Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Going Peaks next week, which ride…
  • jambalaya
    Free Member

FWIW I thought the Eadale loop (as described earlier in the thread) was better than Ladyblower from a riding perspective and no shortage of views either. Make no mistake I enjoyed both and will definitely be back.

@hora – it’s quite exciting at Dartmouth when the Red Arrows perform 200ft above the water and far below you if you are on the hilltops.

hora
    Free Member

That would be amazing. 😀

nickswolves
    Free Member

I’ve printed that route out thanks jambalaya 😀

jambalaya
    Free Member

@nick – you should thank @Poon and also try and do the Limestone Way descent into Castleton, I could happily spend a while there trying to get it right.

@hora – do a biking holiday to Dartmouth/Dartmoor around the end of August, there are flying displays every night during the regatta (the traffic is clearly a bugger but it’s worth it).

nickswolves
    Free Member

Got back from the Peaks today and we did the Kinder Circuit from Edale to Hollins Cross, Mam Tor, Rushup Edge, Roych, Hayfield, Edale Cross, Jacobs Ladder and back to Edale.

Was an awesome ride and I particularly enjoyed the descent from Rushup Edge to Roych but I particularly hated the climb up to Edale Cross from Coldwell Clough which was brutal and ended up walking a good portin of this after getting cramp in my leg.

Was just looking at my Strava download and I’m a little confused….We descended down what I believe was Jacobs Ladder after Edale Cross which was v steep and rocky. I managed to do nearly all of it on my hardtail which I was pleased about but when looking at the route on Strava it doesn’t look like we went down a ‘V’ shaped track that shows on the map? There was some walkers at the bottom videoing me as they were impressed and said it was Jacobs Ladder so whats this ‘V’ we didn’t appear to go down??

dannyh
    Free Member

Man, I just love the Peaks – just so much top riding to do!

The Edale – Mam Tor – Rushup – Roych – Coldwell – Snake – Kinderlow – Jacobs is a classic – only the top of Rushup and some bits around Kinderlow will be boggy.

You can also go up to Hollins from Edale, then off the ‘left-hand bridleway’ (which will be slippy) then over Jaggers Clough to the Beast or Blackley Hey and then Gores Farm to Ladybower and back via Bridge End and Jaggers again.

My ‘banker’ route in the Peaks is from the Heatherdene car park near the Ladybower Inn. Then ride Derwent Edge over from the pub. Loop back to the road bridge. Then Crook Farm, Hagg Farm, Wooler Knoll, Blackley Hey, Rowlee Farm, Lockerbrook (Gores). A sausage and bacon bap at Fairholmes then back over Whinston Lee Tor, finishing with steaming brakes in the front of the Ladybower Inn for a quick pint or lemonade or whatever. Cracking.

I would avoid Cut Gate after rain – there are bits that make you go hmmm if you tear them up with mtb tyres. Most of the other routes are mostly exposed rock, so no real problem there.

mintimperial

I managed to do nearly all of it on my hardtail which I was pleased about but when looking at the route on Strava it doesn’t look like we went down a ‘V’ shaped track that shows on the map?

Sounds like you might have cut the corner and done the footpath instead of the BW. The bridleway is a walled lane in the lower section with a switchback halfway down, that would show up as a V on the map, the footpath straight-lines that corner.

The walkers were probably filming you to report you to the authorities, you can expect a late-night visit from the enforcement division of The Ramblers in the near future. 😯

nickswolves
    Free Member

Sounds like you might have cut the corner and done the footpath instead of the BW. The bridleway is a walled lane in the lower section with a switchback halfway down, that would show up as a V on the map, the footpath straight-lines that corner.

I was done in by the end of the climb up to Edale Cross, so not surprised if I missed the Bridleway. The path was brutally steep though, how does this compare to the Bridleway path?? The bottom of the bit we rode came to a stream.

The ramblers were gobsmacked we descended on a bike down it, they said we were ‘insane’….I felt insane at the end of it looking back up 😀

EDIT – Just found a video on Vimeo of Jacobs Ladder descent and that definitely wasn’t the path we took 😮 It also looks a lot less steep but hard to tell on cam.

MartynS

You went down the footpath…..bridleway was through a gate to the right. Meets back up at the packhorse bridge at the bottom.

nickswolves
    Free Member

Yep realised that now I’ve seen a vid as it wasn’t walled on both sides, only on our right on path I descended. It was extemely rocky and steep! What a nugget!!! 😮

Still was impressed with the Boardman comp Epicon forks, they took it in their stride no probs.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The bridleway indeed has a sharp V in it, from my ride I remember it as the section with the particularly large loose rocks and as you say walls both sides. Thanks for the update @nick always good to hear how things went.

nickswolves
    Free Member

Will look out for the correct path next time, now I know! 😀

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Going Peaks next week, which ride…’ is closed to new replies.