Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • going to live my dream – a season in whistler – talk to me.
  • whatnobeer
    Free Member

I’m planning on doing the same thing next year after I graduate and when I have enough cash to make it work. Planning on working but I hear jobs can take a while to find and work can be patchy until it gets busy. I’m planning on doing a whole year over there. Do the seasons transition straight from one to the other? When does the skiing stop and the biking begin, in say, Whister?

Burts
    Free Member

Bike park is open mid-May to mid-October, although the upper Garbanzo zone isn’t usually available until June (July this year becuase of epic snowcover).

Ski season is snow dependent, but typically late November to mid/late April for most of the ski area, with glacier skiing going to right into June/July I think (only for the very keen). The quality stuff is December-March though.

_tom_
    Free Member

Planning on working but I hear jobs can take a while to find and work can be patchy until it gets busy.

That’s the situation I’m in now. End of bike/summer season but have at least another month or so to go before winter/ski & board season comes. Unfortunately I only have and can afford accomodation til mid October so think I may have to return home unless something picks up job wise. I would love to stay here through winter (probably just work solidly through a lot of it as boarding and skiing aren’t really my thing yet) and then do the full summer bike season next year!

walleater

^ Why not just move to Vancouver if you have some sort of open work permit? Whistler is going to be totally dead in the next couple of weeks or so through until December. That’s what I did in 2007 and I’m still here!

_tom_
    Free Member

I’m looking for work in Vancouver as well, just nothing has come up yet.

walleater

Well, if you have any shop or tech experience, these guys are always looking for staff, mainly because no local wants to work for the grumpy owner!

http://bspbikes.com/

But you’d hardly ever see him and work over the winter will be super easy. I was stoked to finally get an open work permit again so I could leave, but it was a means to an end.

_tom_
    Free Member

The only shop experience I have is a uni summer holidays spent working Tesco night shifts, and I can only do simple repair stuff on my own bike 😆 There are normal dishwasher, bar staff type jobs about on craigslist, Pique etc, I’ve just only had 1 call back/interview so far! Ideally I would get a job doing what I did back home (video editor and some graphics design) but those jobs are few and far between. The tv/film/media Vancouver craigslist is full of people looking for adult film actresses 😆

DJTC
    Free Member

thank you all for yourd advice. please keep it coming. it all helps. very envious of all of you who are there now and are also doing a winter season. living the dream or what!!

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Tom_ did you find more work or did you have to come back? Any tips you can pass along? I’m in the process of applying for the visa at the moment with the plan to head out at the start of next November?

rockhopper70

probably a bit late in the day but my nephew did this in the summer of ’11.
    Booked for 3 months and came back after 6 weeks (lovesick we think).
    Spesh demo was too much for the trails. He is now getting a bottlerocket.
    Bashed his elbow after 4 days (vanity prevented him using elbow pads) so off the bike for two weeks. Couldn’t afford to see doc so get insurance.
    Cant drink ’till you are 21 (quite strict with this too)
    Cheese is very expensive.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

probably a bit late in the day but my nephew did this in the summer of ’11.

More info the better.

Cant drink ’till you are 21 (quite strict with this too) – 24 here, so thats not a problem.

Cheese is very expensive. – This is 🙁

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘going to live my dream – a season in whistler – talk to me.’ is closed to new replies.