Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Going to Fort William Tomorrow – Help!
  • tbag
    Free Member

Me and the missus booked a trip a while ago in the hope to go skiing but taking the bikes in case of no snow which looks likely, but it looks like gale force winds mind affect the biking just as much!

Does anyone have any advice please on places to ride etc? never been before so we’ll study the map but anyone got an idea what they’d do? hopefully theres some stuff lowland cause of the weather.. plus we’re public transporting so can’t really get around too easily!
    Help much appreciated!

Edit- hopefully the lifts should open, would they take bikes in the winter season? wont be tackling the DH track on our hardtails, any natural trail recommendations?

druidh
    Free Member

The trails at Nevis Range are pretty sheltered. If you want something less “gnar”, there’s always the canal towpath and up towards Loch Lochy but that can be a bit exposed on some of the more open sections.

tbag
    Free Member

Cheers, thats good to know they’re quite sheltered, last week measured 120mph gusts! Rough trails are fine but less ice and wind lower down should be more fun i reckon

stuartm555
    Free Member

They won’t take bikes at this time of year regardless of snow cover

neepshed
    Free Member

Laggan Wolftrax is worth a look. Only 20 miles or so from Fort William.

tbag
    Free Member

Cheers I’ll take note and have a gander, thanks! Would they not even let bikes in the main gondola this time of year? Cause you could just walk them in no? That’s a shame if we can’t just smile and ask nicely :mrgreen:

kharim
    Free Member
    iainc

The Witches Trails are very sheltered. Between the 10UTB and World Cup XC courses, which are all clearly signposted from the Gondola Car Park you can have loads of fun

ivnickkate
    Free Member

The Great Glen Cycleway – Fort William to Inverness.
    http://www.greatglenway.com/introduction.htm

Also, we once cycled to Malliag,and got the train back, it stops on the Glenfinnan viaduct, it takes bikes [book in advance].

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Was up there in November and did witches trails, world cup XC route, 10 under the Ben and then Laggan. All pretty sheltered and low down ish. You’ll find loads to do.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

WHW to Kinlochleven and back. If you can get the bikes on a bus you could get the bus to KLL and do the Ciaran Path etc

totalshell

plus one for the WHW and kinlochleven ara for real mountian biking.. no trails just wide open spaces on top of proper mountains with views to die for.. got my 10 days in May booked (same time as six days and pre 65 trials.. )

tbag
    Free Member

This is great cheers! what I wanted to hear.. skiings overrated

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

You could do a loop that we did years ago one May. Went from Glen Nevis on the WHW to the Mamore Hotel & head over towards Spean Bridge past Loch Eilde. When you get to Luibeilt go left & head back towards the head of Glen Nevis.
    EXCEPT…on reflection I’d do it in reverse cos from Luibeilt to G.N. is a nightmare & I’d rather get the crap bit out of the way 1st! From Luibeilt to Ft Willy is 100% rideable (apart from the deer fences).

got my 10 days in May booked (same time as six days and pre 65 trials..
    I’ll be up for the week for the trial, Orange-Crush will be there too. Shall we get a ride in?

tbag
    Free Member

Thats a long route Esselgf, looks brill but not sure about this time of year, especially following the river at GlenNevis will probably be even slower now than in May.

Spent today exploring the witches trails and part way up the DH run, good fun but dead wet, and storm damage has meant some bits are closed off. Gonna try and get a lift down to GlenCoe where the West Highland Way meets the A82 and ride it all the way back over the Devils staircase to Fort Bill on Monday, or which ever direction the wind is most behind us!

Thanks for all the help its been useful

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

TBH It’d have to be bliddy good weather for me to do it again! can’t remember the distance we did but we were following the trial. As I said the part from Luibeilt to Glen Nevis was very harsh, very wet underfoot & sleet/snow, 1st week in May!
    On a sunny frosty day it would be different I guess.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Going to Fort William Tomorrow – Help!’ is closed to new replies.