• This topic has 44 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Going to a gig… when it's seated only
  • Kahurangi

I’m almost thinking of binning a gig I had on the cards, as it’s seated only. No standing area at all..

does anyone actually think it makes for a better gig in any way?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Depends on who is performing.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I find London Symphony Orchestra gigs to be far more enjoyable when sitting down…

captaindanger

Yes if the audience is over 40

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Depends where too.

Personally I reckon Wembley is better seated as you get more of a view.

Saw AC/DC and Green Day seated and we still got up and danced…..

donsimon
    Free Member

The last seated gigs I went to most of the people were on their feet for the whole gig, Bowie, The Cure and Dire Straits, probably says everything doesn’t it? Been to sweaty standing gigs too, no problem.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

You DANCE to AC/DC and Green Day? How very peculiar.

joemarshall
    Free Member

I saw Atari Teenage Riot at a ‘seated’ gig at the South Bank in London once. It was not very seated once they started playing! The ‘security’ was provided by the same ushers they have for orchestra concerts, I think they were a bit out of their depth!

rOcKeTdOg

depends on who it is, if it’s classical then sit, anything with a beat and a guitar everyone stands up anyway

cinnamon_girl

Yeah, know what you mean! Can’t beat being huddled amongst mainly sweaty men with one’s body making involuntary movements in time with the music. Getting close to the stage and really feeling that you’re ‘getting it’ cos the musicians are feeding off the crowd and vice versa.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I had a brief mosh last night at The Hold Steady. I came out half the man I was when I went in 😯

wrightyson
    Free Member

Standing or not going for me I’m afraid!

Northwind

Just once have I been stuck in the seats at a rock show, it was rubbish, might as well have watched it on TV.

thomthumb
    Free Member

we still got up and danced…..

+1

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’ve been to see James Taylor a few times…his gigs are always seated. I’m one of the youngest there normally.

cinnamon_girl

Not the James Taylor?

DrRSwank
    Free Member

You DANCE to AC/DC and Green Day? How very peculiar.

Well, if it can be called dancing, then yes. We got up and boogied, jumped, danced, sang, enjoyed. Call it what you will – we got up….

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yes CG, the James Taylor. Four times now. Once in Paris for a womantic supwise for mrs deadly. Actually one of his gigs was at a stately home type place. Everyone sat down anyway.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The only dancing m-f knows is what he’s done on a Wii. Of course you can dance to ACDC or Green Day.

CountZero

It depends totally on the sort of music. For energetic rock, then standing, for quieter acoustic or folk then seated.

wrightyson – Member
    Standing or not going for me I’m afraid!

So you would happily not see Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Deep Purple, Jethro Tull, Yes, Black Sabbath, Fleetwood Mac, Blondie, Television, Nils Lofgren and Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers…
    If yes just because they’re seated, then frankly you’re a total muppet. all those I’ve seen and more, all seated, and I wouldn’t have missed a single one for the world.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Can I also add.

I’ve been to concerts where I’ve been rather tiddly BUT have still enjoyed the music despite being flat on my back, laying in the sun.

Ears don’t stand up or sit down. They just hear 😉

RichPenny
    Free Member

So you would happily not see Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Deep Purple, Jethro Tull, Yes, Black Sabbath, Fleetwood Mac, Blondie, Television, Nils Lofgren and Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers…

Perhaps he’s not old ?

The only seated gig I went to was awful (thankfully it was only The Darkness and we’d only gone for comedic value and because we’d been asked to). Even though people were stood up, it was still an awful experience (regardless of the music).

Hairychested
    Free Member

I went to see System of A Down, Sepultura and Slayer years ago at The Astoria and I had a seated ticket. It was fine.
    Last year I saw Iron Maiden in Dublin, also a seated ticket, waste of time.
    I reckon it depends on the sound. If it sucks I’ll walk out regardless.

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

I’ve only been to one seated gig and that was Prince at the 02.

We didn’t stay seated for very long, incredible experience and a total contrast to the usual indie rock/hardcore punk in dingy venues that I’m used to.

I couldn’t get over the price of the merchandise though…some of the t shirts were £65 and there was a Prince pillow case for £80!

Loads of 40 something women wearing somewhat ill advised purple outfits too.

atlaz
    Free Member

Been to 30-40 gigs in the last couple of years and I think probably half a dozen were seated. For the most part, given the artists we were seeing it was fine. The only one that I regret was Portishead but given they were the only tickets available and the choice was sit or don’t go, it was okay.

racefaceec90

i would say standing,but i have been having real problems with my lower back,after gigs that i’m walking like john wayne after standing for around 3-4 hours.thankfully the rush gig is at the nec that i’m going to,so will be able to enjoy it a lot more.god i feel old.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The only dancing m-f knows is what he’s done on a Wii.

Don’t have a Wii

😉

retro83
    Free Member

Saw Faithless and had seated tickets. Made no difference as everybody stood up anyway. Stewards kept coming round trying to get people to sit, but they were immediately standing up again when they’d gone. 😆

DezB
    Free Member

I went to see Themselves in London and sat on a speaker all the way through. It was packed and my legs were tired.
    The only proper seated gig ever was Bauhaus at the Southampton Gaumont (sp). We all just stood on the chairs, like rebellious young goffs.

geoffj

How can you NOT dance to Green Day 😯

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUTGr5t3MoY[/video]

chakaping
    Free Member

The only one that I regret was Portishead

Really? Perfect sitting-down music surely?

I saw Iggy and the Stooges in the seated bit at Hammersmith and it was fine, I was wearing a cardigan too!!

It’s okay though, ‘cos he sold out first by doing those insurance adverts.

Also saw MBV seated in Manchester and it worked alright – but then people used to sit on the floor at some shoegaze gigs anyway.

If you really like to mosh it probably won’t work for you though.

Kahurangi

Cheers 🙂

The band in question is British Sea Power. OK, so I was never going to be dressed up like I was when I first saw them (I went in full foliage) and seated may be no bad thing, depending on who I have for company. Last time I saw them was at the Koko and was very well behaved. So no, they’re not a particularly jumping-around-getting-sweaty band.

However I am concerned about the location aspect – no opportunity to pick your spot and the sound might not be very good where the remaining tickets are located.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Not keen on gigs full stop so i may not be the best judge, but I don’t mind sitting down. But don’t expect those around you to listen to that rule.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I prefer a seated gig to be honest, although I do like a good dance when the right song comes on!

For example, I went to watch The Mavericks (one of my favourite rock bands) in Preston and it was a standing only gig. I decided I didnt want to miss them just due to the fact I wouldnt be able to sit down, so I took my walking stick seat in with me. I sat down on it for most of the night just enjoying the wonderful music, but as soon as they played Dance The Night Away, I got up and proceeded to do exactly that!

So I’d recommend getting one of the below, it’ll change your live gig experience forever.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Many years ago I want to see the Levellers at the Town & Country Club (now the Forum). Had always been in the mosh pit before but for this one I watched from the seated balcony. Turned out to be one of the best gigs i’ve ever been to. I really got to appreciate the energy and how good they are live. 😀

DezB
    Free Member

Oh yeah, balcony seats for The Beastie Boys/Run DMC first UK tour. Was bloody far away, but looking down at the crowd, even back then I was quite glad to be away from it!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’ve seen plenty of gigs where I was desperate to get in the mosh pit to “dance” but had naff seated tickets, but equally been to plenty of gigs where I just wanted to sit and listen and not stand for 2 hours solid. At least in a mosh pit there are loads of others to hold you up 🙂

hels
    Free Member

I hate standing gigs – I’m so short I can’t see anything and everyone thinks I’m a gap in the crowd. Same reason I never stay for the end at Fort Bill WC. Kneel down at a gig one day and see how you like it.

Seated gigs rock. Even if everybody stands up it is tiered so I can see more than backs elbows and nostrils of total strangers. And yes I was like this when I was 18.

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, why do all the tall gits stand at the front?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Going to a gig… when it's seated only’ is closed to new replies.