Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Going from spd back to flats. Good idea?
  • imp999
    Free Member

I rode SPDs for years on the road then off.
    I prefer flats now and am convinced this is a good move for me since my mate snapped his lower leg in a mild off when he did not un-clip.
    I don’t think you need super shoes for it either. I use TNF Hedgehogs and only get loose on the pedals when I’m knackered. Its a practice/skill thing(I have a skill?).
    PSA Go Outdoors have some good slim sealed Outland pedals for £18 or so.(Site shows £22 or £30 so I might have just struck lucky last week)

fathomer

Flats for me, tried spd’s as I have them on the road bike and didn’t like it after a couple of comedy offs, one of which couple have been pretty bad on another day.

Try and get a set of pedals second hand and a cheap pair of skate shoes (which is what I currently use) and have a go?

hora
    Free Member

I can’t understand why people ask questions like this.

Your on a forum too long if you feel you need to post on a subject to voice displeasure at an ontopic/onforum question though.

binners

Cheezpleez

I found 5.10s and Nanos were too grippy. Shimano give good grip but allow a bit of adjustment

dan1980
    Free Member

Start a new niche; hedge your bets by putting one foot in each camp… left foot flattie, right foot SPD…

That’s so last year…

Right foot flattie, and left foot SPD is where it’s at for 2012…. 8)

justatheory
    Free Member

Why the Benny Hill pics?

ampthill

I think I’ve got 4 sets of these. My bikes and the kids bikes

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=563&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_name=UnitedKingdom

I ride in walking boot and get on just fine…

Being clipped in does help with sprinting though

singlespeedstu

hora – Member

I can’t understand why people ask questions like this.

Your on a forum too long if you feel you need to post on a subject to voice displeasure at an ontopic/onforum question though.

Wrong. No displeasure being voiced.

I’m just pointing out that no matter what anyone says to you it won’t change what you like best.
    The only way to know is to try both out. 🙂

Northwind

I think it’s a good idea, for 2 reasons. First, you’ll find out if you prefer SPDs or flats, and that’s the most important consideration for what ones to use (unless you’re racing anyway). But second, they can both help bring out strengths and weaknesses in your riding, and even if you decide to go back to SPDs, flat techniques transfer back well.

Just, don’t give it a halfhearted try and then give up. It’ll probably feel crap at first, you may have to learn some basic skills and that’s frustrating when you’re an experienced rider. Loads of people don’t stick with it then just say they didn’t like it (this happens both ways, loads of flats riders dabble in SPDs too). You’ve got to give it long enough to get good at it, so you can compare with how it feels to be good with SPDs.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

I’ve tried SPD’s and never got on with them. I usually wear Vans with my flats but recently tried a pair of cheap Regatta shoes that I bought but never wore and they’re reet grippy, quite surprised as the one time I did wear them I nearly went arse for tit on a shopping centres tiled floor.

I like flats purely for the fact that you can get your foot down faster. I’m sure SPD users would disagree but I’m not skilled enough to use them.

gee
    Free Member

If spds make a 15% difference to power I think I’ll be sticking with them… For perspective, there is less than 10% between me and an Olympic spot so 15% would be gigantic!!

Flats just strike me as the equivalent of strapping your feet to skis with bits of leather… That said I do my pedals up very tight so they don’t unclip unless I want them to. I don’t think I’ve ever crashed because of the pedals – lack of skills/talent/bravery, yes. Pedals, no.

GB

brianh
    Free Member

Rode clipless until I had a couple unspectacular but painful falls so invested in a pair of 5.10’s and DMR flats and haven’t looked back since – all depends on what works for you and not what other people think so try it and see … 😉

ampthill

Surely 15% was plucked from the air?

I use to be dubious of the crashing due to not getting a foot free. But it looks like it does happen…

cookeaa

Other than jumping I really don’t get flat pedals. I actualy think the opposite, I try much harder not to crash while jumping than cornering for example so SPD’s arent a downside. Cornering is where it’s at on flats IMO, that’s where they really come into their own being able to go as hard as you dare and if it goes tits-up just step off the bike.

Total opposite for me, clip in and ride the slide, feet off ain’t the fastest way through a corner, clips or flats its all about body position and commitment innit…

billyboy
    Free Member

Yes. Do it.

Cougar

I never really considered “special” shoes for flat pedals. I wear an old pair of Salomon approach shoes with DMR V8s, and they stick like Catholic priests to small boys. Would there any benefit to be had in splashing out on something else? Er, shoes, I mean.

_tom_
    Free Member

I don’t get it either, skate shoes + wellgo v8s here and my grip is fine.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How can people ride clipless for so long and not be able to clip back in!!

For the more tech riding I upgraded to a pair of 5.10 Minarrs with CB Mallets. Gives me a stamp point when required after unclipping.

As for WC riders and Clips I reckon Lopes had a lot to say on the issue. I think he knows what he’s talking about.

Mugboo

7 yrs ago when I started riding, more experienced riders implied that you weren’t really a mountain biker without spuds.

I adapted to them quickly and rode them for 4 yrs & loved em.

But I like to try and improve technique wise, so I gave flats a go. This took alot more time to adjust! I’ve stuck with and can’t see why I would go back

Much as I regret not having more snowboard lessons (I’m stuck with my ‘style’) in the beginning, I also wish I’d not listened to those experts and spent a few years on flats.

And think how many things you bottle in your early riding years because of spuds…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

And think how many things you bottle in your early riding years because of spuds…

This still confuses me, was it just me that worked out how to unclip?

rOcKeTdOg

Start a new niche; hedge your bets by putting one foot in each camp… left foot flattie, right foot SPD…

That’s not new, i already do that

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Other way round for me – if your clipped, bottling something is a PITA (well clipping back in is usually the hard part)so more than likely I’ll just MTFU and hit it where as with flats I’d stop and have a faff, and mince around the obstacle.

I have crappy technique so spds stop the bike falling away from my feet on bigger drops, which is nice.

I don’t understand sticky rubber shoes, I like skate shoes but with a nice big slim flatties if I’m gonna run flats (the flat pedal world has moved on a bit from v8’s)

messiah
    Free Member

When I’m riding flats I miss the support of my carbon soled disco slippers. After about two hours of riding I get sore feet in my 5-10 Impacts despite wearing the same orthotic insoles… but my feet are pretty **** from years of ski boot abuse so YMMV etc.

I like flats and SPD’s; as has been stated above it’s great to be able to use both as each has it’s advantages.

VanHalen

i’m enjoying the sheer terror/faith required to corner at speed clipped in. i’m sure its making me a better rider.

flats for fun – clips for riding in circles

one day i`ll time myself on each pedal type if i ever get the time off family/work/life to ride for fun.

flyingmonkeycorps

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/revolution-contact-flat-pedals

These are the same as the sealed Outlands above I think, and also identical to Gusset Slim Jims. They’re not as nice as the newer generation of pedals, and you might need longer pins, but for the price (£20!) they’re a cracking bargain. They’re not *too* thick, and they have a nice wide platform. They’re also dead easy to strip and rebuild, and the bearings seem to last forever.

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

What everyone seems to be missing here is who started the thread and with that in mind, it could have been titled ‘I am tired of using my frame / forks / being left handed / The Peaks having no corners so out of practice * as an excuse for why my riding is crap so it’s time to blame the pedals’.

It’ll be handlebars next, or have we already done those?

* Yep, he actually said that to us in Morzine last year

nedrapier

The Peaks having no corners so out of practice

😆

hora
    Free Member

I’m not blaming the bike (or anything). I was just thinking post-having a go on someones bike in Scotland, should I try it? Its been 7yrs since I last rode flats and I remember you saying in France why not try them.

The only corners in the Peaks seem to be cheeky trails. Flame me but in the dark peak there isn’t much to be had of that.

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

I’m guessing you won’t like flats as you have been riding nothing but SPD’s for so long. Are you sure it was me who said that, as I am sure you asked me whether to bring flats and I told you to use what you were comfortable with, e.g. SPD’s.

If that is the case (I doubt it), the Dark Peak sounds shit.

I notice that you aren’t defending the left handed one 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Surely 15% was plucked from the air?

no, for my masters i worked on the instrumentation for a mechanical engineers project which involved strain guages. One of the papers I read as background was someone had put strainguages in various bike parts to measure efficiency.

The biggest losses were in the soles of trainers (they used normal trainers not skate shoes which have less padding underfoot), and the ‘pull’ in SPD’s was negligable under normal conditions, even riders who thought they were riding prefect circles and producing very even power outputs were infact still pressing down slightly on the upstroke, the up only comes into play in a sprint or mashing up a climb and even then was only about 5% of the power IIRC as the power is limited by your cardio system, so using different (i.e. you can use the oxygen/energy to pull up, or push down, not both) muscles was no better.

So flat pedals probably lose you about 10% in a sprint and 5% elswhere. More if you use unsuitable shoes.

The Peaks having no corners so out of practice

Is true, I moved away from the Peaks after 4 years there and couldn’t corner for toffee! I could ride down steep rocky chutes on a rigid bike all day long, but corners were ailien!

hora
    Free Member

I notice that you aren’t defending the left handed one

😆

billysugger
    Free Member

You can’t have a thread containing the words ‘flats’ and ‘spds’ without the phrase ‘you’re shit at riding ‘ and a mention of this guy.

T’is tradition.

jamiestogden
    Free Member

Cool thread, finding it very insightful. Anyway, I’ve just put some borrowed Superstar flat pedals on my hardtail. I’m hoping they give me more confidence going down faster as, if needed, i can put a foot down if i get into bother.

Anyway, trying on the cheap and dont want to buy some shoes until i know i want them (have you seen the price of some of them) 🙂 can anybody suggest which of my usual shoes would be best? Street type trainer which have a very flat but grooved sole or something just like my running trainers? Only going out to try for an hour or so at a time at local woods to start.

Cheers!

jam-bo

Try one on each foot.

Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Going from spd back to flats. Good idea?’ is closed to new replies.