Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Going to 30-t from 32 on 29er
  • TrailriderJim
    Free Member

1 x 10, 36-t largest cassette cog as I want to keep running a short cage rear mech. Finding 32-t chainring just that bit too lacking in bottom end gearing. Anyone moved to 30 and regretted less top-end speed? I ride Shropshire Hills and North Wales mainly.

singlespeedstu

I’ve been running a 30T on my 29ers and fatbike.
    Don’t miss the extra top end at all. If i’m spinning out in 30-11 I’m on the wrong trail. 😉

chiefgrooveguru

I went from 34t to 32t on 27.5 which is basically the same – no loss of top end speed, just spend less time in the biggest sprocket, legs are happier and bike pedals a bit better (more anti-squat).

whitestone
    Free Member

Only had 30T on my 1×10 29er. Rarely get to the point where I’m spinning out – a gear calculator shows I’m doing 28mph at that point

wildc4rd
    Free Member

I’m sticking with the 32, (with an 11-36), I do find the extra speed I seem to carry up hills with the 29er make the gearing work out. Plus its nice to get the speed advantage at the other end of the cassette! Bike build is fairly light though, that helps a lot with gearing choice.

granny_ring

It’s only £20odd & 10 mins to try so worth trying out?

theotherjonv

I’ve been running a 30T 11-36 for a couple of years, but found I was using the outer half of the cassette a bit too much (usually in 6,7,8 at the back). So I recently added a 40T cassette extender and a 32T cog to keep broadly the same bottom gear, but move myself up to using the middle of the cassette.

As above, spinning out in 30×11 was never a problem. When I hit that speed, it’s not my gearing that’s an issue but my bottle.

jimification
    Free Member

I’ve been using a 30T with 11-36 on a 29er for a year or so. I find I start wanting a higher gear than the 30/11 at around 20mph and it’s invariably on long roads / tracks with a slight downslope. Though actually, it’s surprising how few of those there actually are (around us in the SE, at least)

Unless you have a lot of those “slight downslope” tracks near you, I’d expect you will appreciate a lower gear more than you’ll miss the high one.

rOcKeTdOg

30t x 11-36 HT here only time I spin out is on flat fireroad between singletrack/riding on road to get to trails, off road you’ll only notice when you realise you never go into the easiest gear. It’s nice to have just in case though & perfect for the fat bike

oldboy
    Free Member

I was running my old 26″ with a 32t and 11-34. I’ve now graduated to 29″ with a 30t and 11-36 and it’s almost the same. The only time I spin out is downhill on the road, so that doesn’t bother me, and if I spin out downhill offroad I’m going too fast for my limited abilities 🙂

AlasdairMc

Try oval instead, the 32T is meant to be as easy as a 30T but as fast as a 34T. They do work though, it’s hard to explain but pedalling feels a lot smoother and I seem to be able to spin a harder gear faster.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve been running a 30T on my 29ers and fatbike.
    Don’t miss the extra top end at all. If i’m spinning out in 30-11 I’m on the wrong trail.

This.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Anyone else tried the oval ones? I’m somewhat intrigued…

mikeep
    Free Member

32 x 10-42 sram, all bases covered.

steve_b77
    Free Member

My mate runs one and rather likes it, but he’s a bit of a whippet anyway

unovolo
    Free Member

Just built a 29er and have put a 30t ring on the front, seems to work/feel slightly better than the 32t that I was using previously on my 26er, I spend more time in the middle of the cassette with this set up which is better for the chainline anyway.

When its worn out I may take a look at a 32t oval ring.

oldboy
    Free Member

32 x 10-42 sram, all bases covered

If the magic word was Shimano, rather than SRAM, all 1x questions on here would be answered at a stroke, I think. Well, it would for me, at least.

rOcKeTdOg

Anyone else tried the oval ones? I’m somewhat intrigued…

On a single speed yes, felt horrible didn’t suit a smooth pedalling style at all, always felt like something was wrong with the gearing (33:17)

thegreatape
    Free Member

From their facebook page, Superstar may have an oval N/W ring out soon.

bowglie

Similar experience as Rocketdog, i.e. only spinning out on flat fire roads/disused railway tye paths – as soon as one gets a bit of resistance from the gradient or surface, the 30t is the better compromise IMO.

p.s. Interested to read about the equivalent gearing on a 26er, dont wanna hijack this thread though, so will start a new one about it.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Going to 30-t from 32 on 29er’ is closed to new replies.