Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Going rate for felting or anybody DIY?
  • djflexure

Have two flat roofs to felt, about 50sq meters in total. What would a decent rate be? I’m based in the midlands. First quote 2200. Anybody done it themselves?

MrOvershoot

I really do need an eye test, considering what I thought the title was!!

project
    Free Member

Whoever you get make sure they have public laibilty if theyre using flame guns and that the insurance covers them for it, a serious fire was caused by a roofer at aberystwyth national library using a flame gun

singlecrack
    Free Member

Get it fibreglass’d……

djflexure

really do need an eye test, considering what I thought the title was!!

You will go blind eventually.

Hadn’t thought about liability – good point. I expect my first quote is at the expensive end of the market as they operate from a showroom with overheads etc.

slackalice
    Free Member

Sometimes, spell checker saves the filtering….

wrightyson
    Free Member

Get sarna….

mike399
    Free Member

Felt? Is it to keep your horse and cart in by any chance? 😆
    Either a decent single ply membrane like Sarnafil or Trocal, or fibreglass and forget about it…

djflexure

No horses but bikes may be involved.

Are the likes of sarna more expensive, also never heard of it?

Was shown a rubber membrane today at twice the cost. Not an option right now as gutting the place so have lots of other expenses.

The felt came with 10 year warranty which seemed fit for purpose.

wrightyson
    Free Member

If you’re staying I would go for the sarna, if fitted by accredited blah blah think it comes with a 25 yr no quibble blah blah, and in all honesty I’ve been using it in industrial gutters for about 6/7 years and it is brilliant and I wouldn’t go anywhere near old Skool felt nowadays.

mike399
    Free Member

More familiar with Trocal over Sarnafil, but they are both decent products and now both owned by Sika. They need to be layed by someone who knows what they are doing, but will outlast and out perform any old style 3 layer built up felt.
    It will probably cost you more, as your average joe roofer may not be the ideal candidate to fit it.
    If its not going on for long and is only temp, felt may do your job. Get several quotes, and ‘google is your friend’… It pays to know what you are getting quotes for as there are many diffrent systems which may have far superior warranties etc than others.

bruneep

as mike says

any product is only as good as the fitter.

tinribz
    Free Member

Next door’s garage joins mine, they had felters(?) to do their side in and then next time it rained mine was like a sive, grr. In fairness it was probably 30 years old.

Anyway, stripped the lot, covered in marine ply then used that Wickes self-adhesive, cold applied stuff. Think it was this stuff + cap sheet. One man job over a long the weekend. That must have been 5 years ago.

Made a bit of a hash of the edging, some skill there. Rest of it was about as complicated as applying copter tape. Cost most for the ply, probably £500ish all in.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Going rate for felting or anybody DIY?’ is closed to new replies.