yourself. You had a cold for two weeks.
    What in reality do you expect him / her to do?
    As per other posters. Rest, listen to your body, rest.
    Things will be back to normal in a few weeks.

loddrik
    Free Member

flanagaj
    Free Member

Cheers fellas

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Take Willards list of requests in with you, how could the doc not listen to such reason !?!

Alternatively cancel the appointment, admit to them you are being a muppet, say you will rest and if your not getting better in 2 months time you will make another appointment

theotherjonv

What Willard said, but ask for an extra dose of E’s, cos’ E’s are good.

perchypanther
    Free Member

cos’ E’s are good.

theotherjonv

Naughty naughty

natrix
    Free Member

Have you been sharing needles with cats???? 👿

qwerty
    Free Member

Definitely a prostate exam.

docrobster
    Free Member

Gotta love STW.
    If you must see a doctor how about letting them decide what to do, what with their qualification, experience and all?
    I don’t tell the electrician how to rewire my house.
    Well all miss the NHS when it’s gone, but these threads won’t happen that’s for sure.

footflaps

If you must see a doctor how about letting them decide what to do, what with their qualification, experience and all?

WTF do they know?

I’ve got the whole of Google at my disposal!!!!!

chakaping
    Free Member

Ask to do that test on the krypton factor where you had to arrange shapes in a kind of 3d puzzle.

Always fancied a go at that myself.

flanagaj
    Free Member

Just checked my symptoms on Net Doctor and it says I have a week to live. I’ll cancel the appointment.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Ask for a Lab test?

and a Cat Scan..

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Going to see Doctor, but any advice as to what tests to ask for?’ is closed to new replies.