Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Going on my first trip to the alps…
  • chillidave
    Free Member

… and it looks like for 3 of the 4 days it’s going to be stormy weather, so not the best timing but I’m booked in.

I’m hoping the STW collective can give me any extra tips learned from experience.

Thanks all

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I’ve only been once, for a long weekend, so am far from an expert. I got a tad bored with the man made trails/graded routes and as and when I go again will make a bigger effort to seek out the singletrack. The graded routes around Chatel got really slippy and muddy with wet boulder clay when it rained… 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

What kind of riding?

General advice from me – days are longer, hills higher than UK, you’ll get tired to take it easy at the end of the day.

Otherwise, drink enough and wear sunscreen!

johnnystorm

Take a few spare tubes, double ply tyres and spares for anything on your bike that’s out of the ordinary.

jambalaya
    Free Member

When and where are you going ? I just got back from 7 days riding and it was very difrerent to my prior 3 trips. We can make some general comments but specifics would be good.

Btw alpine weather is generally quite variable, localised and volatile, forecast Sunday morning was for rain I had had sun all day …

Diane
    Free Member

Yeah Chatel’s a bit pish in heavy rain. Get out on some natural stuff!

nickjb
    Free Member

Agree with the above. Much of the PdS region isn’t great in the rain. The mud gets really slippery and the rocky/rooty bits even worse. There’s a few trails (the less steep ones) are OK but not nearly as much fun. We tend to take a day off and go rafting when it chucks it down.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I did trips in the mid 90’s when no one (or very few) did high mountain mtb, there’s still generally plenty to do at a lower level. Often, when the high level stuff is in bad weather, lower down weather is ok. As said above, micro climates. Try and take some advice on the best lower level stuff, because a lot of VTT is pish.

chillidave
    Free Member

Thanks all, sorry for not being more specific before as I’m actually leaving for Morzine tomorrow. I have neither the guts nor skill for big downhill and freeride stuff but I’m definitely biased towards gravity assisted riding.

Appreciate the advice and will look into the more XC trails and alternatives for when the weather dictates, ultra slippy mud and roots have caught me out too many times before!

freeman
    Free Member

Plenty of stuff for you to try out, most jumps drops etc have a chicken run round them so dont worry, get yourself over to Switzerland and do the ridge ride, its not a bad day out! Just remember to end the day with a pint of Mutzig or 2!! I really dont know why we do tho cos it tastes like yak pizz! Ive been goin to Morzine for the past 4 years and have always loved it!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Try a guide for a day to find the more hidden stuff

godzilla
    Free Member

Col de cou is a classic ride, dual ply tyres will probably save a load of hassle.

Diane
    Free Member

As a descent not a climb as I found out 😀

jambalaya
    Free Member

It’s too late to advise you on spares, tyres and other gear so I’ll skip that.

Not surprisingly everything in the Alps is bigger, steeper, rockier and rootier, add in less grip from the rain and it can be quite tricky indeed. Good news is it dries quickly but if it’s wet/raining I’d avoid the trails in the trees.

You might like to try Red route in Les Gets around Mont Chery – take mont chery lift to mont caly (excellent restaurant) then round back of hill to start point. A few technical sections but OK in wet generally. It is best ridden on a clear day for the views.

I suggest you buy an IGN map as both the routes below need a bit of navigation – as per the uk you’re riding on the marked paths a lot of the time.

Best trail we did this year was down to Samoens – search for thread on here – it starts from top of Les Gets to peak called Bourgeoise then down to Samoens – you need to organize a taxi/trailer back (was euro 60 for three of us but well worth it)

Col du Coux – a few varients but riding there via excellent lapsia restaurant on the PdS link road from above Avoriaz/Linderets then dropping back down into Avoriaz via paths is one. Alternative is hike a bike to peak for ridge ride or ride Arette Berrois down into Champery – for these you’ll need a Swiss map.

Note if it’s wet the red trails down from super morzine into Avoriaz are quite tricky (as are return trails to morzine) there are fire road options signposted PdS.

Chatel is worth riding for Green Panorama and Blue Trails if you want something straight forward, getting to/from in bad weather needs thinking about as if it’s windy the linking chairlift can be shut.

binners

On a non-riding note: If you’re planning on going out for a few beers and something to eat in Morzine, you may want to re-mortgage your house first?

Call in at a supermarket and buy some beers, munchie food etc to avoid the feeling your being repeatedly raped every time you go to the bar

woody2000

I’ve just broken my Alps duck, and a few things I learned were:

1) If you’re using elbow pads, make sure they fit. I wore mine for half a day before realising they were restricting blood flow in my arms and causing massive arm pump. Didn’t wear them for the rest of the holiday and had no more issues.

2) Goggles are good, even with a normal lid. Keep so much more crap out than glasses.

3) It’s a lot harder than you might think going downhill! Altitude plays a part too, so expect to be tired/out of breath.

4) Stop and take a look around cos the views are pretty impressive 🙂

Enjoy!!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry about the weather too much. Very localised. Plus the steepness massively helps drainage – especially on natural trails.

I wouldn’t rely too much on the weather forcast more than a day or so in advance.

Relax and enjoy! And stuff your face with awesome food and drink.

woody2000

Nearly forgot – try a Ruby Leffe post ride. 😀

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Going on my first trip to the alps…’ is closed to new replies.