Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Going to a single front ring (will have been covered before but…..)
  • simonlovesrocks
    Free Member

Iv worn through my first set of xc rings well outer and middle, I spend all my time in the middle ring so am considering going to a single front ring.
    a
    Iv done it before using a old middle ring and a bash plus a mech to help the chain stay on. I found that the chain has a tendency of coming off what ever i did.

So whats the best way round it single front specific ring ??? mech no mech ?

jam-bo

new MRP thing, £39. reviewed in this months dirt.

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

1. Use the search (its all been said before)

2. the answer is always the same: single specific ring, and a chain guide (MRP 1.x or E.13 XCX) but a front mech will work. bash isnt needed.

3. recommended ratios will be a 32-36t ring with an 11-34t cassette, depending on your local hills

4. Do it! you wont regret it

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Shorten the chain as well. With an unramped chainring you might get away without a chainguide. or try a bash ring and a jumpstop. cahinguide is best tho

simonlovesrocks
    Free Member

yeah I thought that would be the answer, just had a quick look on crc couldnt see an un ramped rings in stock any recomendations

StuE
    Free Member

32t Renthal chainring and MRPx1

scaredypants

most rings badged as "downhill" are unramped

or go to charlie the bikemonger who tells you they're suitable (here)

BMC09
    Free Member

i run a middleburn ring with the MRP 1x device. works fantastic on the 9 speed.

its great.

adam_h
    Free Member

36t Middleburn unramped ring and Paul Components Chain Keeper 🙂

james
    Free Member

On-one singlespeed chainring will work with a 9speed chain. As will a Thorn one from SJS for a little less money

A bashring and an Ngear jump stop will be cheaper than a 'chaindevice' though
    Theres an FSA one on CRC for £16 and I thought jump stops were about £10? (I don't know?)
    The mrp/e13 front mech style 'chain devices' are about £40. Rohloff does something similar for £40-50

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Going to a single front ring (will have been covered before but…..)’ is closed to new replies.